Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh, Lord: Where To Start
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
pappadaddy
Hello:

Recently retired from high school teaching after thirty years. Yes, an old timer among the rank and frets? I'm a self-taught, play-what's-in-my-head kinda player, so I figure maybe it's possible (now that I have all this free time) to break years of bad habits (never had a formal lesson). So joined GMC. I picked up my first guitar after listening to Mike Bloomfield. I've always wanted to "sound" like him. You know, with those T-Bone sounding licks. They've been in my head a long time. Like to get 'em out. So I'm thinkin' maybe start with scales and modes. I can play little bit out of a box (E, G, A). Or maybe try to learn a whole solo over I-IV-V first. Browsing levels, seems like I'm 1-4, but maybe because I know many "pieces" (50 Hot Blues Licks of All Time!) but don't know how to put them all together. Yeah, too many pieces, and I don't know where to start. Anyway, all I know is that it feels like this might be the right place to spend my time.

PD

I play a "Texas Style" Fender Strat w/2 single coil and a humbucker
Also, a 1970 Guild G-37 acoustic, spruce top, maple back and sides
Dinaga
Hey man, welcome smile.gif

This is definitely a place you want to be if you want to improve. When you start browsing lessons and the forum, it's really hard to stop smile.gif And if you have any bad habits, this is the perfect place to correct them using the REC feature, but it's also the place to learn new stuff, technique-wise or theory-wise. But the best thing is being able to hang out with other guitarists, sharing knowledge and experience.

Rock on mate!
MonkeyDAthos
Where To Start

1º set the goal
2ºbest way to achieve the goal
3ºpractice for it
4ºown it
5ºnext goal
Daniel Realpe
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 30 2011, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where To Start

1º set the goal
3ºpractice for it
4ºown it
5ºnext goal

great advice!

that's how I learned. Set a goal song for example, own it, move on!
Azzaboi
Consider there is no start or finish...

You are inspired, have a sense of direction and focus, so go play it! Find what you struggle on, find your bad habits, find the areas which you need to improve. Most people play stuff that they already know how to do, maybe for years, making little or no progress. If you challenge yourself against what you currently can't do, it opens up improvement. However, this will get you down quick if you feel your not making progress and isn't as fun. The skill level here at GMC shouldn't be rock solid, it gives an idea, but you might be great in one areas and need work in another, one hand might be slower than the other, it's not a straight line but working them all up together in sync.

So the plan is:
Target one or so of your bad habits or techniques you wish to boost. Focus on one hand at a time, break it down to easy pieces. If stuck for a while, give it a good shoot but then move onto other exercises like it. Your'll find stopping and coming back to something later on can be that much more easier if you work around the area first tackling it from the sides. Once your got those pieces, fit them together like a jigsaw and start developing/mixing in your own stuff.

Keep practice away from jamming! Jamming is playing stuff you already know in your sleep and mucking around.

I tend to: Warm up > Practice > Correct Habit > Jam > Correct Habit
(Bad habits are the slow downs of progress, breaking a bad habit can be hard and you need to ensure you don't slide back into it, however this can boost your playing skill like you would never of believed)

I would suggest learning the blues scales and some tasty licks around them.

Focus on one hardish song you really want to achieve. Break it down, play it in parts and work out where you need work, practice on that area, coming back ever now and then to that song. Keep mixing it up with exercises.

As for where you should start (or work towards) on GMC, maybe Ivan's Blues Series:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...nd-Minor-Boxes/
Todd Simpson
Many congrats on making it all the way through to retirement! Now the fun can begin! smile.gif You have picked the right place. I"m Tod and I teach video chat lessons here @ GMC each Saturday at 5PM EST so do stop by! We focus a lot on technique but also try to work on actual "soloing" quite a bit as we play against a backing during many lessons.

Also, pop in to the other video chats and don't be shy about asking questions! The real time interaction is a great way to learn

Welcome!
Todd

QUOTE (pappadaddy @ Sep 30 2011, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello:

Recently retired from high school teaching after thirty years. Yes, an old timer among the rank and frets? I'm a self-taught, play-what's-in-my-head kinda player, so I figure maybe it's possible (now that I have all this free time) to break years of bad habits (never had a formal lesson). So joined GMC. I picked up my first guitar after listening to Mike Bloomfield. I've always wanted to "sound" like him. You know, with those T-Bone sounding licks. They've been in my head a long time. Like to get 'em out. So I'm thinkin' maybe start with scales and modes. I can play little bit out of a box (E, G, A). Or maybe try to learn a whole solo over I-IV-V first. Browsing levels, seems like I'm 1-4, but maybe because I know many "pieces" (50 Hot Blues Licks of All Time!) but don't know how to put them all together. Yeah, too many pieces, and I don't know where to start. Anyway, all I know is that it feels like this might be the right place to spend my time.

PD

I play a "Texas Style" Fender Strat w/2 single coil and a humbucker
Also, a 1970 Guild G-37 acoustic, spruce top, maple back and sides

Blister
Hi PD & a warm welcome to GMC! smile.gif You are definitely in the right place. The instructors are amazing & respond fast to forum questions or Personal Messages. But don't underestimate the talent & experience of your fellow students (as you can see above)! I'm hooked on the video chats & I try to be a regular at Todd's lesson (the fastest two hours of your life!) I would love to make the other chats but the times don't fit my work schedule. Hope to see you in the forums & the chats! biggrin.gif

Gary
John72
Welcome! I'm new myself, but I think this is definitely the right place if you're looking to learn new stuff. I've been spending time working on about 3 different lessons. I'm thinking I'll tackle 2 or three more next week while still working on these three a little. I'm still trying to figure out the best way.

I've been taking formal lessons for the last year after learning mostly by myself. I think it's a lot easier to target exactly what you want to learn, and go at your own pace using GMC. So, congratz on making the right first choice!

pappadaddy
Thank you, and I will need to learn how to take advantage of the expertise here.
PD

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 30 2011, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where To Start

1º set the goal
3ºpractice for it
4ºown it
5ºnext goal

Thanks for the advice.
PD
Gabriel Leopardi
hey man! welcome to the site! It's really good to know that you are interested in continue improving your guitar playing and also in learning improvisation concepts. Be sure that you'll find all the things that you need here at GMC. smile.gif
Ben Higgins
Hi, PD.. welcome to GMC smile.gif The most important weapon in our arsenal when it comes to learning is desire. If you have that desire (which you do) to change a bad habit then that's what will kick start your success !

Cosmin Lupu
Hey there and welcome to GMC! biggrin.gif I Always appreciate people which find themselves in a continuous pursuit of knowledge and self development so, yeah, ALL DUE RESPECT SIR!! My name is Cosmin, I am an instructor here and I am at your service regarding anything you wish to know around here smile.gif

Cosmin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.