Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trio Playing And Songlist
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
justreleased
What's up guys?

I have started a three piece and we are having trouble getting a 3 set song list together. Our general audience can range anywhere from 18-50, so the music could be pretty varied. We need songs people enjoy hearing. Can anyone offer any song suggestions that go over well? Also, I play guitar and sing in this trio. Are there any pointers you could give in regards to making the trio song good and filling the space?
Any overall advice would be excellent. Thanks!
dark dude
I assume you're playing in a pub, or?
justreleased
QUOTE (dark dude @ Feb 27 2011, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I assume you're playing in a pub, or?

Yes. Smal to medium sized clubs.

Blayze
Jerry Arcidiacono
I have some experience on that topic since I've played many shows with different electric trio, even singing some songs.

You can take take a look at some 60's or 70's stuff like Cream, Hendrix, Police. When I did my first gigs, Nirvana were pretty popular and so we played some modern songs from them or other bands like Bush, Soundgarden, RHCP and so on.

If you have a bass player with some experience with FXs, this can help for the overall sound and support you through your solos, adding some overdrive or octaves. Just take a look at Muse and what they are doing live!
Ivan Milenkovic
Since you are the only guitar in the band, you should choose songs that can fit your band profile. You will be doing most of the work in terms of playing rhythm, lead and singing, so see if the bassist is capable of supporting the lead guitar parts. Also, it would be great if the bass player could sing, cause this already sounds much better.
Bogdan Radovic
Generally in this type of setting a lot of pressure is on the bass player and drummer to fill the empty space when you go into the solo.
What I did in trio bands is to use overdrive during guitar solos and tend to play generally busy and hard hitting bass lines in order to fill as much space as possible. Octaves pedal can be an interesting choice for the bass player too, but overall it's the "how you play it" - attitude that fills most of the space.

Regarding set list, I would choose the ones that suit your band well (your voice and style of music you play). Choose only ones you can perform at its best. People like hearing well known songs - so don't be shy to play huge hit songs (that are boring to some musicians) like smoke on the water, proud marry etc smile.gif) Anything from youtube that has more then few million views and is in your genre will work smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.