Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timmy B's Mentoring Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Cosmin Lupu
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Timmy biggrin.gif this is your very own guitar mentoring thread, so, I thought we could start by telling me some thing about your musical background and knowledge (guitar and music oriented) plus a few of your favorite musicians/ bands. smile.gif

Cosmin
Timmy b

Hi Cosmin,
Ok, Ive been playing guitar for nearly 10 years now. unfrotunatly not as seriously and dedicated as i should have . ( a couple years i actually stopped playing) But ive been very serious about it again for the last year or so. which is great! I also played clarinet and saxaphone in the school band when i was younger ( unfortunatly not anymore) I also use FL studio for creating electronic styleed music)

I used to play with people/bands in the past but ive been traveling a lot ( currently living in Holland) the last couple years, so not as much anymore. Played a lot as a bass player too. Guitar was mainly as a rythym player, so my lead/improv skills are lacking. Also like to play fingerpicked nylonstring. bach pieces ect...

I loved 90s punk when i was a kid, discovered metallica/megadeth/pantera and metal and it all went from there.
But i love so much different styles i cant list it all. but pretty much all classic rock and metal. I also Love Iron Maiden, FNM Also band s like LIVE, RHCP, AIC, Soundgarden, Ratm. ( stuff from my youth) ect... Random stuff like john Butler trio, cat stevens, jack johnson. also the blues like SRV the three Kings ect.. Pretty much anything with kick ass guitar work!
I also have a love of classical music, particulary barouqe era lute stuff, and also spanish/flamenco style. And as a byproduct of my old profession, I have a wierd obsession with Trance music. So yeah, a wierd mix. its turning into a never ending mission to hear everything.

Ok Knowledge, I understand the concepts of -- Major Scales, Circle of 5ths, open/closed triads + stacking 3rds, Triad inversions, Arpegios, Good knoweldge of chords and their construction. I can read sheet music ok. have on ok knowledge of modes and their relation to chords ( part of my current learning sceduel) Have a reasonably trained ear. (can Transcribe music when needed)

Im currently working on my picking Techniques as their out of date. Alt picking and sweeps, legato ect. Phrasing/leadwork and improv are also getting worked on.
But the main thing im wanting to work on next/ acheive, is being able to play what i hearing in my mind more easily and have more feel and spontaniousness ( Is that even a word!?) in my playing, to also improve my writing and composing skills, and to just be a great all round player.

Wow, ive ranted on more than was necasarry i think. my appologies. Hope that answers all your questions and i didnt forget anything. Thanks for time, and hope to hear from you soon.

Tim Blaha

Cosmin Lupu
Hey man!

I don't think you're ranting at all smile.gif it's good to know all you told me and I would like to suggest that we start with ear training and phrasing as tis is mainly what you need to do to be bale to express yourself, IF you can use the other things you told me about, regarding theory and technique smile.gif

Can you show me something audio/ video of you playing?

Cosmin

QUOTE (Timmy b @ Mar 26 2012, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Cosmin,
Ok, Ive been playing guitar for nearly 10 years now. unfrotunatly not as seriously and dedicated as i should have . ( a couple years i actually stopped playing) But ive been very serious about it again for the last year or so. which is great! I also played clarinet and saxaphone in the school band when i was younger ( unfortunatly not anymore) I also use FL studio for creating electronic styleed music)

I used to play with people/bands in the past but ive been traveling a lot ( currently living in Holland) the last couple years, so not as much anymore. Played a lot as a bass player too. Guitar was mainly as a rythym player, so my lead/improv skills are lacking. Also like to play fingerpicked nylonstring. bach pieces ect...

I loved 90s punk when i was a kid, discovered metallica/megadeth/pantera and metal and it all went from there.
But i love so much different styles i cant list it all. but pretty much all classic rock and metal. I also Love Iron Maiden, FNM Also band s like LIVE, RHCP, AIC, Soundgarden, Ratm. ( stuff from my youth) ect... Random stuff like john Butler trio, cat stevens, jack johnson. also the blues like SRV the three Kings ect.. Pretty much anything with kick ass guitar work!
I also have a love of classical music, particulary barouqe era lute stuff, and also spanish/flamenco style. And as a byproduct of my old profession, I have a wierd obsession with Trance music. So yeah, a wierd mix. its turning into a never ending mission to hear everything.

