Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Common Beginner Guitar Mistakes
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Sinisa Cekic
I found interesting and instructive article, and I would like to share with you:

The significance of learning how to play guitar the proper way is unfathomable. You probably have wished to play guitar but never got the chance to get started. There are many instances that once you embarked yourself on trying this new adventure, next thing that comes along is the feeling of ambiguity. With the large number of people who can play guitar, it is still a fact that only few of them can play well.
If you are still mulling over on staying to your perspective of pulling out your talent on guitar playing, you definitely need to know the three common guitar mistakes so you can avoid them.

Beginners commit some frequent mistakes which could lead into undesirable habits. In many instances, beginners are just preoccupied and have chosen to stay away from understanding the fundamentals of guitar playing. Given that, there are 3 awful guitar mistakes you need to avert if you really want to transcend yourself and bring your guitar playing exercise to the next level.

The first thing you need to avoid is the use of inadequate guitar. Learning how to play guitar professionally is a great reward. As a beginner, it is always imperative that you are well-versed on the instrument you are playing. You must choose quality guitar that does not need to be tuned every time you play it. This will give you an edge to exactly handle the instrument and play well. Using inadequate guitar seems to hold you back so getting the right instrument with the right strings and size can help you perform effectively. With just few alterations you can learn from a reliable guitar lesson tutorial, you will be empowered and become enthusiastic.

Secondly, there is actually a correct learning order, a 1st thing, 2nd thing, and even a 3rd thing to learn. The process of learning how to play guitar should be in the right track. Just like skipping rungs on a ladder, jumbling up the learning order causes a lot of unnecessary pain and suffering. It can even lead to bad habits that are nearly unfeasible to break.

The third and biggest guitar mistake a beginner must avoid while playing guitar is a variety of bad habits. Some of the awful guitar mistakes here include poor posture while practicing, tensing the muscles and incorrect hand placement. Beginners are usually stubborn, tolerating the practice of having awkward finger placement. Rhythm and timing are the two things that should always be corrected. You should learn the proper way on how to hold the instrument and pick, play a scale, change chords as well as common chord progressions that can be used to play songs.

Sooner or later, you will become more passionate to practice or even record your own guitar playing. There are guitar lessons online that are already created for beginners. It is highly suggested that new guitarists will start lesson one, spending a minimum of one week learning the exercises and songs in that lesson before moving forward. And, of course, avoid the 3 guitar mistakes mentioned above. In this way, you can absolutely enhance your skill and potential to become a professional guitarist or even a rock star!

by Tomas Michaud

Gabriel Leopardi
These are really cool tips. The only thing that I would say is that if you can't buy a good guitar, you can start with the one that you have or can buy. This are ideal situations but don't take this as the only way to became a good player.
Ben Higgins
I know what this guy is trying to say but I think he's being very vague in the second point. When he says 1st, 2nd, 3rd thing to learn he doesn't give any examples so it's not helpful at all !

When it comes to it, a beginner will just learn what he encounters first.. if it's an Emaj chord then that's what it is.

I do agree that correct hand position ad function should be encouraged as early as possible but tension and uncomfortable fingers are unavoidable when learning the guitar because your hands anf fingers are not used to doing it anyway.

Ivan Milenkovic
These are all great tips. I must say tho that having a great instrument is important but not crucial, not many people have good instrument when they start. I have a friend that had guitar that was going out of tune, so he learned to tune it by ear much quicker then anybody else, using harmonics. So, it's all manageable if the student is persistent.
moleman
That was an interesting read, thanks Sinisa.

I completely agree with Ben, I would like to know what the author thinks the correct learning progression is. Chords before arpeggio sweeps is obvious for example, but I don't know if the order really makes such a big difference.

I like the part about bad habits though. I actually started with a terrible teacher, and am only now correcting all the weird things he taught me. I wish someone could have shown me how to sit and use palm muting / play pedal notes etc properly.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 7 2011, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These are all great tips. I must say tho that having a great instrument is important but not crucial, not many people have good instrument when they start. I have a friend that had guitar that was going out of tune, so he learned to tune it by ear much quicker then anybody else, using harmonics. So, it's all manageable if the student is persistent.

It's true! if your instrument is always getting out of tune you train a lot your ear tuning it all the time! biggrin.gif but I hate when this happens!
Sinisa Cekic
Well, I think the writer wanted to just literally set the order of things, not strictly saying what it is you need to learn first, second and so on. I mean,every beginner has a choice how will begin to learn - whether to go to private classes, over the Internet, books, and so on.
If there is no one to advise him which process is the best - it's not the end of the world. It's a school through which we all pass!
I was self-taught musician ! Would be better today if I had a private tutor? Maybe, and maybe not. But I have never regretted about it ! Why? I learned from my mistakes, correcting them, redesign, creating a new odd phrases or chords, and in some way i have build my own style...at least I think so! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.