Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Was Your First Favorite Song You Remember?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Praetorian
I got an idea for a cool thread from reading Staffy's thread from early music. What was your VERY first favorite song you remember as a kid? My first were Reach Out I'll Be There by the Four Tops (not a bad first if I say so myself!) and Don't Look Back by Boston...my parents had great taste in music!

What were yours?
ZakkWylde
Propably some crappy one-hit-wonder pop song that nobody remembers - I mean as a child you have no specific taste in music; you like what sounds catchy!

I remember that I was fascinated as a little child of 5 years by the song and video of Rattamahatta by Sepultura (back in the days when there was Metal on MTV!). I was terrified by the scarry video and sinister sound of the song but I also couldn't look or hear away when it was on...
del-4fr53e3
edguy
Hey ,

exactly the same song as Sollesnes biggrin.gif

It's so awful
purple hayes
Anne Murray - You Needed Me

/I'm so ashamed.
Sensible Jones
When I were a lad, all those many years ago, I grew up in a house full of music. My Dad had been a semi-pro Jazz Trumpet player and was also very keen on English Folk Music. My Mum was also musical and was a self-taught accordian player (mainly Folk type stuff). I also had an older Brother who was (and still is a Music Collector) so I don't really remember any one specific tune. I remember my Dad having an album called 'Jazz Brittania' which was all British groups but playing proper New Orleans style Trad Jazz whilst from my Brothers Room I could hear early 70's Glam Rock (The Sweet, Suzi Quatro, T Rex etc) and on the Radio I remember a lot of the Beatles and the Stones!

Aahh, the good old days when you could understand the lyrics!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
zen

I even sang both of those in front of the whole school when I couldnt even construct a sentence properly
Praetorian
QUOTE (zen @ Mar 16 2010, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I even sang both of those in front of the whole school when I couldnt even construct a sentence properly

Where is the video of THAT performance?! tongue.gif
audiopaal
I remember my first two, which came out in 1986 or 1987 smile.gif

Gitarrero
As my father was a guitar player in a "The Shadows" tribute band I'm pretty sure I had Apache, Atlantis and Wonderful Land stuck in my head when I was very young...
The Uncreator
I saw this on an episode of Beavis And Butthead when I was about 10 or so smile.gif

And I remember seeing this video/ hearing this song at a very young age

Fran
I'm not really sure, but these two have to be among them. I certainly didn't start listening to metal wink.gif

opeth.db
ZakkWylde
Lol at the steroid guitarist in the Alice Cooper Vid Audiopal!
Mandos

And most likely something with Just D xD
Rik Veldhuizen
Ah, yes... For me it was about mid seventies when it was more or less conscious listening. My parents had a lot of pink floyd, CCQ ao, so that was great, growing up... Father also played bass in a band that covered a lot of CCQ, so my early ones:

and

Adrian Figallo
i would love to lie here but:

what can i say biggrin.gif

but now seriously, my father is an amazing musician, and thanks god i had red hots, metallica, nirvana, steve vai and many many many more when i was a little kid, one of the oldest i remember is mr john fogerty, awesome or what?

opeth.db
Wait now that Im thinking about it it was this soundtrack for this movie by ELO and olivia newton john. Man I lvoed her back in the day..

Emir Hot
Deep Purple "BURN" from the live album "Made in Europe"
Mr T
For me it was The Prophet's Song by Queen... still like it smile.gif
audiopaal
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 16 2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol at the steroid guitarist in the Alice Cooper Vid Audiopal!

I know, hehe..

His name is Kane Roberts, awesome guitarist.
He even released a great solo album once upon a time (if you're into 80s hair-metal).

Check this out, I think he's the singer as well smile.gif

Gary
As a kid I really loved sugar infused cheesy pop songs... this is the first record I remember buying laugh.gif

Here is another 45 record I remember buying.. most people on this site probably have no idea what a 45 record is..lol

Crazy_Diamond
For me it's Closing Time from Semisonic

coffeeman
I don't remember but my uncle says it's the dark side of the moon from Pink Floyd, he says that every time he had to babysit me, I always asked him for the song with the helicopter.

zen
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Mar 17 2010, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where is the video of THAT performance?! tongue.gif

hahha .. .. unfortunately .. i dont have any vids of it sad.gif ... I only have vivid memories of sweaty palms and shaky nervous voice laugh.gif
Staffy
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Mar 16 2010, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Deep Purple "BURN" from the live album "Made in Europe"

Who can expected something else??? biggrin.gif I was growing up with Purple as my favourites as well, but there was other bands like The Sweet, Eagles, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Alice Cooper & others. But unfortunately the first one I remember was this - which also was my first own record that I got when I was five.........

