Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Do Majority Of People Like To Listen?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Ivan Milenkovic
Hey guys, I always wondered why most people tend to listen easy going and easy made music.

Not a lot of people enjoy for example heavy metal styles with lots of things goin on, or blues, or alternative/stoner bands, most just like to listen something so simplified, it's sometimes a bit too cheesy.

Why do you think this happens? Why does more people tend to listen very simplified music?
Gitarrero
Cause they don't really listen to the music, it is just noodling in the background. To fully enjoy SRV or Death Metal you have to listen carefully, without doing other stuff. I often told my girlfriend "This song is about this topic..." even if it was a Beyonce song laugh.gif and she was like "I never really listen to the lyrics or what's going on in a song"...
Ivan Milenkovic
Yeah, that is the point most of the time. People sometimes don't even listen to the lyrics, and this is specially true if the lyrics are on foreign language. In that case, a strong melodic catch is needed. I think Lady Gaga's songs can be in spanish or french, and still be very catchy, the melody is brain-washing smile.gif

Well, people do tend to listen to various stuff, and I cannot judge that, people like different stuff. Not a lot of people will listen to SRV, Robert Johnson, Steve Vai, whatever.. But why is this like that? Don't people like music? I mean, if you like music you like and respect all kinds of music?
Ulrik
I often wonder how the hell some songs get played in the radio.

I do not understand the vast majority of Danes on this subject.
When I go to the gym, they play a lot of radio music, which really anoys me
Not long ago they played this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYxJdO8vuAk...feature=related

Why?
Daniel Realpe
That's a very good question.

I think it's because the human mind tends to be lazy. We all prefer to go for the easiest shortest way around things in order to preserve as much energy as possible. It's not a bad thing.

But I think it's related to your question. Easy music requires less energy to be engaged with and therefore the majority of listeners prefer it.
Adrian Figallo
i think it´s because the huge amount of marketing those simpler bands has, and also because the human brain loves repetition so much biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
As it has been said above - complex music requires attention smile.gif it requires time. I had a friend who always told me how much he appreciated my playing efforts and the music that I wrote but from time to time he took care to tell me that the reality is that almost no one would listen to my music because it is demanding and not 'commercial enough' biggrin.gif too bad for him he was not the only one to judge that and good for me that I never payed him any heed.

The main idea is: you cannot satisfy everybody - be honest, play from the heart, do it in the best possible way you can and it'll all be well smile.gif this is my creed!
thefireball
I suppose because some people have simple minds.
SpaseMoonkey
I think because most people don't have an understand of music itself. I've noticed most of society listens to what they are told is hip, hot, and new. Which leads to how some have mentioned brainwashed and I agree with that. I can hear whats on the radio but I do as some of you have said, its just noise in the background.

In my circle of friends most of the ones who played an instrument of some sort listen to more than just whats on the radio. They talk about just wanting to sit at home, kick back and listen to music.

I think my biggest pet peeve is "Auto-Tune" I can't stand it at all. Sadly its almost everywhere in music now. Even the new Alice Cooper cd has it on a track.
MonkeyDAthos
Me thinks, that some people don't dig music too deeply so their ear isn't much ready to accept, for example an world domination Petrucci solo, or maybe not and i am completely wrong. who knows tongue.gif
Cosmin Lupu
It's hard to judge smile.gif a good musical taste comes from education, antourage, ideals - it's a combo of factors actually... Who's to blame? Society?
TesttubeMammoth
I listen to a lot of music while I work and to be honest I tend to prefer more easy going stuff.
I am a programmer and when I'm trying to think about problems having background music allows me to concentrate better than loud tunes with loads of distortion.
Oddly I can concentrate well when listening to really involved tunes, just metal tends to sap my ability to concentrate!

When I work I generally listen to stuff like Frank Gambale, Allan Holdsworth, Larry Carlton, Flecktones, Greg Howe, Jeff Healey (mainly the jazz stuff) and Weather Report.
Bands that don't help me concentrate are Animals as Leaders, Meshuggah, Alestorm, Periphery and Tool.

I love all these bands btw, that's why I listed them.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (TesttubeMammoth @ Sep 15 2011, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I listen to a lot of music while I work and to be honest I tend to prefer more easy going stuff.
I am a programmer and when I'm trying to think about problems having background music allows me to concentrate better than loud tunes with loads of distortion.
Oddly I can concentrate well when listening to really involved tunes, just metal tends to sap my ability to concentrate!

When I work I generally listen to stuff like Frank Gambale, Allan Holdsworth, Larry Carlton, Flecktones, Greg Howe, Jeff Healey (mainly the jazz stuff) and Weather Report.
Bands that don't help me concentrate are Animals as Leaders, Meshuggah, Alestorm, Periphery and Tool.

I love all these bands btw, that's why I listed them.

I am a huge Tool and Periphery fan! biggrin.gif although, when I am working, I listen to ambiental music smile.gif concentration needs different kinds of fueling in order to go at full power biggrin.gif you are very right. Although, I could not listen to jazz-fusion and do smth else in the same time..that stuff makes me focus on it entirely!
Ivan Milenkovic
Hahah, I love listening to Gambale, Holdsworth, Howe, Miles, all the classics too while working on something, but it's also something that many people just didn't heard of! smile.gif

Most people I believe stick to really watered down pop music with ethnic elements, what do you think? smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 15 2011, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahah, I love listening to Gambale, Holdsworth, Howe, Miles, all the classics too while working on something, but it's also something that many people just didn't heard of! smile.gif

Most people I believe stick to really watered down pop music with ethnic elements, what do you think? smile.gif

Oh yeah! We have a lot of that stuff here...and believe it or not...there are 3-4 TV channels who air nothing but that kind of crap sad.gif
Fran
I listen to many styles, but mostly alternative/punk/rock
Gabriel Leopardi
I think that most of the people only hears the melody and in some case the lyrics... all the other things only distracts from what they are interested in hearing.. that's why the simplest styles always win. I have been talking about this with some friends and we got that conclusion... what do you think?
superize
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 14 2011, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cause they don't really listen to the music, it is just noodling in the background. To fully enjoy SRV or Death Metal you have to listen carefully, without doing other stuff. I often told my girlfriend "This song is about this topic..." even if it was a Beyonce song laugh.gif and she was like "I never really listen to the lyrics or what's going on in a song"...

This was the first thing i thought of when i read Ivan's first post. People don't listen to the music.

Always when i listen to music i try to find out whats going on and analyze it.

Thats why i cant listen to music lile hip hop, rap and all that other crap because nothing happens in the song
Gitarrero
QUOTE (superize @ Sep 15 2011, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was the first thing i thought of when i read Ivan's first post. People don't listen to the music.

Always when i listen to music i try to find out whats going on and analyze it.

Thats why i cant listen to music lile hip hop, rap and all that other crap because nothing happens in the song

Same here...few rap songs have a cathcy hook or beat that really gets my attention.
Cosmin Lupu
In my opinion, there are a few key elements which put the 'hook' into a song smile.gif

- groove
- catchy vocal line
- good production

If you have these three, you can play whatever you wish in the song smile.gif it's gonna rock nonetheless biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.