Ok Knowledge, I understand the concepts of -- Major Scales, Circle of 5ths, open/closed triads + stacking 3rds, Triad inversions, Arpegios, Good knoweldge of chords and their construction. I can read sheet music ok. have on ok knowledge of modes and their relation to chords ( part of my current learning sceduel) Have a reasonably trained ear. (can Transcribe music when needed)

Im currently working on my picking Techniques as their out of date. Alt picking and sweeps, legato ect. Phrasing/leadwork and improv are also getting worked on.
But the main thing im wanting to work on next/ acheive, is being able to play what i hearing in my mind more easily and have more feel and spontaniousness ( Is that even a word!?) in my playing, to also improve my writing and composing skills, and to just be a great all round player.

Wow, ive ranted on more than was necasarry i think. my appologies. Hope that answers all your questions and i didnt forget anything. Thanks for time, and hope to hear from you soon.

Tim Blaha

Timmy b
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 28 2012, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey man!

I don't think you're ranting at all smile.gif it's good to know all you told me and I would like to suggest that we start with ear training and phrasing as tis is mainly what you need to do to be bale to express yourself, IF you can use the other things you told me about, regarding theory and technique smile.gif

Can you show me something audio/ video of you playing?

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,
I just figured out how this thread thing works! I didnt realise i'd gotten a message from you. My bad

I dont really have anything to show you playing wise, ill have to put something together. ( any suggestions?)
Im also figuring out how to post videos. Puting my stuff on the net was never really my thing.

So, a day or two and ill having something up for you.

Cheers
Tim
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Apr 4 2012, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Cosmin,
I just figured out how this thread thing works! I didnt realise i'd gotten a message from you. My bad

I dont really have anything to show you playing wise, ill have to put something together. ( any suggestions?)
Im also figuring out how to post videos. Puting my stuff on the net was never really my thing.

So, a day or two and ill having something up for you.

Cheers
Tim

Hey Tim! You can make a youtube account and post the videos here, with the 'Embed' option on youtube smile.gif

you can pick up a lesson from here at GMC if you'd like, maybe something having both lead and rhythm? Pick one which you would like very much so that it ll be fun to learn wink.gif and record it

I can recommend one if you'd like!

Cosmin

Timmy b
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 4 2012, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Tim! You can make a youtube account and post the videos here, with the 'Embed' option on youtube smile.gif

you can pick up a lesson from here at GMC if you'd like, maybe something having both lead and rhythm? Pick one which you would like very much so that it ll be fun to learn wink.gif and record it

I can recommend one if you'd like!

Cosmin

Sure! What would you recommend?
Cosmin Lupu
Alright man! How does this feel: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-rhythm-lesson/ it's got rhythm and a bit of lead here and there smile.gif if it's too difficult, please let me know!

Cosmin
Timmy b
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 5 2012, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright man! How does this feel: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-rhythm-lesson/ it's got rhythm and a bit of lead here and there smile.gif if it's too difficult, please let me know!

Cosmin

Sweet man! I'll do a take for you!

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Apr 5 2012, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sweet man! I'll do a take for you!

Tim

Great Tim! Looking forward to it wink.gif
Timmy b
Hey Cosmin

Im having a bit of trouble getting a recording done for you. Never really done this before so im having some issues
Im using a program called "Debut video capture" But it seems capturing sound and video at once is to much for the computer to handle all at once, As having issues with Latency and syncing and just cant get a desent take done. Doesnt seem to be the right way to go

Im using a HP laptop (couple years old), and a Line 6 ux1 usb interface, by the way

Do you have any advice on how to tackle this problem. Any software recomendations, techniques, ect...?
Its staring to get a bit frustrating!!

Cheers

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
Hey bro! I got somethin for ya! There's this nifty little video here which will show you to the good stuff! Check it out:

Timmy b
Ok, After an epic batle with technology, i've finnaly come out the winner!

So here's a take, the videos not synced that well, but will improve in the future.
The lesson wasn't too difficult, although gettining the "feel' was chalenging. will definetly need more work over time.
But you took me out of my "comfort zone" with this one, well done! smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCCuykhBj8

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Apr 9 2012, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, After an epic batle with technology, i've finnaly come out the winner!

So here's a take, the videos not synced that well, but will improve in the future.
The lesson wasn't too difficult, although gettining the "feel' was chalenging. will definetly need more work over time.
But you took me out of my "comfort zone" with this one, well done! smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCCuykhBj8

Tim

Wow biggrin.gif Very good mate! I think the execution was top notch, but you still have a bit more work to make it groove, it's a bit rigid, but WELL DONE! I will most definitely share this to put a little light on you if you'd like smile.gif Now, let's see, you told me you want to develop some chops and work on phrasing and ear training in order to be able to use the axe as an instrument of self expression.

