Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (7,6 Pass) Rocko - Picking Hand Basics
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > REC
rocko
Original lesson: Picking Hand Basics by Ben Higgins

Hello,

this is my first REC video, oh wait, in fact it's the first video in general from me on GMC wink.gif

I hope I've done everything right smile.gif

best regards
Andreas

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Andreas! It's great to find your first entry here! Congrats!
There are some things to improve on your playing. There is intensity difference between the notes that you are playing. It seems that you play the downstrokes with more strength than the upstrokes. Try to play every note at the same volume. Besides that I think that you should try picking stronger all the notes. Another thing that I note is that you change your right hand movement for the faster parts. You move less your wrist and more your arm in the faster parts... if you check Ben's video you'll notice that he does the same type of movement in the slower and in the faster parts. Work on those things! Cheers. smile.gif
Ben Higgins
Hi Andreas, it's great to see that you've decided to get involved in REC ! biggrin.gif

Ok, Gabriel mentioned the difference in intensity when picking. At the moment some notes are very quiet, but I'm assuming that's because you're trying to stay relaxed which is a good thing. Try to pick a little harder so that the notes sound positive and strong. Try not to confuse picking harder with gripping the pick too tightly.. you can pick harder without tensing up, so give this a bit of experimentation.

There was only a couple of imperfections, which occured when changing between tempos.. but after that you settled into the groove ok so I think you did well on this. Keep practising this technique though, as I would like to see you get even better and look forward to your upcoming videos cool.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Great advice from Ben and Gabe and congratulations on your first REC Andreas!

Dynamics are a very important part of a guitar player's skills and at some point you will want to pick some notes at a different intensity than others, now the thing is that before getting to play around with dynamics in your picking, you have to learn how to be even in your technique! keep practicing slow and try to apply the same power to the attack of each pick, both up and down and one other advice smile.gif try to pick viceversa too, of course keeping the steady flow and even note attack. What I mean by that is, pick by starting 'up down up down...' instead of 'down up down up' - see what happens biggrin.gif and keep up the REC takes coming!
Ivan Milenkovic
Very nicely played man. This sounds very good, and I believe that you need to work a bit more on your picking technique. There are some good advices in the thread, so I'll just remind you that you need to do your picking from the wrist, it will be easier, and try to relax your hand a bit more. Keep rocking! smile.gif
Sinisa Cekic
Congratulations on the first shot ! My impression is that you put too much flanger effect, so some of the tones are "milled" in his loop, giving a weak and unsure picking! Also, as stated above, put your palm on the bridge and try the same exercise only from the wrist!

skennington
7.6!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.