Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Me Pick Some Catchy Songs/melodies
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Amir Razmara
Hi Guys
I've been teaching guitar at local instrument shops in Washington for the past 10 years. Several months ago due the terrible economic situation In America I was laid off work and I've been teaching on a much smaller scale since then. Today I was at a local "middle school" trying to promote myself as a guitar teacher, after going to many schools with no luck, today I got to talk to the art director of this school and I was told I could bring my guitar to their class this coming Monday and play for them (for few minutes) & have my flyers passed around. If the kids like what they hear they may want to take lessons with me. I'm trying to see what I can play to sound interesting to these kids, I assume they are 10 to 14 age wise, I appreciate if you could give me some suggestions on what to play. I also play the classical guitar, so I'm trying to see weather I should take the electric or the classical or both of them to their class .
Thanks
Amir Razmara
Daniel Realpe
Maybe something from Eric Clapton's unplugged could be very captivating
Adrian Figallo
agree with the clapton stuff, also, i would play some BB king blues on the electric, something classy but with attitude.
Azzaboi
The classical maybe a bit of a risk for dis-interest. Use the electric and play some or just parts of these songs, great hits youths should enjoy and probably know:

Peace of Mind - Boston
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson
Canon Rock - JerryC
I'm Alright - Neil Zaza
Beast and the Harlot - Avenged Sevenfold
Jessica - Allman Brothers Band
Layla - Eric Clapton
F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X. - Fall of Troy
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger
Message in a Bottle - Police
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
The NEW Canon Rock - MattRach
Thunderstruck - ACDC
La Bamba - Ritchie Valens
Dammit - Blink 182
Scotty Doesn't Know - Lustra
Icky Thump - The Whtie Stripes
Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
The Trooper - Iron Maiden
Reptilia - The Strokes
Walla Walla - The Offspring
Smooth - Santana
Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry
I'll Be There For You - The Rembrandts
YYZ - Rush
Life in the Fast Lane - The Eagles
Last Resort - Papa Roach
Siberian Sleigh Ride - Trans Siberian Orchestra
Knights of Cydonia - Muse
My Sharona - The Knack
Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Kids Aren't Alright - Offspring
Light my Fire - The Doors
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Snow - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Eruption - Van Halen

ps. don't treat a youth like a kid! Your'll be surprised what this generation is into.
Amir Razmara
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Sep 29 2011, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The classical maybe a bit of a risk for dis-interest. Use the electric and play some or just parts of these songs, great hits youths should enjoy and probably know:

Peace of Mind - Boston
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson
Canon Rock - JerryC
I'm Alright - Neil Zaza
Beast and the Harlot - Avenged Sevenfold
Jessica - Allman Brothers Band
Layla - Eric Clapton
F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X. - Fall of Troy
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger
Message in a Bottle - Police
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
The NEW Canon Rock - MattRach
Thunderstruck - ACDC
La Bamba - Ritchie Valens
Dammit - Blink 182
Scotty Doesn't Know - Lustra
Icky Thump - The Whtie Stripes
Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
The Trooper - Iron Maiden
Reptilia - The Strokes
Walla Walla - The Offspring
Smooth - Santana
Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry
I'll Be There For You - The Rembrandts
YYZ - Rush
Life in the Fast Lane - The Eagles
Last Resort - Papa Roach
Siberian Sleigh Ride - Trans Siberian Orchestra
Knights of Cydonia - Muse
My Sharona - The Knack
Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Kids Aren't Alright - Offspring
Light my Fire - The Doors
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Snow - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Eruption - Van Halen

ps. don't treat a youth like a kid! Your'll be surprised what this generation is into.

Hay Azzaboi...thanks dude I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such a nice list to help me out, I was thinking today how I should approach these guys on Monday and I thought I should try to be engaging as well as apposed to go in there and play everything I know in that short time without communicating with these kids, so maybe ask one of theme If they would like show what they can play? But I certainly need a good list of song to choose from. Thanks again.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Amir Razmara @ Sep 29 2011, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hay Azzaboi...thanks dude I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such a nice list to help me out, I was thinking today how I should approach these guys on Monday and I thought I should try to be engaging as well as apposed to go in there and play everything I know in that short time without communicating with these kids, so maybe ask one of theme If they would like show what they can play? But I certainly need a good list of song to choose from. Thanks again.

Hey Amir! I would suggest interaction smile.gif prepare just a few songs, no more than 5 - 6 just to have an extra in your sleeve! The rest of the time, you should really talk to them and see what they like so that you may figure out how to approach the situation smile.gif this is what I'd do!
MonkeyDAthos
Pixies - Where's my mind? biggrin.gif
MickeM
Hi Amir, I think you should try to make as broad a performance as possible. Covering several genres. Both to the students as well as to the head of the class.
Acoustic guitar. It's more musical as a lonesone instrument.
I think songs like Greensleeves, The Boxer (if you sing), some Jazz, Working class hero (kids would know that from Greenday), a reggea piece, a classical piece. Compressed into the few minutes you've got. Good luck! smile.gif
Gary
Try this one... hard not to have a smile on your face after listening to it.

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...taccato-lesson/

Cheers!
Gary
Azzaboi
Agree you should have a few songs, but mostly get to know the audience, get to know their interests and talk to them as well. If a keen kid knows how to play already offer to jam with him/her could be risky but a good way to get a laugh and a lot of feedback/interaction. If no ones keen 95% the chance for not embarrassing themselves, if you know the songs they know and enjoy play one or two of them. You dont really need a plan, could wing it. Just whatever you do make it a lot of fun and enjoy! Singing is optional, but be sure about that one if you do.
Sinisa Cekic
First- talk to them! Lead them to tell you what they like to listen and - do they have a favorite band or singer ? The rest is up to you wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.