Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tubes Are Beautiful
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Mudbone
These are some pics I posted on another post, but thought I could start another thread with them.

Simply put, tubes are beautiful. The dancing of blue electrons in a glass bottle during the pitch darkness of night is mesmerizing. Tubes are a marvel of the Industrial Revolution, now relegated to history books... except in the world of guitar players.

If you have any pictures of beautiful tubes, please share them on this post.

To get the best results here is what you will need:

- A tripod: The camera must remain absolutely motionless
- pitch darkness
- long shutter opening: I used 30 seconds on these pictures, but use what ever works for the conditions
- wide aperture: I used 2.8, because thats the widest it would open on my camera. Remember, the smaller the number, the bigger the aperture.
- I don't remember the ISO I used, but the lower the ISO, the more saturated and less grainy the pictures will be.

Edit: These pictures were taken when the amp was played at low volumes with a mediocre camera. If you get the tubes blazing hot and have a great SLR camera, you will get amazing results, much better than what I got smile.gif

Brandon Earman
Sick!!! I want to try this, I just need a nice SLR camera first. smile.gif
Mudbone
QUOTE (Brandon Earman @ Nov 15 2010, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sick!!! I want to try this, I just need a nice SLR camera first. smile.gif

You don't really need an SLR to take these pictures, but an SLR will get you better results. All you need is a camera with adjustable aperture and shutter speeds. In fact, these pictures weren't taken with an SLR, its just a regular Sony Cyber-shot.
Fran
Beauuutiful pics indeed man smile.gif

I take it they are from the amp you reviewed, I'll add them to the knowledge base review, which I'm going to make now cool.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
I agree, tubes look awesome! biggrin.gif Love the way they glow smile.gif
Mudbone
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 16 2010, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, tubes look awesome! biggrin.gif Love the way they glow smile.gif

Ivan, if you ever get a chance, you should take some pics of those glowing EL34's in your HIWATT, we would all love to see them smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Sure thing mate, as soon as I have the chance smile.gif
maharzan
Awesome man.. need to try that. Tubes are definitely beautiful and sounds awesome. smile.gif
Mudbone
These glowing tubes are in a Peavey Valveking head. I took these pictures for a review I'm about to write on said head, and decided to share them on this thread.

One thing I noticed is these tubes are a lot brighter than the tubes in the Ultra Plus. This leads me to suspect that the tubes in the Ultra Plus are really old, and are most likely the original ones from the manufacturer. Looks like its time to change the tubes in the Ultra Plus biggrin.gif

Stephane Lucarelli
Nice pictures man!
Tubes are beautiful indeed !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.