I think your level is pretty high and I can let you tackle some difficult stuff, true?

I would suggest we focus on AP, legato and articulation - these are the most important and used in my opinion, so please let me know if this is ok for ya and we can rock!

Cosmin
Timmy b

Hi Cosmin

Glad you like it, but like you said the groove is lacking! You can definetly share it if you like. Im also gonna do some rec's of other lessons ive done, should i post it here, or onto the usual forums?

We can try some more difficult lessons for sure, though some limitations will exist. The AP, legato and articulation will slowly fix that though,so good idea with those. Also I have just stared on "bens land of legato" so guess that a good first step!

Anyways, what lessons do you have in mind for me to work on. Im keen to get started!

Tim

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Apr 10 2012, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Cosmin

Glad you like it, but like you said the groove is lacking! You can definetly share it if you like. Im also gonna do some rec's of other lessons ive done, should i post it here, or onto the usual forums?

We can try some more difficult lessons for sure, though some limitations will exist. The AP, legato and articulation will slowly fix that though,so good idea with those. Also I have just stared on "bens land of legato" so guess that a good first step!

Anyways, what lessons do you have in mind for me to work on. Im keen to get started!

Tim

hey man!

Here's what I have in mind for ya wink.gif another lesson implying groove so that you may hone the pulse and grooving in you:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/funk_l...saraceno_style/ this one has AP in it as well, so it'll work out on both directions wink.gif

For less intricate AP and if the above lesson feels nasty, we can try this one: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/ it's pretty basic, but it's a good warm up smile.gif

Ben's series is top notch - keep on with it and when you feel ready, send a vid my way wink.gif

For articulation, I would recommend starting out with this one: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey/

How bout these mate? Post everything here first and then we can take it in the REC zone where you will be in the ring, so to say biggrin.gif

Cosmin
Timmy b
Hey Cosmin

Sounds great! I'll get started on them right away!

I'll post some stuff for you soon!

Cheers
Tim

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 11 2012, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey man!

Here's what I have in mind for ya wink.gif another lesson implying groove so that you may hone the pulse and grooving in you:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/funk_l...saraceno_style/ this one has AP in it as well, so it'll work out on both directions wink.gif

For less intricate AP and if the above lesson feels nasty, we can try this one: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/ it's pretty basic, but it's a good warm up smile.gif

Ben's series is top notch - keep on with it and when you feel ready, send a vid my way wink.gif

For articulation, I would recommend starting out with this one: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey/

How bout these mate? Post everything here first and then we can take it in the REC zone where you will be in the ring, so to say biggrin.gif

Cosmin

Cosmin Lupu
Awesomeness mate smile.gif I'm here if you need a hand along the way smile.gif

cheers

Cosmin
Timmy b
Ok, Ive got one for ya!

http://youtu.be/wLMFQCYeBA8

Its the picking hand basics, ive done it before a few times and its easy one the surface, but after recording it a few flaws pop up in my playing. Nothing major i think, just needs more practicing i guess to tighten it up. I will pop it into my warm up folder.
Thought you could check it out though.

Also, Its quite interesting how different your sound is once its been recorded as opposed to what your ears actually percive.
Im staring to notice little flaws all over my playing ohmy.gif So definetly need to do more of this stuff

Also sorry about the guitar tone, it went a bit fuzzy when put into movie maker for some reason?

So enjoy, and ill get back to work

Cheers
Tim

Cosmin Lupu
Hey Tim! Looks good and sounds good - nice timing and it's tight. I especially like the fact that you are holding your pick parallel to the strings as to achieve a full bodied tone smile.gif

Let's see what's next!

Cosmin
Timmy b
Allright! Here we go!

Ive got a take on "Saraceno funk lesson" Unfortunatly its not quite spot on. I did this as a rough take before i hurt my pinkie.
Its got a couple little mistakes in there though.

http://youtu.be/ObqY5ZFUfPA

I took a few days off and started some light playing again today, tried to do a new take too, but just couldnt get one spot on.
Then i had the feeling in my pinkie again, so it seems its not quite finished healing itself yet sad.gif

So wondering what to do now. Im thinking of working on some less difficult things that dont involve the pinkie
Im going to finish memorizing my major scales to i can be more proficient with them when it comes to modes.
Also work on some theory behind chord progression and composition. bit of a weak spot there i think.
Do you have any sugestions?

