Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bleez's Mentoring Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Cosmin Lupu
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Cosmin Lupu
Close, very very close, but still distinguishably shaky biggrin.gif It's a matter of a weee of pinch biggrin.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 14 2012, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Close, very very close, but still distinguishably shaky biggrin.gif It's a matter of a weee of pinch biggrin.gif

dang it! biggrin.gif

okay dude.... I guess its THAT time again ohmy.gif I went and recorded the voice..... you may want to prepare your ears for the 'occasional' unorthodox bend biggrin.gif

Cosmin Lupu
Mate! This is already taking good shape! The first part was good aside from those little tricky bends biggrin.gif Well, those little bastards are the nemesis of everyone around here, it seems! The first one was almost great, but the second one had a bit of a faulty timing. Let's focus on this first part, what say you? biggrin.gif We get it perfect and then move on to the next!
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 15 2012, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mate! This is already taking good shape! The first part was good aside from those little tricky bends biggrin.gif Well, those little bastards are the nemesis of everyone around here, it seems! The first one was almost great, but the second one had a bit of a faulty timing. Let's focus on this first part, what say you? biggrin.gif We get it perfect and then move on to the next!

yeah, I watched a few of the rec takes for the voice and it was kinda encouraging to see that those bends have tormented some of the other guys as well!
Im totally up for concentrating on the first part, sounds like a good plan smile.gif should I spend maybe the next 2-3 days trying to tighten up the first part and then let you see it?

oh yeah, thanks for your comments on the blues rec take biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Most definitely! Focus on it and watch out for EVERY detail biggrin.gif I'll be waiting wink.gif
bleez
hey Boss, it's 2 voices for the price of 1 biggrin.gif

I thought it would be cool to work on both lessons simultaneously and try to get both stage by stage.
So here's a take of both, I have a little catching up to do with voice2 as I only began learning it but Im confident I'll get those bends sooner rather than later. The voice 2 is such a cool-ass thing to play smile.gif Im digging those weird bends a lot, even though I dont nail them, they are still cool to play.

Cosmin Lupu
Hehehe biggrin.gif

Well, mate, for the Voice 1 - those bends are a bit quicker sad.gif pfff, these things are pretty difficult to reproduce, I know, but the only way you can really get them into your system, is to listen to the piece until you can sing it, literally smile.gif

And also, don't get rigid on the playing bro, in the second part it looks pretty stiffie, just because it's new tongue.gif But try to be as fluid as possible in the Voice 1.

It's tough, I know, but once you get these under you thumb, you'll have them FOR LIFE! biggrin.gif

Cosmin
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 22 2012, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hehehe biggrin.gif

Well, mate, for the Voice 1 - those bends are a bit quicker sad.gif

rolleyes.gif those damn hell ass bends!! I'll check my timing of them tonight and get them sorted smile.gif

dude, quick question, in terms of scales and stuff. All I know is the 5 minor pentatonic shapes, but I dont really know what I should do next to get a bit more 'musical'. I liked what you done with the house of the rising sun style lesson you made, I'd love to have the sort of musical knowledge to be able to do stuff like that. can you suggest something I could look at to get me started in that area?

thanks mate.
Cosmin Lupu
Thanks man! Well, you need to learn a thing or two about modes and HOW to use them smile.gif We could talk about that if ya'd like to biggrin.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 23 2012, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks man! Well, you need to learn a thing or two about modes and HOW to use them smile.gif We could talk about that if ya'd like to biggrin.gif

yeah totally, that would be cool smile.gif cheers dude.
Cosmin Lupu
Alright! Well, let's begin with a simple question biggrin.gif What do you think that modes really are? biggrin.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 24 2012, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you think that modes really are? biggrin.gif

unsure.gif a type of scale?
Cosmin Lupu
Mate, a mode is simply a permutation of the notes in a mother scale smile.gif

The most important thing you must know and understand, is that everything regarding modes is based on three things:

1) Learning to hear the differences between them - this involves ear training and knowing what scale degree is characteristic for each mode
2) Knowing where those notes are on the neck
3) Knowing how to combine notes which chords - that all goes down to understanding what is the actual effect of playing a certain note/ group of notes against a particular chord

You must know that the modes can be classified like this:

Major (the contain a major 3rd) - Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian

Minor (the contain a minor third) - Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian, Locrian

If we look at the major scale - the Ionian mode, as it is also called, we will notice the following structure:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 -> these are the scale degrees of the Ionian/ Natural major scale

From this point we tweak this formula to obtain the other modes wink.gif

Lydian -> 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian -> 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Dorian -> 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrigyan -> 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Aeolian -> 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian -> 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

By 'b' (flat) we understand that we raise that degree to which the 'b' is attached and by '#' we understand that we raise that degree to which the '#' is attached.

