Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Achieve Good Sustain?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Dinaga
Hi there fellow guitarists,

As the topic title suggests, I'm trying to achieve good sustain so I can work on bends, vibrato etc.

I'm using Guitar Rig 4. I can't seem to find a good enough preset or a component to help me do this. I found some "For the Love of God" or "Comfortably Numb" presets but they don't seem to do the trick... Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! smile.gif
JD_
Hi mate, a good way to start out is if u find a patch u like, ie: the love of god preset u mentioned....then tweak it until you have the desired effect.

Or, find a song that u like that has the sustain that u are after, and try and match it with your preset, as in, play something on your guitar, press play on the cd to see how close you are to that sound, pause and tweak...repeat until insane or until u have the sound u are after....\

It will be dependant on what guitar and pickups you have....so, what guitar and pickups are u using?
Dinaga
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 20 2011, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mate, a good way to start out is if u find a patch u like, ie: the love of god preset u mentioned....then tweak it until you have the desired effect.

Or, find a song that u like that has the sustain that u are after, and try and match it with your preset, as in, play something on your guitar, press play on the cd to see how close you are to that sound, pause and tweak...repeat until insane or until u have the sound u are after....\

It will be dependant on what guitar and pickups you have....so, what guitar and pickups are u using?

Thanks for your reply JaxN4.

I'm using Ibanez ARZ800 with EMGs. I thought it was something about the guitar too, because I found some presets rated by many as "really good" and "close to original sound", yet I wasn't satisfied with the sustain, especially when bending frets near the bridge...
JD_
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Sep 20 2011, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your reply JaxN4.

I'm using Ibanez ARZ800 with EMGs. I thought it was something about the guitar too, because I found some presets rated by many as "really good" and "close to original sound", yet I wasn't satisfied with the sustain, especially when bending frets near the bridge...

No worries mate, I just had a look at that guitar online, it's a very nice guitar indeed, and with emg's, she should wail wink.gif

Try a few different things with your tones preset, reverb and delay, and try alot of vibrato when bending....

Cheers
Dinaga
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 20 2011, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No worries mate, I just had a look at that guitar online, it's a very nice guitar indeed, and with emg's, she should wail wink.gif

Try a few different things with your tones preset, reverb and delay, and try alot of vibrato when bending....

Cheers

Will do. Thanks again for the help, cheers smile.gif
Daniel Realpe
A big part of it is the amount of gain and drive you set on your patch or amplifier. The more gain and drive, the more sustain. But make sure you use a noise gate as well!
jstcrsn
I also think that gain during lead has as much to do with your fingers getting (the tone and gain )
as it does the amp/ software
it might show an area that needspractice
Adrian Figallo
i think it may be your guitar, picking or the input level of guitar rig, how is your input level?
Dinaga
Thanks a lot for all the replies guys smile.gif

I meddled with Guitar Rig and more gain helped, but when I boosted the input level of Guitar Rig I got a great, fat sustain smile.gif Thanks a lot, you helped me a LOT biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Sep 20 2011, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks a lot for all the replies guys smile.gif

I meddled with Guitar Rig and more gain helped, but when I boosted the input level of Guitar Rig I got a great, fat sustain smile.gif Thanks a lot, you helped me a LOT biggrin.gif

Great man! I remember using that "for the love of god" preset and it has a lot of sustain. Great to know that you could solve this problem.
Ivan Milenkovic
Yes, boosting an input is usually the way you can create more sustain. It works as a booster in the real world, overdriving the input of the amp. Glad to hear you solved this small issue smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Mate, sustain is usually obtained through a tricky combination between the action and dynamics of your hands and the gain level. The more you hone your sensitivity in this matter, the better you shall master sustain. A very old friend of mine, and awesome guitarist, always told me: 'tone is coming from the guitarist's hands' with this in mind and the aid of technology, start exploring until you reach the desired sounds. wink.gif
JD_
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 21 2011, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mate, sustain is usually obtained through a tricky combination between the action and dynamics of your hands and the gain level. The more you hone your sensitivity in this matter, the better you shall master sustain. A very old friend of mine, and awesome guitarist, always told me: 'tone is coming from the guitarist's hands' with this in mind and the aid of technology, start exploring until you reach the desired sounds. wink.gif

That's great advice mate.....
Dinaga
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 21 2011, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's true, I experimented with different kinds of vibrato and got pretty distinct results. For the first time I started paying attention to the level of pressure applied to the frets. But without setting the rig properly, those tiny details weren't so apparent. There are so many things to learn about this instrument, it's amazing smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Sep 21 2011, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's true, I experimented with different kinds of vibrato and got pretty distinct results. For the first time I started paying attention to the level of pressure applied to the frets. But without setting the rig properly, those tiny details weren't so apparent. There are so many things to learn about this instrument, it's amazing smile.gif

yeah, it's true. The setting are important but it's awesome to see how the same setting with the same guitar could sound so different if you change the guitar player. That's when you make sure of how much the sounds comes from the fingers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.