Anyway, hope you like it mate.

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
Ahoy Tim! Great man - good timing and tightness! You could punch a bit of gain in that tone to make it a bit more present and aggressive, as well as being wider and certain on the vibrato and bends. Otherwise, it's very good!

We could start discussing a bit on the major scale, intervals, harmonizing, chord progressions and harmony/ melody relationships, how does that sound?

Cosmin
Timmy b
Hey Cosmin

Sounds great! I have general knoweldge in these areas , but it all hasnt "clicked together". to make a full picture.
Deefinetly keen to look into it more.

Also ill come back to saraceno lesson once this finger sorts itself out. Get it polished up! Its a really cool lesson!

Also, thanks for posting my video a little while ago in the forums. Somehow i only just found it today! huh.gif

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
You're welcome man smile.gif

Let's dive into things - so, can you tell me what you know about the major scale and intervals? I got a few exercises which will help memorize the notes of each major scale and work on your ear training and interval knowledge, but first let's see what you already know smile.gif

Cosmin
Timmy b
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 24 2012, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're welcome man smile.gif

Let's dive into things - so, can you tell me what you know about the major scale and intervals? I got a few exercises which will help memorize the notes of each major scale and work on your ear training and interval knowledge, but first let's see what you already know smile.gif

Cosmin

Ok, Major scale. I know there are 12 of them. (plus enharmonic ones i guess in relation to circle of fifths,eg.. C#/Db - F#/Gb - B/Cb)
Formula = 1234567 or wwhwwwh. I understand the degrees. 6th= Relative minor(aeolian) 2nd=Dorian ect... plus a good grasp on locations of paterns on the neck. Need to memorize the notes better i guess

Intervals, good understanding i guess. i know the old method of naming. eg perfect/diminished 5th, major/augmented 2nd. But prefer the simpler sytem of b2 b6 #4 ect. I know the importance of some of the intervals. eg thirds in relation to major/minor- 7ths in 7th Chords - 5th being the perfect 5th and all that.

Hmm , think thats about it. Hows that sound?

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
It sounds like we can already start discussing about modes laugh.gif it sounds like you know enough stuff to dive into the world of modes - would you like that?

I am running a v-chat series on modes and we can talk about these a lot - progressions and the relationship between harmony and melody.

What are your 5 fav songs? smile.gif Let's analyze their progressions and see what we can find biggrin.gif

Cosmin
Timmy b
Hi Cosmin, Sounds good!
Definetly will try to catch the chat

As for fav songs, thats too hard a question! smile.gif
I'll give you some songs i like from my "flavour of the month" stuff.

Iron Maiden - Wasted years
Dream theatre - Another Day
Faith no more - Everythings ruined
The Living End - West End Riot
Def Leppard - Hysteria

Hmm, Pretty wierd mix huh! tongue.gif

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
Alright Tim!

I like the first three myself biggrin.gif so this will be interesting. Let's start with the DT song:

Verse:

Am F/A Am G7sus4 G

F C Bb G7sus4 G

Am F/A Am G7sus4 G

F C Bb Am

Chorus:

Dm7 C/E F C

Dm7 C/E F G7sus4 G

Tell me, what conclusions would you draw regarding the following things:

- on what scales are the chord progressions based?
- can you sort out the verse and chorus vocal lines and see what notes are being used? biggrin.gif This will lead us to a discussion around the relationship between the harmonic context and the melodies smile.gif

Cosmin
Timmy b
Hey Cosmin
This a little tricky, but its good you're forcing me to do this!

Fiirstly im a little confused, as im not able to match the chords you gave me to the actual song? Maybe ive got a different version? Or maybe im just bad with hearing piano Chords tongue.gif not sure

Ok,based on the chords you gave me, I think the verse prog is based on the C major scale. vi-IV-V-V IV-I-?-V-V. vi-IV-V-V IV-I-?-vi. But the Bb doesnt fit? but the G7 fits in the c major scale.
It also fits in the F major scale too. iii-I-ii-?-I-IV-ii-? But now G major doesnt fit. But i assume the g7sus doesnt matter too much because of its missing 3rd?
but i was also thinking of minor keys/scale. but not exactly sure on them. your gonna have to help me with this.
also, which is the tonal base on slash chords?

