Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scalloped Fretboard
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
TesttubeMammoth
Hi biggrin.gif
I was thinking about getting this done, does anyone know any reputable places in the UK that will do it?

Honestly can't believe I am considering this, I signed up here looking to improve my blues improv!
Ho-hum, on with the neo classical shredfest.

Thanks,
Frankie.
JD_
Hey mate, i have a scalloped fingerboard, and it's amazing. So many benifits of playing it. Does take a few hours/days to get use to it. but bending and vibrato are (in my opinion) eaiser but overall playing is a bit slower a first.

Go for it!

Have u looked at Warmoth? Ordering a custom neck, and just bolting it on to your strat? Saves risking your strat neck....
Ivan Milenkovic
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 15 2011, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have u looked at Warmoth? Ordering a custom neck, and just bolting it on to your strat? Saves risking your strat neck....

This seems like an interesting option as well Frankie. At some point you may want to have your old neck the way it was, so having another neck, if the budget allows it would be a better option indeed. Not sure how much it is expensive then having a scalloped job done, usually scalloping is around 60-120 pounds, the prices vary a lot, and for Strat necks with full scalloped Warmooth neck can cost you some 120-150 pounds.

TesttubeMammoth
Oooh, interesting.
I checked out the Warmoth site and the cheapest I can seem to get a scalloped neck is about £240!
I must be doing something different. Ivan - can you tell me where on the site you found a neck at this price?

Thanks for all your help guys, if I can get a new neck for this money I think that is the best option.
I am not adverse to tinkering with my guitar, in fact I was thinking about writing a wiki article about the guitar setup kit I created - but my strat has a lovely neck and I don't fancy taking a file to it!

Thanks again. smile.gif
Ben Higgins
If you get the chance try and find a music shop that stocks a guitar with a scalloped neck and try it out first. It might not be for everyone. Then if it were me, I'd probably look into the replacement neck option that Ivan and Jax were mentioning just in case you decide to go back to your original neck.

You definitely will be able to adapt and play just fine with a scalloped neck but I'm not sure if the vibrato and bending aspects couldn't be achieved on a normal neck anyway.. I can't answer that one smile.gif Jax will be able to answer that one !

They do look amazingly good though, if nothing else ! cool.gif
JD_
If you search this site for "Marcus Lavendall" and "scalloped" you will find the great man himself commenting on the pro's and con's of using a scalloped fingerboard. Also the crazy Kristofer Dahl has a scalloped neck and comments on the same thread.

There is nothing you can't do on a normal neck compared to a scalloped neck. If anything it's a fantastic training tool for finger strength/bending/vibrato.
I love how you can get under the strings and bend them, like butter....

The last Video chat i was attending w/ Kristofer he commented on the neck and mentioned that legato was "smoother" i believe...but dont quote me on that.

If you go to the neck builder option on the warmoth site, and attempt to choose the cheapest options....or if they have a scalloped neck in stock, ready made, that will be the cheapest way to get one. Warmoth have fantastic quality parts also.
Ivan Milenkovic
Here's an option on eBay for slightly less then 199 pounds:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Fender-License...=item2eb7b27677

On Warmoth site you can check out full scalloped necks in stocks here:

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowca...&sort=price
Ben Higgins
Guys, stop it.. you're making me want one now ! Scalloped neck in maple for me biggrin.gif
TesttubeMammoth
Looks like you have to level the frets and remove the finish from them yourself if you order a neck from warmoth.
Also, including the price of the frets, nut and finish it comes closer to £250.
Would probably get stung on the way through UK customs for an additional 20% ( £50 ) + however much it cost to ship.
That's a whopping £300 - the equivelant price of about 100 pints of beer in this country!

It seems a lot cheaper for me to get my current neck scalloped and then if I don't like it simply buy a new one.
I found a guy in Scotland who will do it for about £140 ( around 46 pints wink.gif ) in Scotland including refinishing the fretboard.