Are we good so far?

smile.gif

Cosmin
bleez
Its a bit complicated and I need to assimilate the info but I think we are good so far smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Well, please tell me what seems to be most difficult so that we can break it down if needed : )
bleez
actually dude, I think Im okay so far biggrin.gif Ive re-read it a few times.... Im good!
Cosmin Lupu
Alright! Now, tell me can we try the next little drill?

Suppose we have E major - the scale smile.gif Can you tell me what modes you can form from its 4th and 5th step and their notes? biggrin.gif And can you tell me the notes of E Dorian and it's parent scale?

Cosmin
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 27 2012, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright! Now, tell me can we try the next little drill?

Suppose we have E major - the scale smile.gif Can you tell me what modes you can form from its 4th and 5th step and their notes? biggrin.gif And can you tell me the notes of E Dorian and it's parent scale?

Cosmin

okay..... huh.gif
the 4th mode is Lydian so if the Emaj scale notes are - E F# G# A B C# D# E then the lydian mode within the Emaj would be - A B C# D# E F# G# A?
The 5th mode is the mixolydian and within Emaj it would be - B C# D# E F# G# A B ?

The second part Im a little unsure about. I dont understand how to get the notes of the E dorian without knowing their parent scale. If I know the parent scale I can get the notes of the mode or if I have the notes of the mode I can get the parent scale..... Im just not clear on how to do it if I have neither.
Cosmin Lupu
Hehe biggrin.gif Check this out:

You know that the Dorian mode belongs to the 2nd step of its parent scale, right? Whose major scale does E Dorian belong if we consider it to be the 2nd step? D major of course -> D E F# G A B C# D

Got it mate? biggrin.gif

Cosmin
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 28 2012, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got it mate? biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif LOL! yeah.... I should have seen that! totally get it now.
So from the first question, the lydian mode is an 'A lydian' and the mixolydian is 'B Mixolydian' because 'A' is the 4th step and B the fifth step in the EMaj scale.

This stuff is really cool, what's next boss????
biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Yess!!

Well, let's try another little exercise and then I'll ask you to take a look over the lesson notes I have done in the first part of this year for the v-chat series on modes!

Please write the structures of the seven modes for C (C Ionian, C Dorian, C Phrygian ....)
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 29 2012, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Yess!!

Please write the structures of the seven modes for C (C Ionian, C Dorian, C Phrygian ....)

biggrin.gif sweet!
I'll figure those structures out tonight smile.gif

in the meantime duder, I had another blast at 'you know what' cool.gif I 'think' I got a bit better timing with the quirky bends on the voice 1.
I also tagged on the first section of voice 2, just because Ive been playing it a fair bit so hopefully its beginning to flow a little better.

Cosmin Lupu
Hey man! Good work! On The Voice 1 - the bends are there, just a little bit more polishing and it's yours biggrin.gif I think that you may be out of tune a bit? On the Voice 2, you need more sustain on those bends and I've noticed that you are not using more fingers when you bend, to acquire this. How about taking a look over here:

Looking forward to your progress and the little drill with the modes so that we may move on wink.gif

Cosmin
bleez
cool, thanks for the vid. rolleyes.gif
dude, with those bends - what are you doing with your index finger?
you're bending the note with your middle finger and you have the ring finger on the same string behind it, but Im not sure what your index finger does, are you muting stuff?
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 29 2012, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool, thanks for the vid. rolleyes.gif
dude, with those bends - what are you doing with your index finger?
you're bending the note with your middle finger and you have the ring finger on the same string behind it, but Im not sure what your index finger does, are you muting stuff?

Precisely!! Muting stuff biggrin.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 29 2012, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ionian - cdefgab
Dorian - c d eb f g a bb - BbMaj
Phrygian - C Db Eb F G Ab Bb - AbMaj
Lydian - C D E F# G A B - Gmaj
Mixolydian - C D E F G A Bb - Fmaj
Aeolean - C D Eb F G Ab Bb - EbMaj
Locrian - C Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb - DbMaj

smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
K.O.rect!

Great going mate! How about trying the same exercise for B major let's say? biggrin.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 30 2012, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
K.O.rect!