The Chorus works out of the C major again. ii-I-IV-I.( I think)

From my own findings i found these bass notes in the verse G#,F#,E ,B,A, F# - G#,F#,E, B, A, G#
In the chorus im hearing C#,D#,E, B - C#,D#,E,F# iii- ii - I - vi-IV-ii iii- ii - I -vi-IV -iii Based on E major?
ii - iii - IV -vi ii - iii - IV-ii

Also the Bridge i heard B,A, G#,F#,E - also E maj - G, C, D,E,D,C, B, riff, F# modulation to Gmaj?
vi-IV- iii - ii - IV I - IV-V vi-V-IV-iii - vii

The verse vocal lines include the notes B-C#-D#-E-F#-G#. Fits into the B major scale. But also E major
The chorus vocals are the same notes
The sax solo are the same notes plus an A# making it a B major scale
This seems to tell me the vocal are in B major

Ok, that will do, you really got me thinking/confused me on this one! huh.gif
Maybe ive over thought about it?

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
No way man biggrin.gif it's SUPER AWESOME that you took things so deep smile.gif I'll come up with a detailed feedback tomorrow morning with the axe in hand, right now I want my pillow, badly smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Alright Tim, so it took me a little longer than I thought, but these drills will serve well! smile.gif

So for the verse, we are having the A minor and the F major scales - Bb belongs to the F major indeed and the G7 and G7 sus4 belong to Am scale. They combined it in such a way that it made sense smile.gif

Try to play the chords on an acoustic guitar ans strum them, it'll make sense once you sing over them biggrin.gif this is how I usually work in order to understand what's happening there. The slash chords belong to A minor (derived from C major of course)

I would first ask you to try simple positions for the chords in order to make them sounds with the vocal lines smile.gif I am playing almost everything in the first 6 positions.

BUT.... biggrin.gif one more thing - the original recording is in Ab minor, so if you're not tuned down biggrin.gif here's where all the confusion came from tongue.gif I forgot to mention this.

Tune to Eb standard and everything will make sense - just checked the vocal lines as well and all the notes from the lines belong to Ab minor (B major as you said)

I think you nailed it right man smile.gif no confusion!

I haven't thought about the bridge yet smile.gif should we tackle that one?

Cosmin

Timmy b
Hey Cosmin,
No probs with the delay. Thanks for a taking the time to help me!

The drop tuning makes sence now! Dont know how i missed that? huh.gif
i'll play around with the chords and struming to get a grasp of it better.

Guess we could have a look at the bridge section next, or we could move on to something else. Im pretty easy
Your call

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
Hey mate smile.gif let's finish this one first wink.gif I got a thing for finishing what I am beginning biggrin.gif

So here are the chords for the bridge:

C Bb Am
G7sus4 G F
G# C#/G# D# F
Fm D# C#
C7sus4 C7 Fm G

You chose a beautiful piece of music man, but with a lot of tricky harmonies biggrin.gif what can you discover here?

Cosmin
Timmy b
Hey Cosmin,

Ive been on the road again, so i havnt been able to do my homework smile.gif
Its a great song but damn tricky indeed!

Ok, here goes

1st bit
C Bb Am Seems to be based on same as earlier in the song( Aminor+ Fmajor) Although differnt order. also still not to sure about
G7sus4 G F how major and minor keys work. Did it switch to C major? with D minor ? need more work/explanation in this area.
The vocals seem to be based around the Cmajor though. starts on G (V) and keeps returning to C ? maybe

2nd bit
G# C#/G# D# F Seems to modulate to G# major here (or Ab major depending how you work) i find the B# and double# anoying
Fm D# C# notes in vocals D#,G#,F ,C#,C, D# Starts on 5th again. also Fm and F maj?

This bit Not sure how the C7 fits or the G? the vocals are on the same melody is as before, except on last "whoa" where
C7sus4 C7 Fm G the extra D is used. Is this another case of two keys like before? Fmajor? In its relative minor Dminor would explain
the extra D, also the C7.

So whats the answer?

