Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Neck Vs Bridge
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Narzsa
Hi Guys,

Just had a quick query. I ve noticed a lot of guitarist i like often use the neck pickup for runs and even general lead when soloing

My question is how often do you guys use yours as aposed to the bridge pickups, your feelings on when use the neck vs bridge and your favourite examples?

Aaaaaaaaand Go! smile.gif
JadGh
I tend to use the bridge pickup whenever i'm soloing below 12th fret its much better for pinch harmonics and gives me the rough attitude i want.

whenever above the 12th fret, especially for melodic parts, neck pickup is always the option to me coz it's much warmer with a beautiful tone. i use the JS1000 btw.

Cheers

Jad
Gabriel Leopardi
I prefer my neck pick up for the more aggressive & rocker solos. I like how Malmsteen use to change during the same solo from one pick up to the other one to get different sounds.
Fran
Depends, neck is smoother, fits best for some leads. Though I use bridge most of the time.
Daniel Realpe
Alexi Laiho from COB doesn't even have a neck pickup and he sweeps, taps, does everything. He gets a much more rocking aggressive tone

All bridge:

On the other hand you can get a lot more rounder smoother, less aggressive sound with the neck pickup

All neck:

Ivan Milenkovic
Man, Silent Night Bodom Night has such an awesome solo smile.gif
Gitarrero
I rarely ever use the bridge pickup...then again, I mostly play metal or punk rock stuff, so the neck pick up seems to be the natural choice for me.
djohnneay
Petrucci and Alexi... both such amazing players, yet such diffrent styles!
Sinisa Cekic
I like the warmer sound, bridge pickup is in use for riffing parts, but for the solo sections I like a combination of both hambuckers.
Narzsa
Quite some interesting examples i must say especially bodom and dream theater biggrin.gif

I ve noticed zakk wylde sounds like he favours the neck most of time

ps...there needs to be some more bodom lessons wink.gif
Adrian Figallo
i use the bridge like 80% of the time, but lately i´m digging more and more then sound of the neck, specially on my strat, LOVELY.
Cosmin Lupu
I usually like to adapt to the context of the song smile.gif I use the bridge pickup for heavy riffing, the neck one for leads and smooth picked passages and different combinations for special occasions smile.gif such as finger picked phrases where each note matters. It's a matter of exploring in my opinion and of course sacrificing playability sometimes for the sake of tone..I guess.
Adrian Figallo
and hey, it also the depends on the band/mix a lot, you need to fill the space they leave so open your ears and it will come to you smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.