Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cool Idea About A Tone Competition
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2
Praetorian
I thought it would be cool for there to be a lesson posted, with the tabs and backing track, but not to hear the instructor play it. Then, we could all come up with our own tones for it, and post videos. I'll bet people would come up with totally different ideas of what it should sound like, and maybe even pick a winner. What do you think?
Bogdan Radovic
Really interesting idea. It doesn't have to be in form of competition - maybe a forum game/challenge?

Someone could pick the random lesson from archive (older one for example) and just post the tab and backing not saying what is the name of the lesson and letting other members come up with their arrangement smile.gif
maharzan
This could be fun! smile.gif
Fran
Sounds great to me smile.gif
thefireball
Yeah! Sounds cool!
quadrium
Great idea! As Bogdan said we can make a forum challenge. Sounds fun smile.gif

Dogukan,
Todd Simpson
Great idea smile.gif If everyone makes a video for it as well, I can cut them together and we can make a collab video out of it smile.gif

Todd
Praetorian
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 11 2011, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great idea smile.gif If everyone makes a video for it as well, I can cut them together and we can make a collab video out of it smile.gif

Todd

That would be great! Any instructor want to take on this challenge and get it going?
Gabriel Leopardi
I like the idea! Who should pick the backing and tab from the archive?
JD_
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Apr 10 2011, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it would be cool for there to be a lesson posted, with the tabs and backing track, but not to hear the instructor play it. Then, we could all come up with our own tones for it, and post videos. I'll bet people would come up with totally different ideas of what it should sound like, and maybe even pick a winner. What do you think?

Awesome Idea
Adrian Figallo
i LOVE it, would love to see different versions of my lessons, im sure every instructor would agree smile.gif
Praetorian
I think it should be a new lesson however. One in which nobody has heard what the instructor had in mind when he tabbed it, and made his tone! That way, all the performances would be completely original!

Please don't make it too hard though! Level 4 or lower I request!
Adrian Figallo
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jul 21 2011, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it should be a new lesson however. One in which nobody has heard what the instructor had in mind when he tabbed it, and made his tone! That way, all the performances would be completely original!

Please don't make it too hard though! Level 4 or lower I request!

Ahh i got it now biggrin.gif! yeah it doesn't make much sense with a previous version already recorded, i could create a new lesson specially for this, but i dont know if my style fits what people wants smile.gif
Praetorian
For the experimental run, I think any style would work! I think that picked notes instead of strummed chords would have the best chance of different interpretation though.
Ben Higgins
Very interesting idea ! Yeah, I think a rock solo of some description would work smile.gif

Gitarrero
That's a cool idea!
Adrian, everybody at GMC loves your style wink.gif so go for it!

Christian
Adrian Figallo
sure dude, i will do it!
should we make a poll or something?
Praetorian
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Jul 22 2011, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure dude, i will do it!
should we make a poll or something?

Actually, I think for the first one we shouldn't do a competition. It might scare some people away who otherwise may willing to give it a shot. Maybe just a collaboration and we could all just enjoy the different interpretations?

What do you guys think?
Adrian Figallo
lets not make a competition, in fact i dont think you can compete doing art.. or in something so subjective like music, let's just have fun, im thinking about making the tab without showing the bends or vibratos so its even more free style.

i ment a poll to decide the style/feel of the song.
Ivan Milenkovic
kinda slow rock version, but with good beat to it, would be nice. Adrian you're expert in this, can we hear some fat rhythm that we can use? smile.gif

I think it would be awesome if we had one topic dedicated to this, with all the takes, and later on we can comment on it! smile.gif

What do you guys think? Adrian my man? smile.gif
Gitarrero
Slow rock sounds cool, I think it gives us more choices when it comes to tone, you can try clean, crunchy or distorted with all sorts of effects...so let's not discuss anymore, get to work Adrian laugh.gif
Adrian Figallo
i will work on this this next days for sure, a juicy rock/bluesy beat should do it smile.gif
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Jul 22 2011, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i will work on this this next days for sure, a juicy rock/bluesy beat should do it smile.gif

Very cool! This is a great idea smile.gif Putting everyones takes together could make some very spiff results!

What about the Backing? Drum track, Bass track, etc.?

ADRIAN: Are you or Ben going to produce a Drum/Bass backing for folks to interpret the Tab/main riff over?