blindwillie
Deep Purple - Smoke on the water. Made in Japan. OFC

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Vasilije Vukmirovic
"Twist in my Sobriety", I watched MTV spot on TV as kid in kindergarden, really! smile.gif
Later, after many years I found out what is the name of the song! Can't remember the name of the singer, but this song is very popular!
Praetorian
QUOTE (Gary @ Mar 17 2010, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is another 45 record I remember buying.. most people on this site probably have no idea what a 45 record is..lol

I certainly do! I remember riding in my uncle's Nova that had an 8 track!
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ Mar 18 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Twist in my Sobriety", I watched MTV spot on TV as kid in kindergarden, really! smile.gif
Later, after many years I found out what is the name of the song! Can't remember the name of the singer, but this song is very popular!

Tinita Tikarem!! biggrin.gif
Marek Rojewski
My first favorite song if I recall correctly was - What Becomes of the Broken Hearted performed by Paul Young. Another song on the same tape, that my father gave to me was Final Countdown and Be a Japan:P
playaxeman
Deep Purple "Made in Japan Live "
mattacuk
good thread, and I can remember my first favorite song clear as day smile.gif

Boson
I'm with Blind Willie

Two great choices that I might have choosen too. In my opinion they don't get much better!

I can remember going to see all these great rock bands at Newcastle City Hall or the Newcastle Mayfair. By todays standards these are very small venues and you weer so close you could touch the bands, however as you see audiences were much more restrained and appreciative of the music than today.

Those Marshall stacks were seriously loud and I remember being frightened by the volume at my first ever gigg but loving it too! I dont think my ears have ever recovered from the first Slade gig I went too!

The great thing was that the music was loud, exciting and raw just as it should be. Today in the age of stadium rock I find that the bands are too distant, too polished and somehow music suffers because of that.

Sorry to be an old git but I do sometimes feel that "corporate rock" has taken over. However with GMC there is real hope that more and more of us can push real music.
MickeM
My first, I could have been 5 yrs or something.

The real music started with these that I had on a tape which was

My first record and my two favorite songs from it

Aaaah, the 80's cool.gif

Born of NWOBHM \m/
Marcus Siepen
Should be Another brick in the Wall for me, at least from what I remember in the moment.
Berglmir
One of my earliest favorite songs:

It must have been an inspiration for me to get into guitars
Staffy
QUOTE (Boson @ Mar 18 2010, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with Blind Willie
Sorry to be an old git but I do sometimes feel that "corporate rock" has taken over. However with GMC there is real hope that more and more of us can push real music.

+1 Im also with You guy's, I remember those day's when the bands could PLAY, visiting a live concert was always 10 times better than the record, and there was no tricks, pre-recorded stuff or anything fake. They just played played their shirt off....

//Staffay

QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 19 2010, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My first, I could have been 5 yrs or something.

Aaaahh, I remember this one too!! Gullan Bornemark, her music is epic! biggrin.gif

//Staffay
kahall
I was 6 yrs old in 1969 when this hit the charts and I loved it. I have very distinct memories involving this song and movie.

Gary
QUOTE (kahall @ Mar 20 2010, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was 6 yrs old in 1969 when this hit the charts and I loved it. I have very distinct memories involving this song and movie.

We are the same age and I too vividly remember seeing this movie. Sitting in the back of my folks car at the drive in theater, dressed in pajamas..amazing wink.gif
Thanks for posting this.
Gary
kahall
QUOTE (Gary @ Mar 19 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are the same age and I too vividly remember seeing this movie. Sitting in the back of my folks car at the drive in theater, dressed in pajamas..amazing wink.gif
Thanks for posting this.
Gary

Ahh the drive in. I lived in CA from 0-6 and we went often. I did not see Butch at drive in but I do remember seeing Marooned, which was spoofed on MST3000 years ago and Easy Rider. During the scene where the riders pull over to snort (something) I remember asking my dad what they were doing. His reply was something along the line of their noses were dried out from riding. heh!
Bogdan Radovic
Definitly this one:

Praetorian
QUOTE (kahall @ Mar 19 2010, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahh the drive in.

We still have a drive in near my house! We took the girls to see "Up" there last summer...they LOVED the whole experience!
Ivan Milenkovic
not sure, I listened to local rock bands when I was reallya kid, but once I started to really get interested in music, this what was available at my house, along with The Doors album.

Daniel Realpe
first one that came to mind

my brother used to play it, and then I played the LP myself tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.