Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey, I'm New!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
TesttubeMammoth
Hi guys!

I signed up to this site a couple of days ago and thought it was about time I introduced myself.

Most folks call me Frankie. I am from Norwich in the UK and I am into blues and djent, although I have been checking out the neo classical stuff on here and it is very impressive! Marcus really knows how to shred it up! I posted a take yesterday of his Neo Classical Beginner riff and that seemed to go down ok. Got some great feedback (not the amp kind) and have already identified an area which needs improvement (vibrato).

So, my main intention is to become a better improviser, mainly with the blues stuff but then there is so much to learn in all genres.
Getting to grips with some of that crazy sweep tapping is probably on the cards at some point biggrin.gif

I have been playing for about 10 years (mostly bass! Guitar is still a bit new...) and I mainly use a white 70's reissue strat for most of my lead work, although sometimes you might see me playing an 8 string ltd fm-418 with bareknuckle aftermaths depending on what I am learning. I use a Pod XT Pro Di'd for my effects but am going to buy a cube amp and an SM57 hopefully in the next few weeks to try and get a more organic sound.

I have to say the vibe here is awesome, I checked out some competetor websites before I signed up but this one seemed like the most fun and I think that's really important.

I plan to try and post at least one take per week but hopefully I will be able to do more than that. One of my goals is to get that Parisian Walkways solo down.

I have a feeling this is going to be fun, look forward to chatting with you guys.

Frankie.

Gitarrero
Welcome to GMC Frankie! Yeah, chatting with us crazy bunch of GMCers will be a lot of fun, so be sure to attend as many video chats as you can! You might even learn a thing or two about playing guitar! laugh.gif

Christian
Sinisa Cekic
Welcome to GMC Frankie! If you have any questions about - we are here to help you wink.gif, enjoy !
MonkeyDAthos
Welcome man ; )
thefireball
Welcome Frankie! Have a good time! There's plenty of the blues here!!
Adrian Figallo
hey frankie welcome to the site dude, i love blues myself and i hope i can teach you a lick or two, my video chats are every wednesday at 10pm GMT, feel free to drop by and say hello!
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Frankie! Glad you decided to reveal yourself to the community! If you guys were wondering he has a big dose of 'djent' flowing through his blood as well biggrin.gif and it's really good!
TesttubeMammoth
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

See you on the boards!
Bogdan Radovic
Welcome to GMC Frankie! smile.gif

Awesome to hear about your bass playing experience.

Cheers,
Bogdan
Ivan Milenkovic
Welcome aboard man! smile.gif

Awesome axes you have, they really complement your styles very nicely! smile.gif We have plenty of material for both here, and if you need any advice or anything, let us know! smile.gif
Daniel Realpe
Welcome to GMC! Blues is something you can't stop learning, I love it
Ben Higgins
Hey Frankie, nice to see another fellow Brit join the site cool.gif

Considering you're fairly new to the guitar from the bass, you've been doing a dang good job as your REC take shows !

You mentioned the Gary Moore track.. you've got to check out some of these lessons by Piotr

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Gary-Moore-Style-Ballad/

In fact, just check out his whole list of lessons for some awesome rock ballad mastery smile.gif

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Piotr-Kaczor/

As the guys said, if you need anything, just ask.. and don't forget we do live video chats most evenings. You can find the schedule at the bottom right corner of the main page. All you've got to do when you want to catch a chat is click on the big CHAT button at the top of the page and that's it.. wink.gif
JD_
Welcome mate....you'll have a ball here!
TesttubeMammoth
Thanks!

Ben, good to see a fellow brit too - I live in darkest Norfolk, not exactly the shredding capital of the world biggrin.gif
So, I practiced hard, checked out your virbrato lesson and got a bit better at it.
How long should I wait before posting another take for the same lesson?

This place is awesome btw - I haven't felt so enthusiastic about learning more about music for ages!
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi man!! Blues & Djent is an amazing combination! There are lots of things to learn regarding both styles.. and you also need two completely different guitar tones! You can get really close sounds with your pod so it's a good choice.

How is your vibrato technique? Are you working on it? Remember that there is a really good lesson based on it by Ben. wink.gif

Welcome to the site!
TesttubeMammoth
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 14 2011, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is your vibrato technique? Are you working on it? Remember that there is a really good lesson based on it by Ben. wink.gif

I checked out Ben's lesson and it was really helpful so I recorded another take this evening.
I will post it up in the rec as soon as my current one expires.

Hope I used enough vibrato this time biggrin.gif

Thanks for the chat this evening, I think I will be coming along to as many of these as possible!

I just noticed that he changes pickups about 4 times during that solo.
Maybe you'll have to wait for take 3 biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (TesttubeMammoth @ Sep 14 2011, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I checked out Ben's lesson and it was really helpful so I recorded another take this evening.
I will post it up in the rec as soon as my current one expires.

Hope I used enough vibrato this time biggrin.gif

Thanks for the chat this evening, I think I will be coming along to as many of these as possible!

I just noticed that he changes pickups about 4 times during that solo.
Maybe you'll have to wait for take 3 biggrin.gif

That's great! Thanks for joining my video chat man! See you in the next one! wink.gif
Michael AC
Welcome Frankie! Lot's of blues stuff here! I like how Ivan plays the blues as well as others on here (all the instructors are awesome and personable!)

This is the place to be if you want to learn and be encouraged!

I tried many other sites too, and this one is the bomb!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.