Ok, ive racked my brain over this one way too long and i still dont quite "get it" all. Think we'll have to revist it again down the line
Maybe we do an easier one next biggrin.gif

Tim
Timmy b
Heya Cosmin

I was just reading back over the last post and realized that it wasnt posted the way i typed it, and for some reason it turned into a jumbled mess! My bad! So here's a here's a repost to make your life a little easier smile.gif

1st bit
C Bb Am
G7sus4 G F

Seems to be based on same as earlier in the song( Aminor+ Fmajor) Although differnt order. also still not to sure about
how major and minor keys work. Did it switch to C major? with D minor ? need more work/explanation in this area.
The vocals seem to be based around the Cmajor though. starts on G (V) and keeps returning to C ? maybe

2nd bit
G# C#/G# D# F

Seems to modulate to G# major here (or Ab major depending how you work) i find the B# and double# anoying
Fm D# C# notes in vocals D#,G#,F ,C#,C, D# Starts on 5th again. also Fm and F maj?

End bit
C7sus4 C7 Fm G

Not sure how the C7 fits or the G? the vocals are on the same melody is as before, except on last "whoa" where
the extra D is used. Is this another case of two keys like before? Fmajor? In its relative minor Dminor would explain
the extra D, also the C7.

Allright done! A little better

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
hey Tim! smile.gif thanks for the re-arrangement man!

This looks very good - I just checked everything and it seems legit man!

In the first part as you said the combo between C major and F major then modulating to that AWFUL G# major scale and toward the end they are in the key of F major (I took this because of the C7) and Fm is some sort of a pivoting note as it also appears in the context above, where the G# major scale is happening.

Man this was tricky indeed biggrin.gif what do you think, should we cool off with something easier? You choose the next out of the 5 you told me about wink.gif

How are you doing otherwise?

Cosmin
Timmy b
Hey man

Good to know i was on the right (ish) path. It was really Tricky, started to mess with my head a little! laugh.gif
Definetly wanna try something simpler to get the concepts more concrete.

Heres one I prepared earlier tongue.gif

Everythings Ruined - FNM

Intro
piano is tricky to name chords. Notes are D, G, C#, B , E. the notes fit the D Major Scale like next bit. Bass notes G and E. extra notes 1 - 2 semitones, nice dissonance and tension! hmm

Next bit
G,B,A Chords. Harmonix are E, D, C#, B, G, A notes the C# + G combo only fit D Major.

Verse
Bass runs on the F# here. piano plays F#,A,E,D,C#,B. Vocals are G#,A,C#, but also G.
So this drops it in both D maj and A maj. Or is the in F# min (from Amaj) and The G is anacidental?

Pre Chorus Chords F#,E, A, B,C Vocals are( i Think) E, F#, G, A, But the end bit (Bouncing little baby) Uses a C#. Biut hard to tell.
But I think the C# is another accidental and This bit fits in Gmaj/Emin? Which One? or is the C# accidental?

Chorus
Chords D, A. Piano does full run of D maj scale. Vocals use them too. So D Maj modulation Here I think

Bridge Bit
F#, G, A Chords. F#, A, B, E, C. Thinking it fits with the pre chorus. or intro key ?????

Ok, turns out this isnt as simple as i thought it was. still leaves some questions unanswered. dry.gif

Im wondering if maybe you can pick the next track of your own choosing. something straight forward enough to really get confident with this stuff. but my choices are cool too, in case youve preped them already smile.gif

As for me, Keeping myself busy with my digital music studies. Really frustrated not being able to play much guitar though,its a real struggle. But At least the weather has warmed up! biggrin.gif Also im looking into some exercises to work on my right hand teqnuiques. any sugestions?

Hope your keeping well too. Also , if you get sick of doin these drills or dont have the time. feel free to change it to a different direction anytime!

Cheers mate!

Cosmin Lupu
Hey mate smile.gif I actually love these drills as they get my mind working as well biggrin.gif

I will inspect your work with the axe in my hand this evening when I get home and I shall also send recommendations in the right hand workout directions wink.gif

Cosmin
Cosmin Lupu
Mate, I need a bit more time on this one, as I am not sure yet smile.gif I think it's trickier than the DT song laugh.gif or at least this is how it looks like to me. Will let you know after I dabble in it a bit more but in the mean time, so that we may not stall - here's a thing for both your right hand picking technique - Alternate picking that is wink.gif and some nice theoretical ideas.

I came up with this one after having to concoct something for the symphonic orchestra collaboration and it felt like it can be a great lesson for GMC as well - try it and let me know how it feels wink.gif

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Antoni...nter-Arpeggios/

Cosmin
Timmy b
Hey Cosmin,

All good, Whenever you figure it all out. And dont worry, there's no stalling. Im off Working in my digital music world, so im pretty busy with all that!
I love the lesson! Really like Vivaldi, but its too "busy" for my left hand. espesialy the pinkie. But i will analize the structure and chords though, looks interesting!

