Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Double Tracking Or Quad Tracking?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
The Uncreator
Basically, Double tracking is two guitars panned 100% L/R, and quad tracking is two guitars 100% L/R and 2 guitars around 80% L/R. Which technique do you use most?

Lately I have been quad tracking, to get that "wall of sound" atmosphere. Its a great technique for those with lower quality equipment ( like myself ) and get richer, fuller harmonies.
Adrian Figallo
i aways double guitars at most, sometimes i use just one track with a panned delay or reverb.

i don't like how quad tracking sounds for my type of music, but i will try next time i record a heavy lesson, how do you eq the tracks man?, i guess you should have a couple of bassy tracks and couple of shinny?
Sinisa Cekic
Typically i like double,sometime played twice,sometime one copied,with different amp setting and panned.. But I'd like to clarify something: are you referring to Quad tracks played live, or copied ?
Here is a Tip what i like to use when I copy the first track: zoom in both channels, as much as possible, and move the second (copied) track slightly to the right , only one micron! That is a cool way how you can get widespread sound picture!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Sep 19 2011, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Typically i like double,sometime played twice,sometime one copied,with different amp setting and panned.. But I'd like to clarify something: are you referring to Quad tracks played live, or copied ?
Here is a Tip what i like to use when I copy the first track: zoom in both channels, as much as possible, and move the second (copied) track slightly to the right , only one micron! That is a cool way how you can get widespread sound picture!

I so agree with that biggrin.gif I had a friend who created some sort of 'fan' structure on the grid with 8-10 tracks of the same riff. I never thought of asking him how he did it, but it sounds a lot like what you're talking about here biggrin.gif
Saoirse O'Shea
The rare times I track and mix I prefer parallel compression to both tbh.
Ivan Milenkovic
Depends on the arrangement, sometimes if the composer envisioned richer and fuller arrangement, you can use multiple layers.

If we talk about multiplying same or very similar takes, that depends on the style. When I do quad tracking, I'm doing it with caution, cause the takes can loose on the dynamics and muddy up the mix easily. Reamping is good for this, recording all 4 tracks clean, and then making various presets, different amps work well, different plugins, because they generate different frequencies. Also, if you make 4 tracks, then very little distortion is needed on at least to of them, almost clean recorded, slightly crunchy, because it any other case it will lower down the dynamics of that particular guitar segment in the song.

More than 4 tracks is often not needed, those layers will be just lost in the mix. If you cannot make it work with 4 tracks, then something ain't right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.