Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Make Rec Video: First Steps
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Michael AC
I have Abelton Live for my DAW, Sony Vegas HD Platinum 11, M-Audio FireWire Solo and Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910.

I have watched several videos on here and things about getting started. My biggest question is playing along with backing track in my DAW and recording video at the same time.

The other is getting good framerates.

Thanks!
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Sep 13 2011, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have Abelton Live for my DAW, Sony Vegas HD Platinum 11, M-Audio FireWire Solo and Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910.

I have watched several videos on here and things about getting started. My biggest question is playing along with backing track in my DAW and recording video at the same time.

The other is getting good framerates.

Thanks!

Great thread! smile.gif

To make this happen I would suggest to focus on two things separately first.

1. Audio recording
2. Video recording

1. Audio recording

Which kind of DAW do you use? Do you know how to record your audio only take of playing against a backing track?
To do that, you need to setup your DAW to work with your sound card (in this case M-Audio one) and start a new project.
Find the "import" option in your DAW to insert the backing track of a lesson (which you download from GMC). You should have the backing playable in your DAW timeline. Second step is to make a new audio track for recording guitar. Hit the record button and try to record your playing over the backing track (you may need to adjust the levels to get proper sound).

If you can successfully record audio only take of your playing over the backing track - you are 50% ready.

2. Video recording

Since you have a Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910, I would recommend using the logitec software which came with it. It should have a video capture option. To get a good frame rate there, you need to enter "Webcam controls" and set everything to manual (fiddle with the settings to get a good picture). Having cam on auto settings will reduce the frame rate dramatically. Also, shooting in a well light room will help.

Try recording a video of your playing with the included capture software. If you get a good picture (don't pay attention to sound at this point) - you are set to go.

MIXING IT ALL :

To shoot a guitar video of live playing you need to do the following.

- Start your DAW and prepare everything like you would if you would be recording audio only
- Start your webcam capture software and prepare everything like you would if you would be video only recording
- Hit the record button in the video capture software
- Hit the record button in the DAW and minimize the window
- Start playing against the backing track
- Once you finish the performance, stop recording in DAW and then in the video capture software

At this point you have 2 separate files (projects). One audio and one video.

- Save the audio DAW project and render the file to WAVE or MP3
- Save the video file you captured in the webcam capture software

EDITING :

At this point you have a webcam video file with great video but poor or no audio and great audio you captured in DAW.
Here comes the video editing magic :

- Start Sony Vegas
- Import audio file of your playing
- Import video file of your playing
- Insert the video file into the timeline for editing
- Insert the audio file into time line bellow the video one
- Move around the audio from DAW to be in sync with your playing (and audio from webcam)
- Once they are in sync, mute the audio track of the webcam audio (which is bad quality, you don't need it)

While both are aligned, trim video/audio tracks to have proper "beginning and end".

Save project > render final video

That is it! smile.gif

Hope this "tutorial" helps. It's really not that hard as it seems once you try it and get used to it.

Cheers,
Bogdan
Michael AC
Great! I did notice that turning off the Right Light and Right Sound I could get frame rate at 29. pretty consistently. I will get some more lights for my room and give it a try.

I use Abelton for my DAW and I know how to set it up ok. This does definitely make it seem more simple that what I was fusing with.

One last question: In the capture settings, is using 640x480 the best to use? It has a setting like that as default and then also ones that say 720p Optimized and 720p Large.
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Sep 14 2011, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great! I did notice that turning off the Right Light and Right Sound I could get frame rate at 29. pretty consistently. I will get some more lights for my room and give it a try.

I use Abelton for my DAW and I know how to set it up ok. This does definitely make it seem more simple that what I was fusing with.

One last question: In the capture settings, is using 640x480 the best to use? It has a setting like that as default and then also ones that say 720p Optimized and 720p Large.

640x480 would be good for YT videos and REC. It will also allow for better frame rate. But, you can try 720p Optimized and see the results. Its a HD video resolution so picture will be sharper, but it will be also more demanding on your computer resources and have lower frame rate. Feel free to try both and see the results you get.
Michael AC
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 13 2011, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
640x480 would be good for YT videos and REC. It will also allow for better frame rate. But, you can try 720p Optimized and see the results. Its a HD video resolution so picture will be sharper, but it will be also more demanding on your computer resources and have lower frame rate. Feel free to try both and see the results you get.

Ok I think got it to sync ok...let me know if you think the video quality and sync look/sound good. (Not my playing which was horrible)

One issue I had was I had to use the Video Capture in Vegas versus the Web Cam software. The Web Cam software when turned on screws the sound up in the DAW. I think it is an IRQ issue.
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Sep 13 2011, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok I think got it to sync ok...let me know if you think the video quality and sync look/sound good. (Not my playing which was horrible)

One issue I had was I had to use the Video Capture in Vegas versus the Web Cam software. The Web Cam software when turned on screws the sound up in the DAW. I think it is an IRQ issue.

That works! wink.gif
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Sep 14 2011, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey man this is awesome! smile.gif
I think you did a good job with video and audio. Maybe the audio is not in perfect sync but it's very close.
Neat trick is to see which resolution your webcam records audio in (44100 or 48000) and then export the audio in that paticular resolution so you can match and sync it better with video's audio (which you mute later on).

Shall we see some REC takes now? wink.gif
Michael AC
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 14 2011, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey man this is awesome! smile.gif
I think you did a good job with video and audio. Maybe the audio is not in perfect sync but it's very close.
Neat trick is to see which resolution your webcam records audio in (44100 or 48000) and then export the audio in that paticular resolution so you can match and sync it better with video's audio (which you mute later on).

Shall we see some REC takes now? wink.gif

Yes I did see that the default is 48000 in the web cam, but I did change it do match the daw at 44100.

You would think that there is something in Vegas other than eyeballing it to line it up...maybe not.

Yes you will start seeing me in REC. The whole reason I got the stuff! Thanks for your help!
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Sep 14 2011, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I did see that the default is 48000 in the web cam, but I did change it do match the daw at 44100.

You would think that there is something in Vegas other than eyeballing it to line it up...maybe not.

Yes you will start seeing me in REC. The whole reason I got the stuff! Thanks for your help!

You can try recording in 44800 in your DAW next time - just for the fun of experimenting smile.gif
At export, you can always change the resolution anyway.

To get a sync in Vegas, neat approach is to line up two audio tracks (one from webcam and one from DAW). Just use big zoom and "eyes" to look at the "audio waveform" and you'll get it. But as I said, this sync you did was pretty spot on in the test video.
Ivan Milenkovic
I also had a problem using Logitech webcam application for recording. It could be the sample rate issue. It's either that, or CPU usage is big when using HD format on the webcam app.
Adrian Figallo
to me it looks perfect for rec, see you there!
Michael AC
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 14 2011, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also had a problem using Logitech webcam application for recording. It could be the sample rate issue. It's either that, or CPU usage is big when using HD format on the webcam app.

Ivan the only thing I changed was which software I used for the capture. Maybe the logitech software pulls more resources. The Vegas capture let me config the settings of the webcam too so that was cool.

See you all in the REC!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.