Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solos Over Fast Rhythm
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Narzsa
Hi guys,

I hope your all well. i was just wondering, what the best approach to take when trying to compose a solo over a fast rhythme backing tracking? This can be tempo wise and note changing wise.

I think i ve answered my own question, but would it be to slow it down, write the solo then speed it back up to match the original source?

Kind Regards
thefireball
QUOTE (Narzsa @ Sep 5 2011, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys,

I hope your all well. i was just wondering, what the best approach to take when trying to compose a solo over a fast rhythme backing tracking? This can be tempo wise and note changing wise.

I think i ve answered my own question, but would it be to slow it down, write the solo then speed it back up to match the original source?

Kind Regards

I would say that's a good way to do it. Or if you want, you could write a gist of the melody and then add embellishments.
Daniel Realpe
I think those are good approaches,

Also you might consider listening to a few similar solos to get some ideas.
Ben Higgins
Hey, this is a good question. Shame there isn't more answers, although hopefully more people will see it now I've added an answer smile.gif

Points that I consider when composing a solo:

- Tempo of backing. Create contrast with the backing by playing longer notes over a fast backing, combined with quicker passages. Very few of the 'greats' just blaze away at one speed. Most of them know how to pace a good solo by including some long sustained bends (like Kirk Hammett does in Battery or Blackened) before fast bits. Just remember that because the song is fast, it doesn't mean the melody has to be fast. Sometimes the contrast created between a slower solo and faster backing can have more effect.

- Am I deliberately trying 'too hard' ? Am I trying to write things that are currently beyond my ability ? We don't always have to see a solo as an opportunity to showcase what we can do. Most times, the best approach is to work with what we currently have within our ability. If you write with what you already can do, then there won't be much need to slow things down and practice it until you can play it.

I hope this helps. smile.gif

Ivan Milenkovic
Start simple, and work your way through the backing as you go along, this would be my approach both for composing the solo, and improvising over it.

If the tempo is fast paced, bigger note durations will work, depending on your speed limit. So instead of using 16th note triplets, you can use 8th note triplets, or quintuplet fractions if you have the feel for them.

When I play faster, I usually end up using combinations of several AP runs that I can play fast, combined with faster legato playing + melodic passages. That reminds me.. should practice a bit X)
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 5 2011, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, this is a good question. Shame there isn't more answers, although hopefully more people will see it now I've added an answer smile.gif

- Tempo of backing. Create contrast with the backing by playing longer notes over a fast backing, combined with quicker passages. Very few of the 'greats' just blaze away at one speed. Most of them know how to pace a good solo by including some long sustained bends (like Kirk Hammett does in Battery or Blackened) before fast bits. Just remember that because the song is fast, it doesn't mean the melody has to be fast. Sometimes the contrast created between a slower solo and faster backing can have more effect.

- Am I deliberately trying 'too hard' ? Am I trying to write things that are currently beyond my ability ? We don't always have to see a solo as an opportunity to showcase what we can do. Most times, the best approach is to work with what we currently have within our ability. If you write with what you already can do, then there won't be much need to slow things down and practice it until you can play it.

Pffff...lucky me I read Ben's reply tongue.gif I was ready to say the same thing about combining the long notes on the context smile.gif
Narzsa
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 5 2011, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those are some awesome points. Im definitely going to experiment with contrast some slow passages in there as i love solos that can mix shred and beautiful melodies biggrin.gif bands like megadeth and arch enemy are especially good at setting their own pace with the lead over tricky rhythms and i d love to be able to bring some of that into this

Breaking it down and slowing it has helped so much. It feels so much more natural and right now

In terms of trying too hard...totally lol. i have a habit of biting off more than i can chew, and i ve thrown out alot of new tricks i ve learnt with this so far, most i can yet do at the full speed of the track but im hopefully i can get them there as their not too far off. And hopefully when i break into melody from it ll sound that much even more ear grabbing smile.gif

We'll see if it works, but im quite excited as this could be the start of me getting over my biggest hurdle to date biggrin.gif

Cheers for all your advice
jstcrsn
I don't know the backing ,but I was wondering if you could keep the drums moving the song and change the guitar , play the chords rather then riffing underneith the solo,this would open up your guitar solo with many more possibilities
Narzsa
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 5 2011, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know the backing ,but I was wondering if you could keep the drums moving the song and change the guitar , play the chords rather then riffing underneith the solo,this would open up your guitar solo with many more possibilities

In this instance i cant, as it a song my band have written and they really wouldnt like me to change things haha
But your quite right, i find playing over chords SO much easier. But still this should be a good exercise smile.gif i cant wait to get back on my guitar and continue writing this
Todd Simpson
Some great replies wink.gif Here are some tips to add.

1.)A good solo is like a good story, it should have a clear Beginning/Middle/End

2.)Establish a "Melody Through Line" if possible. (A few tones/chops that repeat against the backing)

3.)Don't be afraid to repeat a lick especially if it's part of your "Melody Through Line"

4.)Pinch Harmonics are sort of like the period at the end of a sentence (sort of) you can use them anywhere but they add emphasis so adding them at the end of a phrase or scale run is often effective.

5.)Final/Biggest Tip: Soloing is all about "Tension and Release" you can build tension in several ways, running up scales, bends, and you can release it in several ways, resolving/hitting the root note, sliding down to an open string, etc.

Just some general tips, of course you could take the exact reverse of tip and still make a great solo smile.gif

Todd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.