I gotta give this some thought, in the meantime I am going to see if I can find a scalloped guitar to have a go on. Am definately going to try one before I get this done

JAX - I checked out the Marcus Lavendell posts and lessons, what an awesome player! Thanks for all your advice. biggrin.gif

JD_
QUOTE (TesttubeMammoth @ Sep 15 2011, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JAX - I checked out the Marcus Lavendell posts and lessons, what an awesome player! Thanks for all your advice. biggrin.gif

Happy to help mate....Marcus is amazing..... Also i am impressed that you use beer as a unit of measurement, well done wink.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
QUOTE (TesttubeMammoth @ Sep 15 2011, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like you have to level the frets and remove the finish from them yourself if you order a neck from warmoth.
Also, including the price of the frets, nut and finish it comes closer to £250.
Would probably get stung on the way through UK customs for an additional 20% ( £50 ) + however much it cost to ship.
That's a whopping £300 - the equivelant price of about 100 pints of beer in this country!

It seems a lot cheaper for me to get my current neck scalloped and then if I don't like it simply buy a new one.
I found a guy in Scotland who will do it for about £140 ( around 46 pints wink.gif ) in Scotland including refinishing the fretboard.

I gotta give this some thought, in the meantime I am going to see if I can find a scalloped guitar to have a go on. Am definately going to try one before I get this done

100 pints?? ohmy.gif Oh man, that is a lot biggrin.gif Sorry about that, it turns out costs become bigger. Well, if you don't mind changing your guitar, it's a cool way to go too smile.gif

Vaidya
Hi there
I have a scalloped guitar.It took me only an hour or so to adapt to it.
Personally,I love it.Bending and vibrato are a lot easier but they can be achieved equally well on a normal neck.
You should note that while playing chords you have to be PRECISE. Any extra force applied with your fingers will
make the chord go out of tune.
If you're into Sitar-like sounds,you can do a lot of things with it

But the important thing is whether it feels comfortable to YOU

Ben Higgins
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 15 2011, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also i am impressed that you use beer as a unit of measurement, well done wink.gif

Yes I also like the pint reference... maybe we should all adopt that as a way of deciding what to spend our money on ! biggrin.gif
TesttubeMammoth
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 15 2011, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I also like the pint reference... maybe we should all adopt that as a way of deciding what to spend our money on ! biggrin.gif

It is a good way of measuring currency, but not so great for measuring time.

So, after having considered the options I think the best way to go about this scalloping is to do it myself.
I contacted my local music shop and they were pretty unhelpful.
I have a couple of old guitars I use for spares so I will practice on those first and see if I like it too.

Will let you know how that pans out!
Ivan Milenkovic
I bet in 10 pint of beer that the scalloping job will be successful smile.gif
JD_
Good to know mate, good luck with it all..... Hopefully it only take you 6 pints to complete the job.....And by doing it yourself your saving yourself a few pints too.... Hehe all over it....

Adrian Figallo
i'd say go for it, but just if you feel that there is nothing special with your neck smile.gif
TesttubeMammoth
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Sep 16 2011, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'd say go for it, but just if you feel that there is nothing special with your neck smile.gif

You know, there is something special about the neck on my strat.
Thanks for saving me from myself!
Luckily I have an ibanez s470 which has a very average neck.
Now, all this talk of pints and scallops has made me hungry - hungry for a tasty rock masterpiece the likes of which has never been seen! biggrin.gif
AK Rich
laugh.gif This is an awesome thread! laugh.gif I have been torturing myself for months now on whether to attack my Warmoth neck with a file or just order a new one scalloped or better yet just buy a new axe with a scalloped fretboard, I played one a few months back in a music store in Anchorage and I absolutely loved it, getting under the strings as someone else mentioned was a big reason , I have trouble from time to time loosing a string halfway thru a bend and .... well its frustrating. I dont think I would ever have that prob with the scalloped fretboard, also I thought it was extremely smooth and fast and it made me play lighter. I am definately going to get one. one way or another wink.gif
JD_
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Sep 16 2011, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif This is an awesome thread! laugh.gif I have been torturing myself for months now on whether to attack my Warmoth neck with a file or just order a new one scalloped or better yet just buy a new axe with a scalloped fretboard, I played one a few months back in a music store in Anchorage and I absolutely loved it, getting under the strings as someone else mentioned was a big reason , I have trouble from time to time loosing a string halfway thru a bend and .... well its frustrating. I dont think I would ever have that prob with the scalloped fretboard, also I thought it was extremely smooth and fast and it made me play lighter. I am definately going to get one. one way or another wink.gif

Yea mate, go for it. The GRIP you have on the strings with a scalloped neck is amazing, it's just fingers and string, no wood to get in the way. You really do get 'under' the strings when bending.

