Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introducing Myself :)
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
WilliamWhite
Hi all,

My name is Willie de Wit. But I listen to Will or William also.

I had a guitar when i was 16 or so for 2/3 weeks and thats all the experience i have.And that was about 25 years ago smile.gif
Last saturday I bought a simple electric guitar and want to start learning to play. And to prove my absolute lack of experience:

Today i broke my B-string. I went to the guitar shop and asked for the fifth string...... ok ok, tomorrow I will go back for the right one. I counted from the wrong side tongue.gif

I took an account on GMC cause I saw people really enjoying playing the guitar and helping others to become better in stead of only showing how great they are themselves. Maybe I am wrong about this, but I hope not.

As said I have my guitar now almost a week. Did I practice a lot......? Nope, not as much as I intended.....

My eldest daughter beats me to it every time....Is guitar playing contagious? It seems so. So to be able playing my guitar I reckon I have to buy another one for her biggrin.gif. She is 8yrs btw.

For now I think it stops with my eldest daughter, although the younger one (5yrs) also choose one in the shop. She liked a pink Ukele smile.gif
But more for the colour then for playing i guess.

Besides the playing i am a math teacher. I am married now for 10 yrs an dliving in a small village near a forest in the Netherlands. I drive a kawasaki vn800 and like to listen to.....no no not music, but books tongue.gif

I hope I didnt bore you to much with this and hope to see you all hang around here on this forum,

Regards.
Will

Gitarrero
Hi Willie,

welcome to GMC! I'm sure you'll enjoy this community very much...if you have the time ( I have heard kids can be very time-demanding... wink.gif ) be sure to check out some of the GMC video chats. And don't miss the beginner lessons by Bear Rose, I'm sure they are just what you need right now.
And if you have any questions, no matter how stupid they may seem to you, just ask here in the forum.

Christian
Cosmin Lupu
Welcome Will

My name is Cosmin and I am an instructor here smile.gif if you ever have questions or need to know something, go ahead and ask all of us, as a super characteristic of our little community is that everyone is willing and glad to help!

I am having a video chat each Thursday at 8 o clock London time and I'd be glad if you'd like to join!

What kind of music are you into and what would you like to learn at GMC?

cheerios

Cosmin
MonkeyDAthos
Welcome to GMC Will!!
Ivan Milenkovic
Welcome to GMC Willi, you seem like an interesting guy, very cool introduction! smile.gif

If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask, we're here to help! smile.gif
Sinisa Cekic
Welcome aboard Will ! You came to the right place, everything you want to know- we are here to help! wink.gif
jstcrsn
I am sorry ,but math teachers are strickly forbidden here at GMC

okay,maybe laugh.gif
and are you sure the pink guitar isn't for you
welcome aboard
WilliamWhite
Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome!! It's appreciated a lot.

@Cosmin If i can figure oout what that is in gmt+2 then I join ye for sure coming thursday smile.gif

Too bad that math teachers aint allowed smile.gif Can I join if i say i am a bad math teacher, or a mad one? tongue.gif

Thanks again and see you all around

regards,
Will
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (WilliamWhite @ Sep 3 2011, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

@Cosmin If i can figure oout what that is in gmt+2 then I join ye for sure coming thursday smile.gif

Too bad that math teachers aint allowed smile.gif Can I join if i say i am a bad math teacher, or a mad one? tongue.gif

regards,
Will

Hey Will, since you live in the Netherlands, you are one hour before the Romanian time, that means that on Thursday you should log in and access the chat room at 9 PM to watch the v-chat session smile.gif

All the best and if you have any questions, please go ahead and ask smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Will! Welcome to the site! You find a great community and lots of motivation here! Enjoy it and let us know if you need some help.
Ivan Milenkovic
QUOTE (WilliamWhite @ Sep 3 2011, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

regards,
Will

You can stay, but only if you promise to practice! smile.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif
Stephane Lucarelli
Welcome to GMC Will ! smile.gif
Ben Higgins
Hey Willie, welcome to the madness that is GMC ! cool.gif

I definitely recommend Cosmin's video chats sessions as well as all of the others.. you can find the video chat schedule at the bottom right corner of the main GMC page smile.gif

I think having a knowledge of numbers will come in handy.. in fact I think you'll be soon teaching us about sub diving beats etc !! biggrin.gif
WilliamWhite
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 4 2011, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can stay, but only if you promise to practice! smile.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif

I practice...... as we speak i allready am far better then Andrew Cockburn. If you look at his lesson nr 6 about Minor Pentatonic scale you can clearly see that he only manages to use one fret per pick of the snare, where I easily manages to hit 4 to 6 frets at one snare pick smile.gif

Man!, it is hard to just get that ONE fret in stead of cover the whole area around the tone tongue.gif

If I could advice one improvement for the lessons of Andrew.......Please at least try to act if its difficult for you wink.gif

Nah, The lessons are good, very good even, and although i problably break my fingers, somewhere in the next weeks to come I really enjoy following them.

Regards,

Will

PS I hope i have my english guitar words right...
Adrian Figallo
i saw this a bit late, but i'm glad to read that you are liking the site will, if you need anything im one click away smile.gif
also my chats are every wednesday at 4pm GMT-5, england is GMT smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey there Mr. White biggrin.gif i hope you had fun at last night's v-chat session! Thanks for joining us and see you next Thursday!
WilliamWhite
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 9 2011, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there Mr. White biggrin.gif i hope you had fun at last night's v-chat session! Thanks for joining us and see you next Thursday!

