Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mentoring?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Cosmin Lupu
derper
I'm just now discovering how and where these "mentoring threads" are taking place. Until now, I hadn't explored the "ask the intructor" forums...I really dig each and every instructor, so I never sifted through an instructor forum. I just asked questions on the Practice Room forum, or in lessons/collabs.

I'm still a little unclear on what this "mentoring" thing is, that's been going around. I really think it could help me, if done properly. For example, I've loved the lessons and collabs and discussions.....but it's time for me to get some more specific direction, and devise (and STICK to!!) a more strategic practice routine.

In my opinion, here are some of my "weak" points that I want to improve. I feel that I'm a fairly high level intermediate player-advanced (in some ways). But, my technical/theory chops are horrible. I've played since I was young, but with almost no direction or input from other players. GMC has helped a ton so far, but I'm back to my "I'm doing it MY way...." routine, which isn't as efficient. I need help!!

I want to improve on:

-Theory. But, I want to learn it in a way that makes sense to be. Book learning, or memorizing scales can be tough. For example, I started jamming on your Lydian collab. I looked up the Lydian scales provide, and immediately was able to play it as an (in my head) "A minor pentatonic" form with a few "flavor" notes!! I know it's a sloppy way to do it. BUT, learning the Lydian forms would be slow. Since I can already navigate it by ear and feel, it seems more appropriate for me to start seeing INTERVALS within the patterns I already use (mostly pentatonic shapes with "flavor"). That way I'm not memorizing all the modes, but seeing what builds them, which I believe will be better and faster in the long run. Especially with....

-Building chords!! My chord vocabulary is horrible for how long I've been playing. It's embarrassing in live situations, and often times I end up saying to myself...."oh, THAT'S a Gdim chord! I've played that in a latin jazz tune years ago", etc. I want to learn ALL of the moveable/common chords and know how they are built (intervals)!! I have books with this in it, but I don't learn it well reading off of paper. I need exercises, and a mentor to "shame" me into working hard!!

-Technique. I'm not bad, but I'm not a master! I need cleaner picking, better vibrato, and more precise bends! I need to learn cool metal riffs and chops. I need to learn tapping, sweeping and all the cool stuff I've avoided!!

-Reading Charts. I am horrible at it, but have actually worked off of very few charts in my life. I'd like to start with mostly jazz charts.

-Practice routine. Throughout all of this, I'd also like to settle into a more efficient practice routine. I've gotten WAY better with this over the years, but it's still all based on mostly my decisions and observations. I'd like to tune up my routine with some more professional input.

-Arpeggios. I just need to know more. I don't know many/any off top of my head.

I certainly don't expect overnight results. This is a lifelong journey. But I won't make it on my own. What do you think? I'm sure many instructors here are capable of helping, but I've worked with you a bit more than any others recently. Also, although you are a "different" player than myself, you seem to be very disciplined and well-rounded. I hope you may have time to help me start on this path, and share some of your tips, experiences and routines.

Thanks Cosmin!!
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Gabe biggrin.gif I am honored you decided to pick me tongue.gif

I will most definitely help you out, so let's start by asking you how much time are you able to dedicate to the guitar daily? smile.gif you seem to want the holy grail so that means you want to work hard too biggrin.gif

Check out my take in the Lydian collab: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=575178 I tried some simple phrases connected with the tricky lick. Some sort of dialogue as I have imagined it tongue.gif take a look

and I almost forgot: Click meeeeee!!

Let's rock my friend!

Cosmin

QUOTE (derper @ Mar 18 2012, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just now discovering how and where these "mentoring threads" are taking place. Until now, I hadn't explored the "ask the intructor" forums...I really dig each and every instructor, so I never sifted through an instructor forum. I just asked questions on the Practice Room forum, or in lessons/collabs.

I'm still a little unclear on what this "mentoring" thing is, that's been going around. I really think it could help me, if done properly. For example, I've loved the lessons and collabs and discussions.....but it's time for me to get some more specific direction, and devise (and STICK to!!) a more strategic practice routine.

In my opinion, here are some of my "weak" points that I want to improve. I feel that I'm a fairly high level intermediate player-advanced (in some ways). But, my technical/theory chops are horrible. I've played since I was young, but with almost no direction or input from other players. GMC has helped a ton so far, but I'm back to my "I'm doing it MY way...." routine, which isn't as efficient. I need help!!

I want to improve on:

-Theory. But, I want to learn it in a way that makes sense to be. Book learning, or memorizing scales can be tough. For example, I started jamming on your Lydian collab. I looked up the Lydian scales provide, and immediately was able to play it as an (in my head) "A minor pentatonic" form with a few "flavor" notes!! I know it's a sloppy way to do it. BUT, learning the Lydian forms would be slow. Since I can already navigate it by ear and feel, it seems more appropriate for me to start seeing INTERVALS within the patterns I already use (mostly pentatonic shapes with "flavor"). That way I'm not memorizing all the modes, but seeing what builds them, which I believe will be better and faster in the long run. Especially with....

-Building chords!! My chord vocabulary is horrible for how long I've been playing. It's embarrassing in live situations, and often times I end up saying to myself...."oh, THAT'S a Gdim chord! I've played that in a latin jazz tune years ago", etc. I want to learn ALL of the moveable/common chords and know how they are built (intervals)!! I have books with this in it, but I don't learn it well reading off of paper. I need exercises, and a mentor to "shame" me into working hard!!

-Technique. I'm not bad, but I'm not a master! I need cleaner picking, better vibrato, and more precise bends! I need to learn cool metal riffs and chops. I need to learn tapping, sweeping and all the cool stuff I've avoided!!

-Reading Charts. I am horrible at it, but have actually worked off of very few charts in my life. I'd like to start with mostly jazz charts.

-Practice routine. Throughout all of this, I'd also like to settle into a more efficient practice routine. I've gotten WAY better with this over the years, but it's still all based on mostly my decisions and observations. I'd like to tune up my routine with some more professional input.

-Arpeggios. I just need to know more. I don't know many/any off top of my head.

I certainly don't expect overnight results. This is a lifelong journey. But I won't make it on my own. What do you think? I'm sure many instructors here are capable of helping, but I've worked with you a bit more than any others recently. Also, although you are a "different" player than myself, you seem to be very disciplined and well-rounded. I hope you may have time to help me start on this path, and share some of your tips, experiences and routines.

Thanks Cosmin!!
derper
Most days (at least 5 of 7) I should be able to commit an hour to a dedicated practice routine. Thanks to my work, I'm usually able to play much more each day. I usually play EVERY day, and if I take a full day off on my "weekend", I always make sure to hit it the next day!!

Obviously, I'm trying to figure out how much time per day I can dedicate to a NEW practice routine, and I'll work on my own band material outside of that.

I've already given a brief outline of what I'd like to incorporate into a practice routine, but you may (and are encouraged to!) have other techniques you think I should work on as well. I'm here to learn!

I may put together a quick "getting to know me" video, and put it in "my thread".... I may be able to explain my strong/weak points a bit better over video, and with a guitar in my hand!!

Thanks Cosmin! Looking forward to getting started on this journey.... and remember, if I ever say I have a "weak spot", it's just a short form of saying "a strength I haven't yet spent enough time to develop"!! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.