Good Luck With the track, catch you soon

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Tim smile.gif I don't necessarily want you to play it at that speed too soon smile.gif try to get it into your system and use it as a good warmup at lower speeds - it'll build up AP and left/ right hand coordination smile.gif

I'll be back about the Faith No More track wink.gif

Cosmin
Timmy b
Hi Cosmin, Hows it going?

I was was just wondering how you were going with that FNM track? All good if you have'nt had the time to get to it, your a damn busy man!
But im getting a little restless and was hoping to work on somemore theory stuff again. The Vivaldi piece is great, but i just cant play guitar in that way at all. Even at low speeds my pinkie just isnt comfortable doing it.
So what do you think? Can we do some more drills when your time allows it?

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Tim! Sure, I'll get back to ya today with the FNM and we can choose the next to start with tongue.gif it's the end of the month and things cram up in this period usually biggrin.gif gimme a few hrs and I'll post new ideas and assignments wink.gif

Cosmin
Cosmin Lupu
Tim...this one was a bit of a brain damage indeed laugh.gif

D major for the intro and the next bit - ye're right wink.gif

Ok, For the verse part - the F# belongs to D major and the G also so it's not accidental. The G goes over an E minor chord smile.gif which should be there, for that weird verse ending wink.gif

Now over the prechorus - I notice a combo of notes in the riff which dictate the F# blues pentatonic scale - the riff is built using the blue note as well - C in this case.

D major for the chorus biggrin.gif

The bridge fits with the pre-chorus indeed and it has the flavor of a Phrygian progression - F# Phrygian which has the parent scale - D major smile.gif

Sorry it took so long mate smile.gif now, let's pick an easier song and something for your fingers, alright?

Cosmin
Timmy b
Hey Cosmin,
Thanks for that mate, Didnt mean to rush you or anything.
This answers those missing bits for me! Good to see i'm generally on the right track! smile.gif

What song next then? Should i work one out of our original list, or have you got something in mind?
As for the fingers, hopefully should have some answers about whats wrong with them them this week. Got a specialist vist that should give me an answer. So maybe we skip using it till i have an answer on it?

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Tim! Well, you take care of that issue man, wouldn't wanna hear anything bad happened to ya.. sad.gif

In the mean time, let's see, how about an easier one - Hysteria maybe? smile.gif It's on your list, so let me know if it works for ya wink.gif

If you think you need any, I have developed some exercises in little movies, which can be found in the GMC database. They deal with injury recuperation, warm-up routines and such smile.gif Check them out here: http://www.youtube.com/user/gmcguitar?ob=0

They are Called Guitar Biomechanics and Extreme Warmup smile.gif

Cosmin

Timmy b
Hey Man,
Will def check out those vids, And yes, lets do hysteria. Apologies for the 80's ballad, I was having my 80's month at the time and this track just wouldnt get out of my head! tongue.gif

Ok here we go

Intro/Verse motif
Ok, based on the chords (maybe you can corect these names too smile.gif ) D add4 (no 5th) (D,F#,G) then Same chord with a G root(So is that Dadd4/G (no 5th) or Gmaj7 (no 3rd?) Than a Em add9 (E,B,F#,G) and back to the first chord
Vocals - D, B, E, A, F#, G So at the look of it a D Major fits But G major too

Pre chorus
Ok, based on the D, Dsus4, Cadd9, also A G6/B? (B,E,G,D) (chord in middle, couldnt quite catch it) and then finishes on C,G,D.
Vocals, D,G,E,D,B,A So I think G Major Fits here

Chorus
Straight forward Em, C, D chords Vocals F#,G,E,D,B,A, So G Major again

Solo
A,D,C# Chords Solo- E,F#,B,D,A,C# So this fits A Major and D Major too.

So to finish up, Pretty confident that most is in G Major. The Solo maybe the A major, as a 2 semitone key change is used sometimes.
So the Intro verse im not sure. Probably G major though.

Well, Whats the verdict then mate! look forward to it!

Cheers
Tim
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Tim!

The intro progression could be looked at as being a D Mixolidian progression so, G major is the parent scale tongue.gif

Everything is right - you can also look at the chorus progression as being an Aeolian progression (it starts on Em) I like spotting little modal progressions within progressions laugh.gif

I would go for D major on the solo, just for the easy transition between the D major and D mixolidian (simply playing C# instead of C) wink.gif

This one is easier for certain!

