Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pickup Installation Help
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Wheelyonyourface
Hey guys. I am installing some new pups today. I have the wiring diagrams and am confident I can swap the pickups quite easily. However, I have a question regarding taping off the black and white wires. I presume I would use electrical tape...is this right? Thanks in advance guys.
Wheelyonyourface
The reason why I ask this is because the guy at lowes hardware said I should use duct tape. Id rather look stupid asking a question than look stupid after my guitar blows up smile.gif
SpaseMoonkey
QUOTE (Wheelyonyourface @ Oct 18 2011, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys. I am installing some new pups today. I have the wiring diagrams and am confident I can swap the pickups quite easily. However, I have a question regarding taping off the black and white wires. I presume I would use electrical tape...is this right? Thanks in advance guys.

Yeppers! That will work most of my car is filled with that stuff from all my aftermarket stereo equipment. Another thing you could use is heat shrink tape.
GregH
If it were me, after soldering the wire joint, I would cover it with heat shrink tubing.
Heat shrink tubing, as the name implies, is insulating tubing that shrinks with heat. It would be put over the wire (slid out of the way) before the wire junction was soldered. It would then be slid over the joint and shrunk with heat (a match would do in a pinch). It is available from any electronics supply house (for instance Radio Shack if there is one where you live) or from a hobby shop.
If you don’t have access to a suitable store, then electrical tape or any other tape with a low water content would work. Duct tape will work but is far from my first choice. Good luck.
Greg
Wheelyonyourface
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. When im finished tomorrow ill let you know how everything went.
Mudbone
Just make sure you use 60/40 rosin core solder and not plumbing solder (yes I made that mistake before tongue.gif)
Adrian Figallo
good luck with that man, i would love to be able to work my electronics, but i'm too scared of doing it biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Oct 19 2011, 04:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good luck with that man, i would love to be able to work my electronics, but i'm too scared of doing it biggrin.gif

As silly as it may sound...me too biggrin.gif and I'm an engineer laugh.gif at least that's what's written on my diploma laugh.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
I like soldering and did several guitars before (some of them didn't get the best treatment, but it was a trial&error process cool.gif )

Heat shrinking tube is the best way, but you can use electrical tape no problem. Don't do any isolation before you thoroughly inspect if the equipment works, there are no buzzing noises, problems with grounding etc.. Check the middle positions of the pickups (usually there is a problem there if you wired incorrectly, they can sound nasal or weak in loudness compared to primary positions). If everything is OK, then isolate all the joints properly.

Also, if you are using tubing, don't forget to put it on one string since after you solder you cannot put it on (unless you cut it in length, but that can make a sloppy isolation with bare points.
Adrian Figallo
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 19 2011, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like soldering and did several guitars before (some of them didn't get the best treatment, but it was a trial&error process cool.gif )

Heat shrinking tube is the best way, but you can use electrical tape no problem. Don't do any isolation before you thoroughly inspect if the equipment works, there are no buzzing noises, problems with grounding etc.. Check the middle positions of the pickups (usually there is a problem there if you wired incorrectly, they can sound nasal or weak in loudness compared to primary positions). If everything is OK, then isolate all the joints properly.

Also, if you are using tubing, don't forget to put it on one string since after you solder you cannot put it on (unless you cut it in length, but that can make a sloppy isolation with bare points.

Hey dude, maybe you can do a video tutorial about it? that would be incredibly useful for a bunch of people i'm sure!
Wheelyonyourface
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Oct 20 2011, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey dude, maybe you can do a video tutorial about it? that would be incredibly useful for a bunch of people i'm sure!

He's right. That would be great man!

p.s. Still haven't finished installing the pups. Musicians friend sent me the wrong spaced pickups even though I asked for f-spaced 5 times smile.gif.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.