Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bending
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Cosmin Lupu
Ok guys! Since today, we're going to talk about bending, I thought it would be a good thing to know what kind of stuff do you practice to improve your bending and what methods are useful for you?

I'm asking this, because these articulation techniques (bending and vibrato) are not the ones to be practiced like exercises that much wink.gif

Can't wait to talk on all of this tonight! biggrin.gif
Dinaga
An interesting topic indeed smile.gif

I agree, there aren't that many bending exercises out there. As for me, I usually just take a solo with lots of good bends and learn it. smile.gif For example I take a Pink Floyd solo and listen and watch Gilmour's playing. It can be another band, as long as the song is slow enough - Satriani's The Forgotten part 1 comes to mind, that one has some good vibrato, and of course, most of Vai's stuff... That's why I struggled so much to achieve good sustain, because I couldn't develop skills much without it smile.gif

The other way I practice it is to download a slow blues backing track and try to work on different bending techniques (1/2 step, whole step, pre-bends) and so on...
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Sep 22 2011, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An interesting topic indeed smile.gif

I agree, there aren't that many bending exercises out there. As for me, I usually just take a solo with lots of good bends and learn it. smile.gif For example I take a Pink Floyd solo and listen and watch Gilmour's playing. It can be another band, as long as the song is slow enough - Satriani's The Forgotten part 1 comes to mind, that one has some good vibrato, and of course, most of Vai's stuff... That's why I struggled so much to achieve good sustain, because I couldn't develop skills much without it smile.gif

The other way I practice it is to download a slow blues backing track and try to work on different bending techniques (1/2 step, whole step, pre-bends) and so on...

Alrighty! This sounds very good! I used to do a lot of this stuff through time, but I found out that a lot of challenging bends come from the sounds of other instruments biggrin.gif try this one for instance! It's a killer, but if you master it, it's gonna offer you a control beyond imagination:

Try and emulate the lead lines of the clarinet wink.gif
Dinaga
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 22 2011, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alrighty! This sounds very good! I used to do a lot of this stuff through time, but I found out that a lot of challenging bends come from the sounds of other instruments biggrin.gif try this one for instance! It's a killer, but if you master it, it's gonna offer you a control beyond imagination:

Try and emulate the lead lines of the clarinet wink.gif

Wow, what's this, a Turkish jazz? biggrin.gif It sounds awesome, and these leads are challenging indeed! ohmy.gif
Now you reminded me of one piece, but this one may be classified as shred on nay biggrin.gif However the intro lead would be really interesting to emulate on a guitar...

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Sep 22 2011, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, what's this, a Turkish jazz? biggrin.gif It sounds awesome, and these leads are challenging indeed! ohmy.gif
Now you reminded me of one piece, but this one may be classified as shred on nay biggrin.gif However the intro lead would be really interesting to emulate on a guitar...

THANK YOUU biggrin.gif wow this sounds so so so awesome biggrin.gif I love this piece!
JD_
Great topic Cosmin, and something i feel passionate about. I love a great bending a vibrato technique, its something that i will be studying for a long time..... A great example of where i want to be with this techniques is Gary Moore, Marcus Lavendall, and this is a perfect exam ple for me.....

Thanks to Gabe for sending this to me a wjile ago....
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 22 2011, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great topic Cosmin, and something i feel passionate about. I love a great bending a vibrato technique, its something that i will be studying for a long time..... A great example of where i want to be with this techniques is Gary Moore, Marcus Lavendall, and this is a perfect exam ple for me.....

OH YEAH! biggrin.gif Zakk has always been among my favorites! He has got a super fiery hand!!
Gitarrero
Uhm...I have never really practiced bends on their own...until I got the feedback of you instructors that my bends are weak...so I am really looking forward to the chat tonight!
Daniel Realpe
One of the best advices someone gave me is that THE BEND COMES FROM THE RIST NOT THE FINGERS! that's the key right there
JD_
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Sep 22 2011, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the best advices someone gave me is that THE BEND COMES FROM THE RIST NOT THE FINGERS! that's the key right there

Very good advice...and btw, you Wild Bends lesson is epic! I will be studying that very soon....
MonkeyDAthos
i use the boring way for practice bends tongue.gif

i trow random notes on Roland Cube Looper, and then try to bend and hit the right pitch from one half/step, Whole step etc.
also been bending like hell on 0'11/0'12 strings, and change back to 0'9 last night and i was like wow : o! i am a beast biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 22 2011, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i use the boring way for practice bends tongue.gif

i trow random notes on Roland Cube Looper, and then try to bend and hit the right pitch from one half/step, Whole step etc.
also been bending like hell on 0'11/0'12 strings, and change back to 0'9 last night and i was like wow : o! i am a beast biggrin.gif

