Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans... What?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Kristofer Dahl
Check out Stephane's new lesson, "Chord Melody Workout Minor 7"

How often do you transpose chord voicings, as part of your practicing routine? This is a typical thing for jazz students to practice - but it can of course also be applied to progressive metal genres etc (and even be considered an important advantage as this is something a lot of guitarist skip)
Todd Simpson
Very cool Lesson! Also very important subject. This is something that is a bit of a blind spot for many guitarists/musicians and it's something well worth learning. A old band mate of mine named Steve Flynn (when I was playing in his band GNOSTIC) introduced me to some of one of his work in "Death Jazz" (An album he played on ages ago in a band named ATHEIST called "Elements" ) and I was blown away. This was years ago, but I remember being struck by how original it sounded and by the fact that much of the modal structure in certain parts was being done in chords by the bass player.

It was then that I realized how little this type of thing is used in many forms of traditional metal that tend to focus more on power chords and leads. Many forms do embrace this type of approach and it's growing constantly. It's a great way to set yourself and your music apart. It's also just fun, not to mention plain cool.

Todd
Ivan Milenkovic
Not often at the moment to be honest, but I'm practicing harmony a lot for some time, it's doing alright. Still cannot transpose with comfort on-the-go, but if I have a day to prepare, it's a-OK. smile.gif
Stephane Lucarelli
You're right guys, it's a very important subject & it requires a lot of work, but it's important to do it, whatever style of music you like.
Btw I recommend to check out some very very great books by Ted Greene : Chord Chemistry & Modern Chord Progressions .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.