Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (8 Pass) Rhoads - Bb King Style 8 Bar Blues
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > REC
rhoads
Original lesson: BB King Style 8 Bar Blues by Ivan Milenkovic

Ok, on this one I also tried to apply what you told me in the previous blues lesson. I tried to be more relaxed and to apply dynamics (as Ivan said)... I don't know, I guess it is just a matter of time. For example yesterday I did a little better and today when I recorded it just didn't go as good..

Anyway I will keep doing this kind of lessons until I get at least an overall 9 smile.gif (by the way, great blues lessons Ivan smile.gif

Please tell me if you see any improvements smile.gif

Cheers

Cosmin Lupu
Howdy mate!

The take is good, but it can be greatly improved, by widening the vibrato and paying a little more attention to some of the notes which tend to blur out a bit, here and there. We all have bad days! biggrin.gif I for one, sometimes feel that I can't play a guitar, so that's when it's time to focus on something else for sometime and the playing state of mind is gonna come back flying biggrin.gif cheerios and keep it up Mr. Rhoads!

Cosmin

QUOTE (rhoads @ Sep 22 2011, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Original lesson: BB King Style 8 Bar Blues by Ivan Milenkovic

Ok, on this one I also tried to apply what you told me in the previous blues lesson. I tried to be more relaxed and to apply dynamics (as Ivan said)... I don't know, I guess it is just a matter of time. For example yesterday I did a little better and today when I recorded it just didn't go as good..

Anyway I will keep doing this kind of lessons until I get at least an overall 9 smile.gif (by the way, great blues lessons Ivan smile.gif

Please tell me if you see any improvements smile.gif

Cheers

Ben Higgins
Strong take, Rhoads... there's nothing actually wrong with your playing here at all so it's mainly a question of experience and confidence giving your guitar playing an extra edge.

Just one thing I noticed that may help you. When you perform vibrato on the lower strings you apply the vibrato but you keep the string bent so it never returns to the starting pitch. With vibrato, treat it as if it were performing several fast bends. You're bending a string out of pitch and then returning it to pitch but doing it several times to get the effect of vibrato. A mistake many people make (in fact 99% of us do it until we correct it) is to bend the string and perform vibrato but we keep it bent out of pitch which has the effect of making it sound out of tune.

So a little exercise would be to try bending a string so that you're raising it and bringing it back to pitch. Try it really slowly and then speed it up but make sure that you can alsways bring it back to pitch at whatever speed you're doing it. I hope I make sense ?

Feel free to message me if I haven't explained it well enough smile.gif
skennington
bump
Sinisa Cekic
Very good take,fluent and clear! Whether due to bending or something else- but some tones ringing out of tune a bit. Keep practicing smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
As far as dynamics and feel goes, I think it's a very visible improvement from the last blues take, well done mate! smile.gif You got the feel down with the dynamics, important notes are raked, picked stronger etc.

I must agree with the guys that vibrato and bending needs some improvement. Bending not that much, but vibrato still needs to be polished and softer. Try to make it more "even" or "standardized" so you do it the same every time. Best cure for this is to practice vibrato technique separately with the metronome, perhaps going through Ben's vibrato odyssey for a quick fix.
skennington
solid 8!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.