Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Nihilist1
Hi fellow members of GMC. I have been lurking around for awhile now, but I finally decided it was time to join and learn. I have been playing for six years now(three or four of them serious years), but I am self taught. As a result, I suffer from poor technique and a lack of theoretical knowledge. I joined in the hopes that I could fix this. I plan on doing the Steve Vai 30 hour workout this weekend(since it is labour day here in the States), that way I can find out exactly what needs to be fixed.

My main concern is that I can learn theory, but often times, I can't apply it to a song or the guitar; and as a result I forget most of what I learn. Can someone point me in the right direction so that I may remedy this problem. Thank you!

PS. Nice to meet you all.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the music I usually listen to is metal, rock, jazz, acid jazz, classical, and folk. I love Norse folk especially. Bands I generally listen to include Opeth, Burzum, Agalloch, Yes( Peter Banks and Steve Howe eras), Porcupine Tree, Death, Infestus, Nevermore, Devil Doll(Italian-Yugo band from the 80's and 90's),and Krohm. Black metal and progressive Rock/metal are easily my favourites.
Ben Higgins
Hey there, great to see you in the forums. Welcome, again cool.gif

When you do the Steve Vai workout, make sure you've had a good breakfast ! wink.gif

I find that learning theoretical stuff works best for me in bitesize chunks. Rather than sit down and think 'I'm going to learn loads of theory' I just try and learn what theory applies to whatever new lick I've learnt, or what licks I already know. That way I can directly relate the new knowledge with a physical aspect of something I can already do.

When that fails, I ask Ivan ! tongue.gif

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Ivan-Milenkovic/
MonkeyDAthos
Welcome to gmc!

well at less for me the best way learn theory, is not to learn much at one time.
for example. instead of study about the intervals and major scale/minor scales, modes in one day, try to learn only like a part of the intervals in one day, the other part in another, do a review then jump to major scale.
Ivan Milenkovic
Welcome aboard man, glad you joined finally! It's practicing time now! smile.gif If you have any theory questions or anything let us know! smile.gif

Also, be sure to stop by to the video chats - we can explain something right away, live! smile.gif
Sinisa Cekic
Welcome to the best guitar site in the world! smile.gif
Nihilist1
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will definitely be asking a lot of theory questions, so please excuse them if they sound like questions only a child would ask. When it comes to theory, I really want to know what works this way and why. Not just on the surface either. I guess I stand at things from a philosophical viewpoint. The best analogy I can think of at the moment is mathematical. I know 2+2=4, but why does it equal four, rather than five?

I look at the whole world this way, and I think that is why Theory has been so hard for me.Or any concrete concept for that matter. My mind automatically makes it abstract.
JD_
Welcome mate, there is a TON of lessons and ifo on this site. It has been the best thing i Have ever done to join up. Take some time to get fimilair with the site as there is sooo much info and lessons here.

Good Luck and hope to see you post some takes in the REC program...Cheers
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi man! Welcome to the site! It's difficult to keep theoretical information in your mind if you don't really use it. I also have this problem... that's why learning the theory applied in real music situations is the best way to study it. GMC lessons are great in this aspect because you have a musical idea and then its theory and technique explained.
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Sep 3 2011, 06:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... from a philosophical viewpoint. The best analogy I can think of at the moment is mathematical. I know 2+2=4, but why does it equal four, rather than five?

Because numbering terminology is a human, social construct based on collective agreement on the use of language. The terms four, five, etc only indicate a value but are not that thing itself. If there was common consent one could easily be swopped for the other. With common agreement theres no reason why we couldn't term the values cat, dog, pig, blue, red, water, whatever. It's all about the sign, signifier and signified and thus semiotics and if you're interested in the philosophy of this a good place to start is Roland Barthes, then moving on through Jacques Derrida.
Stephane Lucarelli
Welcome onboard man!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Sep 3 2011, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will definitely be asking a lot of theory questions, so please excuse them if they sound like questions only a child would ask. When it comes to theory, I really want to know what works this way and why. Not just on the surface either. I guess I stand at things from a philosophical viewpoint. The best analogy I can think of at the moment is mathematical. I know 2+2=4, but why does it equal four, rather than five?

I look at the whole world this way, and I think that is why Theory has been so hard for me.Or any concrete concept for that matter. My mind automatically makes it abstract.

Hey mate! Welcome! I would love to answer your questions in the forum and in the v-chat sessions as well (mine are happening each Thursday at 8 o clock London time)

You analogy is fair enough smile.gif I call music, 'soulful mathematics' tongue.gif we could row the same boat could we?

Let us know on how we could help you!

Cosmin

PS: I also like Opeth
Daniel Realpe
I love opeth as well!

Welcome to GMC! and to the great community!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.