Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can You Handle Steve Vai's Workout?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
slash48
Hey, I thought I would tell you guys about Steve Vai's 30 Hour Guitar Workout since not too many people seem to know about it. It was a section Steve Vai wrote in a long-forgotten Guitar World magazine about a 30 Hour Workout divided into 10 hours each day for 3 days! I'm gonna tackle it tomorrow in my last 3 days before I'm back at school and I was wondering if anyone wants to tackle it with me. I finally found the full version in color without ads online- http://picksnlicks.com/Guitar%20Lessons/Ex..._workout_1.html.

By the way, you'll need some tools to work through this... Here's my recommended stuff-
Eartrainer- Earmaster Pro
Books on Chords- Modern Chord Progressions and Chord Chemistry by Virtuoso Jazz Guitarist Ted Greene
Theory Book- The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine
From the basics and the major scale to advanced reharmonization

I will be writing back after I've done it to tell you guys my gains-which I hope will be enormous!

Go! biggrin.gif

Adrian Figallo
wow, thanks for that link man, will check it out!
Gabriel Leopardi
yeah, I know this method and I think that it's really good. Even if you don't plan to play 10 hours per day asi it says, it a very good guide to build your own guitar routine. I personally use the categories when I give private lessons. I also bought some of those book after reading Steve's recommendation, and I'm happy with it.
Ivan Milenkovic
That's an awesome method no doubt. It's great that it lasts 3 days. You won't become instant virtuoso after those 3 days, but at least you can construct your routine better after that.

PS Other books are all excellent reading, I've read them all, Levine one is really nicely written.
slash48
Yeah, the Mark Levine one really made everything click for me theory-wise. He's a great writer.... Alright, I better start this thing if I'm doing it! I'll write back in 4 days to tell you guys my improvements....
Bye!
Cosmin Lupu
hehe biggrin.gif I knew about it as well. When I was 18-19, I discovered it and started working out, but somehow school got in my way and I couldn't play 10 hrs a day.. I managed 8 sometimes, but that was tops I think biggrin.gif
fkalich
nothing there that you can't find in double triple quadruple+ here with GMC lessons. Besides, I don't want to take anyone's advice who would dress up as he does on that link, definite candidate for silliest thing I have ever seen on a man. Might look better on some women.
Sinisa Cekic
Great article,thanks smile.gif
slash48
Hey guys, here's a better quality link- http://www.freewebs.com/edeninruins/stevev...lightenment.pdf

Cheers!
Daniel Realpe
definitely recommended! it's something I definitely did sometime in my early years
xxxridzr
I working on this as well and will post my result, needless to say Vai is my guitar hero!
slash48
First day was a cool.... Note to people who are about to do it- Make sure you give yourself more then 10 hours- like 11 or 12 to do the workout because you wouldn't guess it but changing the metronome settings, and writing down the exercises can really add up! Ben always says the only opponent is within and that's a good way to look at this workout I think.... I think I might make sight reading only 30 min. so I can add 30 min. to technique.... Good luck xxxridzr, nice to no somebody else is doing it too!

Cheers!
Todd Simpson
Very cool lesson! Thanks for sharing smile.gif
Adrian Figallo
i would love to do this, but i just can't practice 10 hours a day, i gotta pay the rent you know biggrin.gif
MonkeyDAthos
im gonna give a try : o i have still 3 weeks before school start! Gonna try do an 100 hours work out, since i don't have anything to do this week
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (slash48 @ Aug 23 2011, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First day was a cool.... Note to people who are about to do it- Make sure you give yourself more then 10 hours- like 11 or 12 to do the workout because you wouldn't guess it but changing the metronome settings, and writing down the exercises can really add up! Ben always says the only opponent is within and that's a good way to look at this workout I think.... I think I might make sight reading only 30 min. so I can add 30 min. to technique.... Good luck xxxridzr, nice to no somebody else is doing it too!

Cheers!

Awesome to hear about your progress! WOW - so you did 10 hour session? How do you feel? Did you make pauses?
slash48
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 23 2011, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome to hear about your progress! WOW - so you did 10 hour session? How do you feel? Did you make pauses?

Day 2 done too! I paused and scrolled GMC or did ear training when my hands were tired.... I feel tired. biggrin.gif .... I feel like I'd rather play 5 hours tomorrow but I'm already 2/3 done so I'll push through it! Day 2 was much easier then day 1 probably because I'd already done it once! I'm already seeing improvements in Alternate Picking, Sweep Picking, Ears, Music Theory knowledge, basically everything...The way Steve Vai planned this workout is if you do it correctly and make sure your giving 100 percent effort, you'll see benefits in really every single part of being a musician. I know I can't give up when all I've got is day 3 to get through... biggrin.gif

Cheers
MonkeyDAthos
QUOTE (slash48 @ Aug 24 2011, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Day 2 done too! I paused and scrolled GMC or did ear training when my hands were tired.... I feel tired. biggrin.gif .... I feel like I'd rather play 5 hours tomorrow but I'm already 2/3 done so I'll push through it! Day 2 was much easier then day 1 probably because I'd already done it once! I'm already seeing improvements in Alternate Picking, Sweep Picking, Ears, Music Theory knowledge, basically everything...The way Steve Vai planned this workout is if you do it correctly and make sure your giving 100 percent effort, you'll see benefits in really every single part of being a musician. I know I can't give up when all I've got is day 3 to get through... biggrin.gif

Cheers

GOGOGO!!
Adrian Figallo
dont give up dude, make the 30 hours smile.gif
The Uncreator
I've done it once, about 2 years ago. Its surprisingly exhausting, also didn't play for about 2 days after it. But its a nice way to see progress quite quickly.
slash48
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 23 2011, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GOGOGO!!

Did it! biggrin.gif It was, like Uncreator said, exhausting and I would rather not see a fretboard for a couple of days ... tongue.gif
It did gave quick progress but I don't think I would do it again soon because after doing it I'm kinda sick of the guitar and don't wanna play for a couple days. Was fun though and I'm glad I did it...
Cheers!
Adrian Figallo
QUOTE (slash48 @ Aug 25 2011, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did it! biggrin.gif It was, like Uncreator said, exhausting and I would rather not see a fretboard for a couple of days ... tongue.gif
It did gave quick progress but I don't think I would do it again soon because after doing it I'm kinda sick of the guitar and don't wanna play for a couple days. Was fun though and I'm glad I did it...
Cheers!

Congrats dude, it's way too hard to my taste, but you rock man, you rock.
Ivan Milenkovic
QUOTE (slash48 @ Aug 25 2011, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers!

yeah, I remember you started with this one man. I'm glad you made it smile.gif Power of will smile.gif
Nihilist1
Another good ear trainer is a program called 'Functional Ear Trainer'. I have been using it for a couple weeks and have already ha fantastic results. How did day 3 go?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.