Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help....well..ahum A Little Help Also Would Do Wonders :)
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
WilliamWhite
Hi to all you masters !

I practice daily and don't really care too much now what to train since I first think i need some basics anyway..and some fingers doing what i want them to do laugh.gif

But giving the fact that I would want to start to play in the direction of say Simon and Garfunkel, so less super speed and more soloing nice quite songs.
What is the best to practice for the right hand?
Left is busy with basic A Pentamonic scale from Andrews lessons and some basic scale practice on the 1st and 2nd string.

But can i best use a plectrum, like I do know, or should i use thumb and fingers, or both or or.... I have not really a clue, whats best for my direction to start with. At the end I guess you guys know all ways to play and maybe me too one day, but this is about how to start.

And when at playing the Pentamonic scale a second question, problebly asked 3000 times earlier, but i couldnt catch the answer.

When you go from low e to high e its natural in the scale to first use the plectrum from up to low and second stroke the other way round. But when playing the same scale up, would you then change to first plectrum up and then down or still first down then up?

Thanks guys for reading this perfect piece of high english liturature :0, Or in other words...excuse my language
dark dude
Hi to all you masters !

I practice daily and don't really care too much now what to train since I first think i need some basics anyway..and some fingers doing what i want them to do laugh.gif

But giving the fact that I would want to start to play in the direction of say Simon and Garfunkel, so less super speed and more soloing nice quite songs.

Not that familiar with S+G (I know.. tongue.gif), but watched a few videos, and the guitarist seems to fingerpick chords most of the time, and rarely there's some basic lead playing.
What is the best to practice for the right hand?
Left is busy with basic A Pentamonic scale from Andrews lessons and some basic scale practice on the 1st and 2nd string.

I'd definately do a lesson search on "fingerpicking" and pick something that you like and is basic.

Also, I'd choose some easy lessons that contain a few chords spanning the 6 strings (i.e. not powerchord). S+G use 'proper' chords like this a lot, so you'll want to practice them. For any chord, make sure you know the best fingering for that chord, then hold all the notes down and listen for any 'dead' notes (notes that aren't being played properly). Figure out where your weak spots are in playing that chord, and adjust your playing. After you play the chord correctly, let go of the guitar's neck, open up your hand (trying to make your hand as big as possible) for a second, then try to play the chord as quickly as possible again. This is to train the speed at which you can play chords.

Lastly, take two chords at a time, and practice changing between them. Again, this is very common in S+G's music, and needs to be done well!
But can i best use a plectrum, like I do know, or should i use thumb and fingers, or both or or.... I have not really a clue, whats best for my direction to start with. At the end I guess you guys know all ways to play and maybe me too one day, but this is about how to start.

See above!
And when at playing the Pentamonic scale a second question, problebly asked 3000 times earlier, but i couldnt catch the answer.

When you go from low e to high e its natural in the scale to first use the plectrum from up to low and second stroke the other way round. But when playing the same scale up, would you then change to first plectrum up and then down or still first down then up?

You can play both ways. Most people tend to start playing anything on a downstroke, but starting on an upstroke should also be practiced - so do both! Whether you start on an upstroke or downstroke becomes more important when playing something with an odd number of notes per string, so get some practice playing the major scale after you're done with the pentatonic. Even if it's just 2 or 3 strings!
Thanks guys for reading this perfect piece of high english liturature :0, Or in other words...excuse my language

People are too harsh on themselves wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Check this out Mr. White smile.gif

Here's a list of lessons on fingerpicking - level 1-3, so they may be tackled with enough ease wink.gif take a look over them, pick the ones you like and find easy to learn first of all, practice hard, ask us if you need any extra info and then, you may be bold and try your skills over at the REC section wink.gif

Looking forward to your comments!

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/fi.../1/3/n/n/n/t/t/
WilliamWhite
Hi mates,

Very many thanks for the answers!!

Will use them right away! as for using the REC section......... mmmmmm I like my GMS subscriptions to much to send anything in yet tongue.gif

Dark thanks for looking into S&G and the tips!

Cosmin, Also thanks. As for telling me to ask questions.......I will try to keep ye all busy smile.gif

regards,

will
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (WilliamWhite @ Sep 12 2011, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mates,

Very many thanks for the answers!!

Will use them right away! as for using the REC section......... mmmmmm I like my GMS subscriptions to much to send anything in yet tongue.gif

Dark thanks for looking into S&G and the tips!

Cosmin, Also thanks. As for telling me to ask questions.......I will try to keep ye all busy smile.gif

regards,

will

Looking forward to it mate!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.