Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Being Methodical Vs Doing It By Feeling
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Mudbone
In my experience of guitar playing, I have always heard advice of "just do what feels right," or "its all about the feeling." But what am I supposed to feel? How am I supposed to know what is right? No one who is a beginner will know what feels right, whether they are a guitarist, a figure skater or an athlete. Knowing what "feels" right or wrong is something that develops over time, and through the experience of doing things the methodical way that has been taught by a more experienced practitioner of any such skill.

One way I can relate this concept to you is through my experience of riding a motorcycle. In terms terrestrial transportation, riding a motorcycle is one of the more difficult vehicles to master, and more dangerous as well. Controlling the bike, as well as negotiating traffic can be quite challenging. However, if you approach riding methodically, you will be able to deal with all its challenges. Almost every aspect of riding can be broken down into a procedure, such as approaching a turn, coming out of the turn, braking, etc...

Ultimately though, these methods will only get your skills to a certain point. Riding a motorcycle is more about feeling then anything else. You have to feel the pavement, feel the G forces, and feel the resistance and pull of the engine. However, being methodical will only get you so far, it will not make you graceful. But being methodical is a crucial step. You have to know what the proper way of going into a turn feels like before you can go past your boundaries. You have to ride thousands of miles to know what the bike feels like and what the road feels like, then you can progress to the next level.

I think this is no different than playing guitar. You have to know what the strings feel like, how they vibrate and how they sound. Just like riding, you must not think about your next action, but naturally just take it. I'm still in the methodical stage of guitar playing, but I know what is awaiting me. It may take a while, but I will get there.

As is life, one things build upon what proceeded it, and no one ever became a virtuoso without blood, sweat, and tears. So keep on trucking biggrin.gif

Daniel Realpe
I agree with this: "Ultimately though, these methods will only get your skills to a certain point. Riding a motorcycle is more about feeling then anything else. You have to feel the pavement, feel the G forces, and feel the resistance and pull of the engine. However, being methodical will only get you so far, it will not make you graceful. But being methodical is a crucial step"

Music learning by a method or lessons or feedback is very important and maybe crucial, but it can only get you so far. Your own experience and own experimentation is what will make you a "musician"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.