Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guitar Pro Vs. Power Tab
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Suib
I noticed that you have a download for a trial period of a software called Guitar Pro and after 15 days you can decide weather you would like to buy it or not. Well, i have the software Power Tab and its free. There really is no apparent difference i can see besides the easy to navigate bottom display on GP. So i was just asking what you all think of these two softwares.:

Link for PT: http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php
Link for GP: http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=download

(For the power tab link you have to scroll down to where it says download now at about a quarter of the way down the page)
Igorrr
Did not know of Power-Tab before you mentioned it.

I bought Guitar Pro 5 last year and looking at Power-Tab pro it looks like the main differences are:

- Multiple Tracks - Full Band playback (meaning you will have the tabs for all voices of the song)
- Loop and Speed Trainer
- RSE (Instead of Standard MIDI you have more realistic Guitar, Bass and Drum sounds) (although I practically never use it)

For sure there are some more, but these are my first impressions.
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Igorrr @ Apr 10 2007, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did not know of Power-Tab before you mentioned it.

I bought Guitar Pro 5 last year and looking at Power-Tab pro it looks like the main differences are:

- Multiple Tracks - Full Band playback (meaning you will have the tabs for all voices of the song)
- Loop and Speed Trainer
- RSE (Instead of Standard MIDI you have more realistic Guitar, Bass and Drum sounds) (although I practically never use it)

For sure there are some more, but these are my first impressions.

And GP reads and writes PT files so has the greatest compatibility.
Zee Deveel
'Cause one is good and one is not.

Besides, you can get any software for free if you know where to look. tongue.gif
BalysLTU
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Apr 11 2007, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'Cause one is good and one is not.

Besides, you can get any software for free if you know where to look. tongue.gif

That aint legal. He ho downloads his software is a cheap son of a *****
AIB234
Personally, I like PT better.

Simply because it flows when playing, it doesn't jump from note to note like GP. Granted, multiple trackness of GP is sweet.
fkalich
QUOTE (BalysLTU @ Apr 11 2007, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That aint legal. He ho downloads his software is a cheap son of a *****

I used to use illegal software, but I reformed. No different from breaking into a neighbor's garage. Just as wrong.
Ryan
O well free downloads is great with me biggrin.gif....I will only live once...so i dont want to spend my whole life trying to get the money to buy stuff...when its right there for free biggrin.gif!!!!! cheap son of a ***** yea maybe but o well biggrin.gif!!!!

now payin for gmc thats different.....biggrin.gif
boneT
this is my first post....i am not familiar with either SW program yet but I do know that without integrity in everything you will not be a GREAT musician. It is not possible. You may hit the note but the note will be
empty and without soul. So pony up and pay for the software. Pay your dues if you want to play the blues! cool.gif
Grae
been using Guuitar Pro 4 for a few years now, I enjoy the multi tracking as me and a friend sometimes jam and we both play guitar so with both tracks we can play different things

It does kind of play one note at a time though, rather than a sequence of note,s if you get what I mean, it's kind of ugly sounding.
boneT
this is my first post....i am not familiar with either SW program yet but I do know that without integrity in everything you will not be a GREAT musician. It is not possible. You may hit the note but the note will be
empty and without soul. So pony up and pay for the software. Pay your dues if you want to play the blues! cool.gif
Leijon
I´m leaving the "pay-for-software" discussion for another thread and continue on the original topic.

If you want to use the .gp5 tabs without paying for the Guitar Pro software, you can use TuxGuitar which also is OpenSorce and is available for several OS:s (Windows, MacOS, Linux flavours). Though I don´t think it is on par with GP, I find it more than adequate for playing.
blindwillie
Mmmm, thanks for the tip about tuxguitar! I'll lcheck it out because I like free stuff and use linux too occasionally.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.