Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heavy Phrygian Mode Collab
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Sinisa Cekic
Sinisa Cekic
Ok guys, my first video collab !
I would like to show me how you gonna play this one!

It's about Em, F chord progression. You have several options - you can play minor Phrygian mode or simply - C major scale! You can also play a dominant variant of Phrygian mode !

And one very interesting E byzantine scale smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

Conditions are :

Send me video of lead guitar. Listen to backing track with headphones !
For those who have already recorded video clips before = plus one audio take with a backing, and one solo take- just your guitar !!!

Deadline: 20.December.'11 !

thanks guys

Click to view attachment

HungryForHeaven
This will be awesome! I'm gonna give this a try.

But wouldn't the G# sound weird over the Em? Or is the minor 3rd not present?

H4H
Sinisa Cekic
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Nov 30 2011, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This will be awesome! I'm gonna give this a try.

But wouldn't the G# sound weird over the Em? Or is the minor 3rd not present?

H4H

G# is a third of Phrygian Major mode. If you notice, the progression is played with the power chords, E5,F5.
As I said, you can to try both variants, Any of them gonna fit perfect smile.gif

AK Rich
Sounds sinister Sinisa tongue.gif
HungryForHeaven
Ok, that's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure, since you wrote Em.
It's gonna be really cool, nevertheless!
Sinisa Cekic
You and every else can maybe borrow some licks wink.gif http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Oriental-Phrases/
AK Rich
Boogedy!! ph34r.gif My girl Stacie said this collab sounded psychotic. laugh.gif Here is my take, I tried a different approach on this collab and went in with no real plan so its pretty much straight improv. I kind of had a little brain fart at the end unsure.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks Sinisa! Rich...
Sinisa Cekic
Where are you guys ? smile.gif
AK Rich
hmm maybe Christmas shopping? I was going to redo my take since the day after I made it I listened to it and said to myself what the hell is that? laugh.gif
AK Rich
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Dec 17 2011, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where are you guys ? smile.gif

Maybe my smoking scared them away, my bad unsure.gif cough*
Sinisa Cekic
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Dec 18 2011, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe my smoking scared them away, my bad unsure.gif cough*

Hhahahaha, nice one !
Nimrandir
I'm in! smile.gif Hope I won't miss the deadline smile.gif.

I'd like to do some diminished seventh arpeggio tapping, am I right in assuming that G#dim7 works here? smile.gif
Sinisa Cekic
QUOTE (Nimrandir @ Dec 18 2011, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in! smile.gif Hope I won't miss the deadline smile.gif.

I'd like to do some diminished seventh arpeggio tapping, am I right in assuming that G#dim7 works here? smile.gif

Grab your axe smile.gif ! Yeah, G#dim fits fine !!!
quadrium
Hey Sinisa,

Here is my take smile.gif

HungryForHeaven
AK Rich
Hey Sin!

Can I trade ya this take for my first take on this collab? Edit: If I am not too late that is.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Nimrandir
Oops, I thought the deadline is a bit later. Sorry!

I've got audio recorded and going to record video and post my take later today smile.gif.
Sinisa Cekic
Fantastic job guys smile.gif

QUOTE (Nimrandir @ Dec 23 2011, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oops, I thought the deadline is a bit later. Sorry!

I've got audio recorded and going to record video and post my take later today smile.gif.

Never to late Nim smile.gif, waiting for you !
AK Rich
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Dec 22 2011, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Sin!

Can I trade ya this take for my first take on this collab? Edit: If I am not too late that is.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Did you need the vid too? here it is.

Click to view attachment
Sinisa Cekic
This is praiseworthy Rich - No cigars, hahahahahah .. !!
Nimrandir
Ok, here's my take. Had to use my brother's guitar for this one (mine has a bloken string and I don't have a replacement), which didn't help at all smile.gif. I tried to cover complete lack of creativity with some shredding, hope my plan worked biggrin.gif. The video quality is very bad and it's very dark, I probably can try to rerecord it if it's needed (also it's not perfectly in sync as I recorded video separately from audio rolleyes.gif ).

Anyway.. it's my first video collab! smile.gif

HungryForHeaven
QUOTE (Nimrandir @ Dec 23 2011, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, here's my take. Had to use my brother's guitar for this one (mine has a bloken string and I don't have a replacement), which didn't help at all smile.gif. I tried to cover complete lack of creativity with some shredding, hope my plan worked biggrin.gif. The video quality is very bad and it's very dark, I probably can try to rerecord it if it's needed (also it's not perfectly in sync as I recorded video separately from audio rolleyes.gif ).

Good stuff!

H4H
Sinisa Cekic
UltraMegaSega biggrin.gif !
SirJamsalot
QUOTE (Nimrandir @ Dec 23 2011, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude! That was insanely good! You have great feel in your bends and your technical abilities leave me envious!How about a video lesson showing your licks!

Great job!
Chris
AK Rich
QUOTE (Nimrandir @ Dec 23 2011, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WooHooo! when in doubt rip it out! cool.gif Congrats on the first Collab man! smokin take smile.gif

Peace! Rich...

