Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does Pick Position Matter That Much?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
fatstrat
I had a couple questions about pick position when holding it....I hold my pick a little differently than most (the thumb and the middle finger) and so far hasnt caused me any problems. I am able to pinch harmonic the same by using the thumb, strum the same and speed pick chords just the same. So I guess I'm just wondering if pick position really impacts your playing that much and if I need to remedy my pick position??
jete124
QUOTE (fatstrat @ Apr 14 2007, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a couple questions about pick position when holding it....I hold my pick a little differently than most (the thumb and the middle finger) and so far hasnt caused me any problems. I am able to pinch harmonic the same by using the thumb, strum the same and speed pick chords just the same. So I guess I'm just wondering if pick position really impacts your playing that much and if I need to remedy my pick position??

Eddie Van Halen holds it that way, and it seems to work out pretty well for him. Pick positions are kind of like batting stances in baseball. There is a preferred way to do it, but really whatever works and it comfortable for you is the best way to go.
fkalich
QUOTE (jete124 @ Apr 14 2007, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eddie Van Halen holds it that way, and it seems to work out pretty well for him. Pick positions are kind of like batting stances in baseball. There is a preferred way to do it, but really whatever works and it comfortable for you is the best way to go.

I can see advantages to holding it that way, and disadvantages. But all in all, a perfectly sensible way to hold it. You can pick a note and quickly tap with your index finger lower down the neck, that is nice.

I think I will use that. Not all the time, but it clearly has its advantages. No reason you can't hold it one way sometimes, another way other times.
Ryan
Yea know i havent even really thought of playing that way tongue.gif i dont know why but i havent, im gonna try it..and it see if it helps me any tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.