Great going mate! How about trying the same exercise for B major let's say? biggrin.gif

no probs biggrin.gif

Ionian - B C# D# E F# G# A#

Dorian - B C# D E F# G# A- Amaj
Phrygian - B C D E F# G A - Gmaj
Lydian - B C# D# E# F# G# A# - F#Maj
Mixolydian - B C# D# E F# G# A - EMaj
Aeolian - B C# D E F# G A - DMaj
Locrian - B C D E F G A - CMaj

Cosmin Lupu
Goodie!! Now, I want you to take a look over the lesson notes for Ionian and try the exercises provided there. After that, let me know what your impressions are and I'll shoot some more Ionian drills your way wink.gif

Check it out here: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry564197
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 1 2012, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goodie!! Now, I want you to take a look over the lesson notes for Ionian and try the exercises provided there. After that, let me know what your impressions are and I'll shoot some more Ionian drills your way wink.gif

Check it out here: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry564197

cool, cheers dude. I'll take a look at that and see if I can get to grips with it smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Please do and let me know if ya understood everything, ok?

Cosmin
bleez
hey duder
quick update smile.gif been working on the modes, looking through your stuff as well as just playing around with them. I was experimenting with different modes over that song Im trying to write and came up with a real dark sounding chorus purely from messing about with the locrian mode, which I thought was pretty cool smile.gif

Ive been working on the collab, I had hoped to maybe play over a couple of sections but so far Ive just got the first part done using the dorian. I'll keep working on the next section incase I manage to get something cool sounding but I thought you could take a look at it so far because Im going for a few big bends here and, well, y'know..... rolleyes.gif

Cosmin Lupu
Hey mate! Locrian riff? I have to hear that biggrin.gif

Those bends are nasty and wide! The take is building up quite nicely, but, I'd suggest you to bend a bit more in pitch and vibrate wider. Let's see this take a bit improved, because I like the ideas but I'm sure you can play them better!
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 14 2012, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey mate! Locrian riff? I have to hear that biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif well, I was just playing the mode over the song around the 12th fret area and it sounded kinda evil so I tried to copy the same thing with chords and got this -
http://soundcloud.com/bleez666/prog3-11
Ive put in comments to give an idea where the chorus is etc.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 14 2012, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those bends are nasty and wide! The take is building up quite nicely, but, I'd suggest you to bend a bit more in pitch and vibrate wider. Let's see this take a bit improved, because I like the ideas but I'm sure you can play them better!

Thanks dude. yeah, Ive been practising those bends with a tuner so hopefully they are close to being in pitch but it's sometimes difficult for me to tell.
Ive been trying to add some vibrato to them but I tend to lose the pitch when I do but I'll keep trying to nail it better before the deadline. Its a really addictive backing to play around with smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Mate! The song sounds good as an ensemble, but Ive noticed one thing - the atmosphere changes are not underlined in the song as a whole - by that, I mean that the drums are too linear and thus, they drag the guitars after them. Try to think in more dynamic terms wink.gif

Thanks for the nice thoughts about the backing biggrin.gif Well, the harmonic basis is inspired from that darn song tongue.gif But check the dynamics out tongue.gif for some inspiration - and also, check out my latest Deftones lesson - I think I managed to build quite an atmosphere there
bleez
thanks dude smile.gif yeah the drums are something I'd look to re-do if the song turns out okay. I dont really have drum program as such but Im looking to get something like EZ Drummer soon.

your deftones lesson is very cool, it sounds much bigger than 2 guitars, great atmosphere.
I really like the lower tuned stuff, I tried playing with a C tuning but its a bit awkward with just the 1 guitar and switching between such a low tuning and then back up to standard. I really need another guitar biggrin.gif when I get a little better as a player Im gonna reward myself with a new axe!
Cosmin Lupu
Alright! Well, it's never enough to have one biggrin.gif I need a standard tuned PRS right now tongue.gif

Well anyway, how's the Voice 1 and 2 going and when can I see a second take for the collab? biggrin.gif

Cosmin
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 15 2012, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright! Well, it's never enough to have one biggrin.gif I need a standard tuned PRS right now tongue.gif

Well anyway, how's the Voice 1 and 2 going and when can I see a second take for the collab? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

LOL! cracking the whip biggrin.gif I'll get the collab recorded at the weekend, I was working on it last night and got some even cooler bends ohmy.gif they are probably wildly off pitch but they sound awesome from my ears!
Probably get the voices done at the weekend as well, hopefully they will be a step closer to awesome!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 15 2012, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL! cracking the whip biggrin.gif I'll get the collab recorded at the weekend, I was working on it last night and got some even cooler bends ohmy.gif they are probably wildly off pitch but they sound awesome from my ears!
Probably get the voices done at the weekend as well, hopefully they will be a step closer to awesome!

