Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Techniques You Like But Don't Use...
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Ben Higgins
I really like good use of whammy bar techniques and tapping but these are not features of my guitar playing. There's no real good reason why they're not part of my repertoire.. with whammy bars they either make my guitar go out of tune or the tremolo system wasn't good enough. With tapping I just don't do enough of it, so it's something I could change. These are just 2 that come to mind but I'm sure there's loads more if I thought harder about it..

What about you guys ? Are there techniques which you really like the sound of but haven't incorporated into your own playing ? If so, why ?
CathShadow
Whammy - my guitar goes HORRIBLY outa tune from it...
and sweep picking... mostly cause I'm terrible at it...
Tapping too lol...

those 3 mainly
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (CathShadow @ Sep 2 2011, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whammy - my guitar goes HORRIBLY outa tune from it...
and sweep picking... mostly cause I'm terrible at it...
Tapping too lol...

those 3 mainly

Haha, yes I'm with you on the sweep picking thing. That's the main reason I decided to devote some time to a sweep exercise I came up with and put in the forum here I'm weak at sweeping so I thought we could all progress at it together
CathShadow
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 2 2011, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha, yes I'm with you on the sweep picking thing. That's the main reason I decided to devote some time to a sweep exercise I came up with and put in the forum here I'm weak at sweeping so I thought we could all progress at it together

Ahhh SWEET! thanks!
Satchstet
Alternate Picking and Sweep picking. I suck at both. mad.gif I'm working on my AP but it is a long slow process so if I need to generate speed I use tapping or legato. If I need a fast arpeggio passage I usually use tapped 7th arpeggios. I really wish I had some decent AP chops but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards for me......I'll keep working at it though.

Ben......you should get an Ibanez equipped with a ZR tremolo.......it uses ball bearings instead of knife edge/fulcrum mechanism and it is awesomely stable!!! cool.gif
Gitarrero
Hmm...sweeping, whammy bar and tapping for me. Although I do tap sometimes, but with the edge of my pick...can't really do it with my right hand fingers.
I'm with you on the sweeping challenge, Ben! If only I could "un-angle" my hand better...

Christian
Cosmin Lupu
I think I have flaws at every technique laugh.gifbiggrin.gif but I'd like to use some cool eightfinger tapping stuff sometimes - just can't find enough time and patience to study nowadays tongue.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Satchstet @ Sep 2 2011, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ben......you should get an Ibanez equipped with a ZR tremolo.......it uses ball bearings instead of knife edge/fulcrum mechanism and it is awesomely stable!!! cool.gif

Yeah, technology has moved on thankfully.. I remember the old Floyd Rose on my Jackson had a horrible, dated design where you had to cut off the ball ends of the string, insert them into the bridge, then tighten these bits up so the string end stayed in place... dry.gif Too much work !

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 2 2011, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with you on the sweeping challenge, Ben! If only I could "un-angle" my hand better...

Christian

There's no such thing as 'if only..'

If you want to do it, you will do it !

I'm watching you, Mr Driever..... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 2 2011, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I have flaws at every technique laugh.gifbiggrin.gif but I'd like to use some cool eightfinger tapping stuff sometimes - just can't find enough time and patience to study nowadays tongue.gif

Imagine if you just sprung an insane, level 10 difficulty, 8 finger tapping lesson on us out of nowhere ! biggrin.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Well, it's same here ol' boy, whammy and tapping are something I never really practiced systematically. Tapping I don't like using that much, although I find it cool, I should learn more licks.. With the whammy, I actually like the tremolo on my strat, and it doesn't go out of tune that much, but I broke the bar, and must get a new one laugh.gif
fkalich
I knew this thread was started by you Ben, before I opened it. You do initiate good threads.

In answer to your thread question, There are 4 techniques which I intend to get into eventually.

1) Wammy bar.
2) I don't finger pick. I am not talking about hybrid picking, I will do that, I mean bonafide finger picking where you don't use a pick.
3) I don't do the multi fingered tap thing. I always tap with one finger, the middle finger, so I have the pick ready at an instant. When I start finger picking, I will do some multi fingered tapping.
4) Slide guitar.

Other than that, I do everything, except shred. By that I mean trying to play at such a speed that one's notes are not clearly articulated. But I don't care to do that, and am certain that I never will. I feel that Jimmy Page's "Heartbreaker" thing was neat at the time, but once was enough of that.
jstcrsn
I had to do a double take to make sure it said can't or don't,which would change my answer.
I don't no my scales as good as I should but some how don't use what I know and end up falling back to pentatonic/blues
swells - all my new guitars have right handed volume knobs which don't swell very nicely on a left handed guitar
and of course speedpicking - I just can't
tapping good with index and bad mother finger( that was for you Cris)but the other 2 - have not learned
Daniel Realpe
Finger picking is something I'm beginning to incorporate, I really like it!

Gabriel Leopardi
I always enjoy listening to the percussive acoustiv guitar players like Justin King and Andy Mknee but I've never study or practised those techniques.. I would like to be able to play those stuff in the future.
Sinisa Cekic
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 12 2011, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always enjoy listening to the percussive acoustiv guitar players like Justin King and Andy Mknee but I've never study or practised those techniques.. I would like to be able to play those stuff in the future.

+1 on that !
I trying to analyze, but it is still far from what I want.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Sep 12 2011, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+1 on that !
I trying to analyze, but it is still far from what I want.

Cool Sinisa!
Fran
Sweeping, because it's hard! I need to practice that smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.