How are your hands man?

Cosmin

Timmy b
Hi Cosmin,
Welcome Back! How was Poland? Im planing a trip across poland in the summer! Pretty Excited! laugh.gif

Thanks for the feedback. good to see im generaly on the right track with this stuff. Im not really good at and/or really understand entirely modal progressions. I'll have to work on them some more.

Same old story with the hand. No doctor can give me a definite diagnosis of whats wrong. I've got another appointment with a specialist in a couple weeks when im back in Germany. Hopefully he can figure it out. The theory now is that, its nothing really wrong with the hand, but more that there are problems further up my arm or in my back. Im progressivly getting more and more back pain latley, and we're thinking it could be a pinched or caught nerve causing all my troubles. A C8 nerve is the guess? Hope we can confirm something and start working on fixing it.
Will let you know when i know more, Start on some guitar again hopefully! That'll be sweet! smile.gif

Anyways, Whats next on the agenda? Do the last song on the list, or move to something else?

Tim
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Tim! Man, Poland was short and fast biggrin.gif if I may say so. The thing is, I went there with business and I didn't get to enjoy the scenery too much. But hey, I managed to create a 'next time' opportunity, which will allow me to walk around and see what's what over there.

In the mean time, it's getting busy over here as the festivals are coming and I got gigging with both bands biggrin.gif Mate, I wish you all the best with the hand issue and hope it's nothing too serious.

I noticed you are in 85-90% there with the theoretical stuff, which is very good! As for the modal progressions - don't worry! The more you get through them, the easier it will be to spot them and act accordingly wink.gif I say, let's finish what we started and then move on to other things - what's next on our list? wink.gif

Cosmin
Timmy b
Hi Cosmin!
Its always good to create "excuses" to do return vists to cool places! I do it all the time tongue.gif Ive heard nothing but good things about Poland!
As for the hand, I have no worry over it at all. This is one of those things that will work out, Just needs time, patience and a bit of common sense to not make it worse. With the right advice and time it will be good again. If anything its been a blessing, as its forced me to pursue another musical direction i've always wanted to, but alway postponed!

Enough about me, how about some work smile.gif

Ok, these guys are the "hometown heroes" of my youth. they always played the summer festivals and really put on a great show.

West End Riot

Intro
the lead melody is in the G major scale CHords Em and B in the intro, then switchs to E,B,C,G power chords.
Theres a bit of an Eminor lick at the end of each melody line and the track starts on a Eminor so im thinkin this bits in the E minor Key

Verse
Starts on the Em Chord, Bass runs the E,B,C,G notes. Vocals follow the B,A,G,F,A. Not really a definite conclusion here, but im leaning towards the E minor Key again as before. The Track seems to lean that way.

PreChorus
A# and B chords in this short bit, vocals do the same thing. Sounds like a B7 chord ringing out right before the next bit.
Not really sure how this fits. If anything, it make a nice transition and adds tension/build to the chorus.

Chorus. Part 1
E,B,C,G power chords Then a D and Eb (Octaves or D and D with a flat 2nd added) Vocals follow esentially the same melody as the intro. I think the E minor key fits again. Except the Eb which is an accidental i guess.

Chorus Part 2
Bm, Em, C, G Chords Vocals are again within the E minor scale. Section ends with Am, Bm, C, D and Em chords also a nice E minor Pentatonic Lick. Again im thinking E minor key

Bridge
First bit is G and C chords Vocal, Roughly G, A B
2nd bit is A and D chords Vocals A, B, D
Not sure with these, is the Whole thing switched to G major as the relative major, or is it G major, then A major?
The bit rounds of into the solo with E,B,C,D Chords and i think a B7 again Back to E Minor here?

Solo
Bass Runs, G,F,Eb,D and then C,Eb,D,G, finishs on D and Eb, then does the E,B,C,G main bit again.
Guitar seems to be playing in G Minor. except for that stray F# near the start.
Im thinking a switch to the G minor key here

Breakdown
This bit is just a variation on the main verse theme in E Minor.
also G, A, Em chord trown in at the end.

Ok done! Damn that was heaps!
Seems pretty straight forward except for a couple of odd bits. E minor seems to be the Key.
I guess with a lot of rock arrangments, the "proper" formulas aren't always followed or even Known about. Giving us strange combinations!

Ok, 5 songs done! Where to next? The ball's in your court smile.gif

Tim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.