I have a "Deep Scallop" on my neck.....I dont know about any other depths or anything like that, as I have only played this one....

Ben Higgins
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 16 2011, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea mate, go for it. The GRIP you have on the strings with a scalloped neck is amazing, it's just fingers and string, no wood to get in the way. You really do get 'under' the strings when bending.

I have a "Deep Scallop" on my neck.....I dont know about any other depths or anything like that, as I have only played this one....

That looks sooooo good ! biggrin.gif
TesttubeMammoth
JAX - can you get a blues tone on that? Do you have any examples? It does look amazing...
Ivan Milenkovic
That scallop looks awesome Jax, very neatly done. Maple fretboard scallop looks very smooth smile.gif
JD_
Cheers Ivan.....

The guitar (Scallopy) sounds very impressive. She has DiMarzio's in her..... Blues-Neck, Virtual 2 "Heavy Blues"-Middle and Virtual Solo-Bridge. Very Vesitile tone range too....

Here is a lesson i did a while back using this guitar, and a tone i made on POD farm, note that I didn't check the Intonation, so when i played this, some of the higher bends are a lil out....

Click to view attachment

attachment is MP4...so iTunes / Quicktime
TesttubeMammoth
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 16 2011, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers Ivan.....
Here is a lesson i did a while back using this guitar, and a tone i made on POD farm, note that I didn't check the Intonation, so when i played this, some of the higher bends are a lil out....

That sounds really good.
You're a very talented player Jax. biggrin.gif I might have to track down that lesson at some point and have a go, I like the solo a lot.

I just went out and got a round file, some needle files, sandpaper of varying grades, masking tape, exacto knife etc.
It cost me around six and a half pints. Luckily I have some old necks to practice on.

If it works I will post photos biggrin.gif, if not then let's never speak of this again!
JD_
QUOTE (TesttubeMammoth @ Sep 16 2011, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sounds really good.
You're a very talented player Jax. biggrin.gif I might have to track down that lesson at some point and have a go, I like the solo a lot.

I just went out and got a round file, some needle files, sandpaper of varying grades, masking tape, exacto knife etc.
It cost me around six and a half pints. Luckily I have some old necks to practice on.

If it works I will post photos biggrin.gif, if not then let's never speak of this again!

Thanks mate, I really appreciate your kind words...... Hopefully One day I will be talented.....
when i can do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7YIWOSBX_U I will be talented.

I am very interested to see how your scallop job will turn out, post your results in here or PM me....

Six and a half pints is worth spending on this, cause if it works, you'll be laughing! Good Luck mate cool.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Good luck mate, let us know how it went! smile.gif
TesttubeMammoth
Ok, first set of channels filed out, I have done the whole neck like this.
It is taking ages! Will post more pics when I finish, I think I have got the depth about right...

ZX6
good luck man, it's looking good !!
Adrian Figallo
woaaa, looking good man, let us know how it goes!
AK Rich
QUOTE (TesttubeMammoth @ Sep 16 2011, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, first set of channels filed out, I have done the whole neck like this.
It is taking ages! Will post more pics when I finish, I think I have got the depth about right...

W0W ohmy.gif you didnt waste anytime time getting on that did you? looks nice and kinda sexy actually. I wonder if the truss rod will need to be re-adjusted after taking that much wood? I will wager half a pint it does take a slight adjustment smile.gif
TesttubeMammoth
So, it's finished.
I am quite pleased with the result, I decided to use an old washburn g5v in the end that I had been keeping for spares.