k-tschhhhh! laugh.gif Alright mate! Chop chop, then!! Any questions, maybe? smile.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 15 2012, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
k-tschhhhh! laugh.gif Alright mate! Chop chop, then!! Any questions, maybe? smile.gif

hey bro, here's a take of the collab. In the second section theres a big step and a half bend, but if Im not getting it when I record the final take I'll just play the note instead of bending into it. Im just trying it at the moment because I need the practise!
I have been trying to get some vibrato into the bends as well but not had too much success with it so far, its kinda difficult rolleyes.gif

Cosmin Lupu
Hey man! A lot improved wink.gif Better flow and correct pitches - also, how about trying to vibrate with the neck when playing that harmonic at 0.47? biggrin.gif Don't forget to send the takes 'till Tuesday wink.gif
bleez
cheers dude, its been a really enjoyable collab so far. Ive been trying stuff I usually wouldnt really think about.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 18 2012, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how about trying to vibrate with the neck when playing that harmonic at 0.47? biggrin.gif

sounds cool! would that be just shaking the whole guitar to get some vibrato?
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 18 2012, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cheers dude, its been a really enjoyable collab so far. Ive been trying stuff I usually wouldnt really think about.

sounds cool! would that be just shaking the whole guitar to get some vibrato?

biggrin.gif Great to hear biggrin.gif Well, it's done by pushing the body of the guitar towards your body and the neck away from your body in a constant shaky motion - not violent though!
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 18 2012, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
pushing the body of the guitar towards your body and the neck away from your body in a constant shaky motion - not violent though!

cool, I know what you mean. I'll give it a try, cheers.

so, here's a blast of the voice 1 - parts 1&2 and the first section of voice 2.

those full bends on the G string 9th fret are weird ( first one is at 0.40, then again at 0.45 ) Im never really sure about them, sometimes they sound like Ive got them, then I'll listen to it again and think it sounds out!
Cosmin Lupu
They are more like pre-bends somehow biggrin.gif Pff, mate it's a bit hard to describe all this in words as I've done this with my voice not my guitar - I transposed everything on guitar trying to imitate my voice as best I could and what you are learning now came up smile.gif

You are making good progress mate - you need to relax though. This whole line started from a song about sand in a woman's toes on the seaside ...Let your imagination go crazy and see if it helps smile.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 19 2012, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are more like pre-bends somehow biggrin.gif Pff, mate it's a bit hard to describe all this in words as I've done this with my voice not my guitar - I transposed everything on guitar trying to imitate my voice as best I could and what you are learning now came up smile.gif

You are making good progress mate - you need to relax though. This whole line started from a song about sand in a woman's toes on the seaside ...Let your imagination go crazy and see if it helps smile.gif

cool subject matter biggrin.gif they are some nice bends though, I didnt realise how subtle some of the notes were until I tried to replicate them. I'll try to chill with it a bit and hopefully nail it soon.

also, I'll have my take for the collab posted tomorrow night, didnt get a chance to do it today.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 19 2012, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool subject matter biggrin.gif they are some nice bends though, I didnt realise how subtle some of the notes were until I tried to replicate them. I'll try to chill with it a bit and hopefully nail it soon.

also, I'll have my take for the collab posted tomorrow night, didnt get a chance to do it today.

wink.gif Women are always a great source of inspiration biggrin.gif Looking forward to your take!
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 20 2012, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wink.gif Women are always a great source of inspiration biggrin.gif

HA! Indeed they are, but they dont always inspire such a nice sounding solo as you got with the voice..... or maybe thats just the women in my life LOL! biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 20 2012, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HA! Indeed they are, but they dont always inspire such a nice sounding solo as you got with the voice..... or maybe thats just the women in my life LOL! biggrin.gif

To become even more poetic - the women in my life hurt me so bad, that they managed to get my blood into the music smile.gif
bleez
hey boss smile.gif
Just wanted to check in as Ive not updated this thread for a bit. Ive really just had my head down and been practising loads tbh!
Still working on my bending but Ive been putting in extra practise on alt picking lately to try and increase speed. Its a slow process but Ive just been going through a bunch of picking exercises.

I also thought it would be cool to start learning some full songs so Ive been working through Ironman, its really only the solo which I need to concentrate on as I can play the riffs. I can play through the solo now at a slow tempo, Im quite a bit off the full speed so Im just playing it everyday and trying to speed it up. Its not that difficult to play as such but I lose the phrasing when I go too fast.
I wanted to play 'the spirit of radio' by rush but that intro..... damn its just too fast!

Ive also spent a little too much time on writing my own songs! Ive spent entire evenings recording and arranging a couple of songs when I probably should have been practising technique rolleyes.gif playing the bass on them as well which is fun!
I may be pestering you for tips on vocals as well soon unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.