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Dec 23 2011, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is praiseworthy Rich - No cigars, hahahahahah .. !!

laugh.gif Thanks Sin, I gotta kick the habit man. dry.gif
Sinisa Cekic
These days I will release the final mix guys, thanks for your patience !!! smile.gif
Nimrandir
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Dec 24 2011, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about a video lesson showing your licks!

Thank you smile.gif. I'd really like to do it, but first I'll need a lesson on how to make lessons biggrin.gif.
Sinisa Cekic
Final Video Mix guys wink.gif

Video and audio sync gave me some problems, due to the different conversions of your shots, but somehow managed to sort it out!
Overall I am delighted with your playing, but let me give you my feedback tomorrow! wink.gif

Nimrandir
Great playing everyone! smile.gif

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jan 9 2012, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Video and audio sync gave me some problems, due to the different conversions of your shots, but somehow managed to sort it out!

Oops, sorry, it must be me, forgot to post the youtube link smile.gif.

By the way, are my ears deceiving me or am I sounding even more infront of the beat than I normally do? tongue.gif
Sinisa Cekic
QUOTE (Nimrandir @ Jan 9 2012, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great playing everyone! smile.gif

Oops, sorry, it must be me, forgot to post the youtube link smile.gif.

By the way, are my ears deceiving me or am I sounding even more infront of the beat than I normally do? tongue.gif

Don't worry, everything is under control, you rock wink.gif !
AK Rich
Very cool Sin and good job man thanks!
Also great takes everyone you guys rock!! cool.gif
HungryForHeaven
I can only agree with the other guys. Thanks co-players (great job everyone), and thanks Sinisa for putting this together! smile.gif

H4H
Sinisa Cekic
Finally free to write my comment,Wohooo laugh.gif !

Well guys, as you know and as I indicated - Your takes are the right refreshment for my ears, bravo! Also I would like to give
some criticism, just in case that if you fly too high !!! So let's start ..

HungryForHeaven-

Why just so little? You run out of ideas? I expected the second round with development and an epilogue,on this way you remained incomplete - as a good movie with the cut ending,or something like that!

Technique: excellent - picking, bending, vibrato - everything is in place, the timing also, all for 10!

Criticism: You kept only one scale- Phrygian Dominant, where's the others?!? You threw a few short phrases trough three positions- on the same trace! You tried to be technically clean (and you did!) but you forgot on the power of poetry! Think about that, always!

Keep rocking ! wink.gif

Nimradir -

My God, this was a fantastic playing from the technical point of view. I was afraid that you will not take a break a bit!! But you did it...for a sec .! tongue.gif

Techique: superb - picking,tapping,bending, vibrato,tempo..did i miss something ?! 11!

Objections : You bought us with the technique, no doubt, but with the story .. hmm.. can we negotiate!?!
Would be much more pleasant maybe that you are played that diminished arpeggios in eights-as a kind of dynamic transition,on this way we have the impression of an excellent technical demonstrations,if you know what i mean! But then again, maybe it's just my subjective opinion,never mind! Great job !

Ak Rich -

Really good playing, maybe not as technically perfect as deliberately nice !

Technique: Tapping the single string is sometimes interesting If you know to make intervals of the certain scale, and you packaged it very well! : Good timing, also a good vibrato and bending!

Objections: The wrong order! In my humble opinion, the second part of the improvisation is supposed to be in the first place, and vice versa - the tension should grow slowly, and you give us a maximum at the very beginning!What do you think about?

Great work !

Quadrium-

You tried to give us an original trip, and partly you did it!

Techniques: You need to work in some elements to force the guitar to sounds as it should! Alternative picking and vibrato-focus on it! Your hands are not yet in a sync, and exercise make wonders wink.gif !

Objections: This was a big bite for you, but you managed to cope with the task in your own way, and therefore I congratulate ! Pentatonic scale is grateful for the many styles, but still attempt to expand your horizons to something a bit exotic -a combination of two or three such scales + a pentatonic = endless fun!

Keep practicing,good job wink.gif !

Well, I hope that you don't get mad at me if someone is injured with a criticism, but I like to be maximally realistic,heheeh!
Once again, I am grateful to you for participating and would like to go these days to a new music adventure!!!!!

Thanks guys,

Sinisa

ps:
Yooooour comments maybeee ?! biggrin.gif
AK Rich
Hey Sinisa!

Thanks alot for the critique , I completely understand what you mean when you say I got the order of the ideas I had backwards, instead of building slow and climaxing at the end I pretty much did the opposite of that, I will keep that in mind and work on that in the next collab smile.gif
I will never be upset with the critique I get from you on these collab or REC's .Your comments are important and helpfull and thats how I will take them so dont hold back boss, I'm a big boy wink.gif
I had fun with this collab and thank you for it and I am looking forward to the next one.

Peace! Rich...
Sinisa Cekic
Well I know that you are great musicians, and count on it that you aren't conceited (a lot) tongue.gif biggrin.gif !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.