I did have several pickups but since there were no pots or a switch I decided to just install a single pickup and wire it straight into the jack socket. Neck seemed like a clear choice smile.gif
When I had finished sanding and filing I cleaned the fingerboard and then rubbed loads of lemon oil into it to darken it down.

Pictures
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Sound
And here's a quick improvisation I just did so you can hear it in action (bear in mind I was making it up as I went along!):
Click to view attachment

Was it worth it?
Well I think so - even if it was just so I could get an idea what a scalloped guitar would feel like. I didn't do a perfect job by any means and the guitar I was working with was pretty beaten up but it has given me a reasonable impression of how they feel to play.

Would I do it to my main guitar?
Hahahaha no! I would certainly not brutalize the neck of my strat like that! Even though I suspect it is a bit easier to file maple than rosewood. I would however consider buying a new neck that had been scalloped professionally funds permitting.

Cost
In the end it cost me the equivalent of 6 and a half pints to do this and probably took around 6 hours.

Hope you guys found this as interesting as I did!

Frankie.

Ben Higgins
Hey Frankie, great job !! And yes it does sound nice... have you noticed any advantages with performing vibrato and bends ? smile.gif
TesttubeMammoth
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 18 2011, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Frankie, great job !! And yes it does sound nice... have you noticed any advantages with performing vibrato and bends ? smile.gif

Hey Ben,
Since I spent so much time playing bass in the past vibrato is something that I have never really worked on (saying that, I am practicing your vibrato oddesy lesson 2 at the moment - muchos gracias smile.gif ).
I can't say that it has improved my vibrato - I can bend higher much more easily though.
To be honest, the result wasn't at all what I expected.
I guess I expected to be able to push the string right down to the fingerboard really easily. This isn't the case.
Instead when you fret it feels quite alien, like you have the option to push the string in further if you want to but they are still quite rigid bridging the frets.
Trying to play quick economy picking feels strange too, probably because I am not used to it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it isn't any better or worse, I can play chords fine without going out of tune - it's just a different feel.
I would recommend having a go on one before comitting to buying one though, just because it is so different. I don't think many guitars have scalloped fretboards though, apart from the Yngwie and Ritchie Blackmore strats and I believe the Ibanez Jem has a partial scallop too.

Well worth a go. Maybe I'll try and do some comparisons between the Washburn and my Strat at some point when I get better at this whole vibrato thing smile.gif

Adrian Figallo
great work man, it does sound good too, i got inspired by your experience, and i will partially do it on my signature model, just from the fret 19 until the 22, i think it's going to be a nice feature, thanks!
Sinisa Cekic
Looks exotic, thank you for pictures and fair review smile.gif!
Gabriel Leopardi
hey Frankie! this is a great post. I think that you did a great job and it's really amazing to see the progress here. I had a guitar teacher (the one that helped me with the neoclassical stuff) that has some scalloped guitar and they feel really good for vibrato and bending. I have never had one but I use to play a lot on his guitars.
TesttubeMammoth
Thanks guys - yeah it didn't turn out too bad. I certainly didn't make that guitar any worse!
Good luck with your guitar Adrian, you have probably picked the best frets to scallop. Because you only have to file out small channels it should be much quicker for you. Let us know how it turns out smile.gif
Adrian Figallo
fure sure man, gladly i'm not going to make the holes biggrin.gif
JD_
Hey mate, how it going? Well done on the job...A simple question turned into a informative thread and a review!
This will help others who are considering to do the same and try out a scalloped guitar.\

I hope it helps with your playing and advancing you as much as possible...bend and vibrato that bad boy till the sun comes up.... tongue.gif

When i forst got mine, i put heavier guage string on her and utilised the rigid/solid feel of the strings to help my fingers build up strength....It smashed my fingertips and the actual fingers...After a while i got used to it and it did wonders for my strength.

And yours only came at the cost of a few Pints....Win!
Praetorian
I sent my Ibanez neck to a fellow on ebay and he did a fantastic job! I love it!
Adrian Figallo
to what user man? i might be interested in refinishing a neck, why not a complete makeover biggrin.gif?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.