Todd
Adrian Figallo
hey todd im going to create a nice backing track/lesson for this, im going to talk to kris to make it available here before going live in the site smile.gif
JamesT
Sweet! This is going to be great.
Praetorian
Awesome guys...this is going to be a lot of fun! I can't wait to see how different the interpretations are!!
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jul 22 2011, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome guys...this is going to be a lot of fun! I can't wait to see how different the interpretations are!!

PS Praetorian is that your car in your icon? You roll a Big Block Hemi? If so, well played wink.gif
Praetorian
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 23 2011, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS Praetorian is that your car in your icon? You roll a Big Block Hemi? If so, well played wink.gif

Not a Hemi brother...Chevy power! It's a '70 Chevelle
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jul 23 2011, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a Hemi brother...Chevy power! It's a '70 Chevelle

NICE! Is it an SS? I can't tell much from the icon. Going blind from too much practice smile.gif Is that you at the track/strip? Looks like you are about to torque the frame! A fine start. What will it do in the standing quarter?

I drive an ancient Caddy which I found with a NorthStar engine in it. I"ve been a fan of V8's ever since. The caddy only takes premium so it's a bit of a pig on Gas.

Adrian Figallo
just want to let u know guys, that im working on the track smile.gif
Gitarrero
Awesome!
Praetorian
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Jul 25 2011, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just want to let u know guys, that im working on the track smile.gif

Thanks Adrian!
Adrian Figallo
the track is done and sounding awesome guys, it's a pretty western/rock/blues track and i love the guitar solo on it.
i gotta tab it now, and it will be pretty hard biggrin.gif

then GMC has the last word on when its going to be published, but im glad this idea is working!
del-4fr53e3
Congrats, Adrian smile.gif
Are you thinking it's going to be a competition? smile.gif
Praetorian
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Aug 6 2011, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it will be pretty hard biggrin.gif

What difficulty level are you giving it?
Adrian Figallo
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Aug 6 2011, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats, Adrian smile.gif
Are you thinking it's going to be a competition? smile.gif

I do think it's going to be a friendly competition, but im not sure to be honest.

QUOTE (Praetorian @ Aug 6 2011, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What difficulty level are you giving it?

Well almost all my lessons are easy to play, this one is like a 3? maybe a 4, but has some smalls details that could be hard to perform, you gotta wait and listen tongue.gif

I'm very proud of my own tone for the lesson, so i CAN'T WAIT to hear yours guys, this is a brilliant idea, specially for a tone freak like me.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Aug 6 2011, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the track is done and sounding awesome guys, it's a pretty western/rock/blues track and i love the guitar solo on it.
i gotta tab it now, and it will be pretty hard biggrin.gif

then GMC has the last word on when its going to be published, but im glad this idea is working!

Cool Adrian! Can't wait to hear the track. I'm sure that it ROCKS! smile.gif
Praetorian
Awesome! I thought you meant it was going to be hard to play! I can't wait to get the tabs in my hands and get started! \m/
Adrian Figallo
i think everyone should be able to play it, maybe practicing a bit some small chunks smile.gif
Praetorian
Hi Adrian...just checking in to see how it's coming! Don't mean to be a pain, I'm just very excited about this!!!
JamesT
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Aug 19 2011, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Adrian...just checking in to see how it's coming! Don't mean to be a pain, I'm just very excited about this!!!

+1
Me too. I think it will be fun. Plus it will be really interesting to hear everyones interpretation of the tabs before they have heard the original. I'll bet the phrasing will be different on every take. It would be cool to also have a final mix kind of like a collab just to hear them all at once for comparison.

Praetorian
QUOTE (JamesT @ Aug 19 2011, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+1
Me too. I think it will be fun. Plus it will be really interesting to hear everyones interpretation of the tabs before they have heard the original. I'll bet the phrasing will be different on every take. It would be cool to also have a final mix kind of like a collab just to hear them all at once for comparison.

I totally agree! I think people will vibrato, and bend notes in completely different places!
Todd Simpson
Glad to hear! Can't wait to hear it !

Todd
Adrian Figallo
im recording the video for the lesson this weekend, and it should be up very soon smile.gif
Praetorian
Hi Adrian...any updates?
Adrian Figallo
hey hey, it's all done and going live in the next few days smile.gif
Praetorian
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Sep 7 2011, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey hey, it's all done and going live in the next few days smile.gif

AWESOME!!! I can't wait...this is going to be a lot of fun! I'm not going to listen to anyone else's version until I am done with mine. I want my take to be 100% from my mind and not be influenced by anyone else's version!
Gitarrero
Nice! I am so looking forward to it!
Adrian Figallo
me too biggrin.gif!
Praetorian
Any news?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.