I can say that 0.11's are hurting like hell biggrin.gif I just came back from the rehearsals right now and had a little lick to throw in which involved some bending, on the drop C PRS, brrrr... that kinda hurts sad.gif

QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Sep 22 2011, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes Daniel! I agree, although, I've seen some folks doing it from the fingers and it didn't sound bad smile.gif it feels queer for me, so I'll stick to the wrist wink.gif

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 22 2011, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uhm...I have never really practiced bends on their own...until I got the feedback of you instructors that my bends are weak...so I am really looking forward to the chat tonight!

Dude! Articulation is the most important tool a guitarist has smile.gif your level of expression is gauged by the articulation you use in your playing. So get to bending mate!
MonkeyDAthos
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 22 2011, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can say that 0.11's are hurting like hell biggrin.gif I just came back from the rehearsals right now and had a little lick to throw in which involved some bending, on the drop C PRS, brrrr... that kinda hurts sad.gif

Well my friend, Son Goku also trained with weights, even on king kai planet!! where the gravity was away tougher than earth wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 22 2011, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well my friend, Son Goku also trained with weights, even on king kai planet!! where the gravity was away tougher than earth wink.gif

Ok, yesterday I pushed 100 kilos (3 reps) at the chest workout on the horizontal press biggrin.gif does that count?
Gitarrero
you are a bragger, Cosmin! I am still working hard to finally get abs like you...just have to lose like 15 kilos of fat before laugh.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 22 2011, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you are a bragger, Cosmin! I am still working hard to finally get abs like you...just have to lose like 15 kilos of fat before laugh.gif

OK! biggrin.gif next Wednesday! I'll film it! and post it biggrin.gif tongue.gif
ZX6
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 22 2011, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK! biggrin.gif next Wednesday! I'll film it! and post it biggrin.gif tongue.gif

we must see to believe tongue.gif
Bossie
Don't talk to me about bending..a very long time ago i was playing that legendary ' still got the blues lick'.... smile.gif
I was pretty glad to nail it then..untill my wife told me my bends ware horribly wrong ( she has perfect pitch ears !!)

She probably heared me play it 15 times in a day and couldn't stand it anymore...now she has a lil whip she uses
whenever i bend wrong....that whip laugh.gif did it for me !!

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 22 2011, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahah I love this solo!! Zakk wylde's vibrato and bends on this one are so inspiring. smile.gif
JD_
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 23 2011, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hahah I love this solo!! Zakk wylde's vibrato and bends on this one are so inspiring. smile.gif

Yea mate I have watched this alot since u sent it to me.....i am working on this technique and will attempt to incorporate it into my playing...thanks again!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 23 2011, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea mate I have watched this alot since u sent it to me.....i am working on this technique and will attempt to incorporate it into my playing...thanks again!

haha yeah, it's addictive. It's in my list on solos to learn. I love it.
Cosmin Lupu
How about this one? I always recommend it to anyone who wants to see the real deal regarding articulation skills biggrin.gif

Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Sep 22 2011, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn right ! It's the same with vibrato too. Remember, the fingers are just the point of contact but the motion itself uses the wrist and the forearm.

Fingers on their own do not have enough strength and control so to get the really juicy bends and vibrato you need to learn to make your fingers, wrist and forearm work together in harmony smile.gif
JD_
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 23 2011, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
haha yeah, it's addictive. It's in my list on solos to learn. I love it.

Now that would be an awesome lesson...hint hint wink.gif tongue.gif
zoom
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 23 2011, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about this one? I always recommend it to anyone who wants to see the real deal regarding articulation skills biggrin.gif

Flip a dipper ohmy.gif "He Sucks"

WOW!

I love it!! biggrin.gif

I find bending hard. What's the Secret?
Ivan Milenkovic
When I look at it more carefully, as much as the wrist is moving forward/backward (and that is not a big movement), the forearm plays a major role too, with the rotating movement.
Cosmin Lupu
As I probably stated before in some previous threads and posts, I never studied vibrato as a technique but I always used my ears and tried to imitate my favorite lines be it guitar, vocals, sax or any other instrument that could be mimicked by using bending and vibrato.

As Daniel said, the movement is clearly done from the wrist, but it's a matter of personal taste regarding how wide or fast the vibrato is executed or when the vibrato occurs when bending and wanting to articulate a certain note by using vibrato immediately afterwards.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.