Thanks Cosmin,

I really enjoyed it although | didn't exactly understand all I reckon I understood the feel of it.

I am absolute beginner and training my basics now from the sessions Andrew, while i try to catch up on the guitar terms reading the GMC pdf about guitars.

The people here on GMC are great and I will join yer next session for sure.

@Adrian I try to make it to your coming session too

Again thanks for the welcome mates!!
JD_
welcome mate....this is a great place to be involved in. And yes, buy your daughter a guitar, then you can both play along. biggrin.gif
WilliamWhite
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 9 2011, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
welcome mate....this is a great place to be involved in. And yes, buy your daughter a guitar, then you can both play along. biggrin.gif

Thanks buddy,

Buying my daughter a guitar is as difficult as it is for all i guess tongue.gif

Do you buy a cheap one like 25euro's? Then maybe she quits because it doesnt feel right?
Do you buy a good one like 500euro's? And then discover she doesn't lile it anyway after 3 weeks?

I am still a little lost there, but came with a solution....I borrowed a good one from my school tongue.gif
So Yes, I have my own guitar back to practice and she also can play when she likes, and she likes it still.
Postponing the discission which guitar i should buy ...

I try to practice around 30-45 min a day....but in small sessions. My fingers cramp when i play to long still tongue.gif
Must be old age hehe.....

But I rather go slow and stay playing then break my fingers and hate the guitar in a week.

JD_
QUOTE (WilliamWhite @ Sep 11 2011, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks buddy,

Buying my daughter a guitar is as difficult as it is for all i guess tongue.gif

Do you buy a cheap one like 25euro's? Then maybe she quits because it doesnt feel right?
Do you buy a good one like 500euro's? And then discover she doesn't lile it anyway after 3 weeks?

I am still a little lost there, but came with a solution....I borrowed a good one from my school tongue.gif
So Yes, I have my own guitar back to practice and she also can play when she likes, and she likes it still.
Postponing the discission which guitar i should buy ...

I try to practice around 30-45 min a day....but in small sessions. My fingers cramp when i play to long still tongue.gif
Must be old age hehe.....

But I rather go slow and stay playing then break my fingers and hate the guitar in a week.

Hey mate, nice work on getting a guitar from school for your daughter. I guess it's a matter of opinion really, personally if she is 8 i wouldn't spend too much on a guitar until she is a bit older and really wantes to play fo0r herself, and u dont want a crappy instrument that feels unnatural and wont allow you to progress.... but it is a matter of opinion.

In terms of your fingers, i was in the same boat. I played a lil bit when i was 18 then gave it up after my finger tips got sliced up in an accident at work. now almost ten years later i have picked it up again and at first i felts alot of pain but only in finger tips. The pain you are feeling (I think) would be in the joints of your fingers...this is normal and it's due to your finger being required to perform movements that are new and unnatural. Your fingers will build up strength over time and get used to the demands placed on them by playing guitar. And some instructors here have given me some good advice in this area.....This isn't a gym so if u feel pain stop....I also would play for 2-3 hrs then the next morning they would be stiff and a lil bit sore....The answer was to have a day off playing guitar. Or try something different ie: playing lead/bending alot hurts, study rhythm...

Anyway here is a forum post i made when i picked up the guitar again.... http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=39616
WilliamWhite
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 11 2011, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey mate, nice work on getting a guitar from school for your daughter. I guess it's a matter of opinion really, personally if she is 8 i wouldn't spend too much on a guitar until she is a bit older and really wantes to play fo0r herself, and u dont want a crappy instrument that feels unnatural and wont allow you to progress.... but it is a matter of opinion.

In terms of your fingers, i was in the same boat. I played a lil bit when i was 18 then gave it up after my finger tips got sliced up in an accident at work. now almost ten years later i have picked it up again and at first i felts alot of pain but only in finger tips. The pain you are feeling (I think) would be in the joints of your fingers...this is normal and it's due to your finger being required to perform movements that are new and unnatural. Your fingers will build up strength over time and get used to the demands placed on them by playing guitar. And some instructors here have given me some good advice in this area.....This isn't a gym so if u feel pain stop....I also would play for 2-3 hrs then the next morning they would be stiff and a lil bit sore....The answer was to have a day off playing guitar. Or try something different ie: playing lead/bending alot hurts, study rhythm...

Anyway here is a forum post i made when i picked up the guitar again.... http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=39616

Thx again, the link rpved usefull smile.gif

Although I envy you for the 90 mins a day tongue.gif

JD_
QUOTE (WilliamWhite @ Sep 11 2011, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thx again, the link rpved usefull smile.gif

Although I envy you for the 90 mins a day tongue.gif

Thats good to hear....90 mi9ns is a slow day...I usaully just deprive myself of sleep (badly) and get about 2 hrs even more....but pay for it the next day....going to work like a zombie...

Cheers
Daniel Realpe
hey man! welcome to GMC! I hope you progress quick!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 11 2011, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats good to hear....90 mi9ns is a slow day...I usaully just deprive myself of sleep (badly) and get about 2 hrs even more....but pay for it the next day....going to work like a zombie...

Cheers

Mate, lack of sleep will cause other problems which would cause lack of focus and bad playing alongside bad everything else sad.gif better keep it short, constant and focused! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.