Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manuh's Road To Rock
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Gabriel Leopardi
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Manuh! Welcome to your personal thread for Gab's Army! smile.gif

Let me post the message that you sent me to have all your information here:

"i checked out the threads from your army members and its really awesome. i hope i could be a part of your army, cause at the moment i am writing new songs for our first album and you are the mentor i need!

i've cool riff ideas, but often i suck at the arrangement. for example i've written an ass kicking chorus, but than the other parts sounds like shit. AND(!) i like how you are playing on stage. there is always 110% rock if im watching cirse live videos.
that's what i need. i hope i can join!!!

i will improve my skills! but sometimes i dont know where i have to start. time for a change!"

Let's start! Please share some videos of you playing and also some songs from your band!

Gab.-
manuh
Hey, i've uploaded our second gig, We played this gig last sunday and only 10 people were there biggrin.gif and the audio quality is not good. im the guitarist who is standing right. the guy with the white les paul wink.gif

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Here is the song we have recorded last november:

i try to record a video of myself in the evening. but at first these are the only videos i have smile.gif

Gabriel Leopardi
Hey mate! Those are really cool videos! Our bands should play together any time! I like your style! I think that with some more work on the songs as you said you should be a bigger band in the future! I have a question, do you have a daw where you could record you playing and arranging the songs?

I would like you to work on this lesson, not only because of the technique, I think that we could analyse how I arranged this lesson. I think that we could do the same with some of my band's songs as well as with other bands.

This is the lesson:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pop-Punk-Lesson/

What do you think? smile.gif
manuh
Thanks Gab! It is one of my dreams to play with cirse man. i hope that the dream comes true in the future! wink.gif

And i think it's a good idea to work on your lesson. i like the style and it has nice chord ideas!
let us analyse the song! smile.gif

i've recorded itwith my line6 toneport this day smile.gif

ps: the audio track is a little bit behind the video track :/ windows movie player sucks! wink.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Yeah mate! Maybe some day we could play together! That's a good take! The palm muting section should be a bit tighter but the overall is great!

The two most interesting parts to check here are the intro and the chorus. What I wanted to show you on this one is how I made a simple pop punk progression sound more interesting adding a melody around the chords. My approach to this is just sing a repetitive melody while I play the chords and then try to play the chords and the melody arranged to play both at the same time.

This is the melody that I first thought:

Click to view attachment

and this is the progression: (D - A - Bm - G)

I would like that you record the take again concentrating on the timing of the palm muting and post the take at the REC program. The second thing that I would like you to do is to compose an idea based on the concept that I used on the intro of this lesson.

Finally I will ask you to post here 5 songs that you love and that are influence in your playing and band.

manuh
Hey, thank you!

I've posted a new video in the REC board: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry577446

This is the melody i created:
Click to view attachment

After that i've made a chord progression.
The progression is: D5 - C#/D5 - A5 - G#/A5 (i'm not sure if the names of the slash chords are correctly tongue.gif)

how it looks like:
Click to view attachment

and how it sounds like:
Click to view attachment
in the second part of this idea i've made another rhythm part.

and after that, five videos which are influence my playing and my band:

that's it! smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! Great job here!

The new take for the lesson is much better! The palm muting sound very tight now. The first idea isn't 100% tight with the drums but this is nothing too serious. I'll grade your take at the thread. smile.gif

Now let's work on this one! This lesson is a bit faster so we can use it to train your rhythms but also to learn another way to arrange some punk chords.

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Skate-Punk/

I like the idea that you recorded! I noticed that you understood the concept. You can start using it in your songs!

Would you like to post some songs that you have in progress and I can give some feedback or we can work on them here?

manuh
hey, i'm latish. we'd three gigs the last two weaks and i had no time to record the lesson.
but now i'm ready wink.gif

you can find the lesson in the REC program:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0

and i've uploaded an idea for our new song.
it's a heavier song than the rest, but i like the riff after the short intro.

it's drop d tuning smile.gif what do you think?
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (manuh @ Apr 18 2012, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey, i'm latish. we'd three gigs the last two weaks and i had no time to record the lesson.
but now i'm ready wink.gif

you can find the lesson in the REC program:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0

and i've uploaded an idea for our new song.
it's a heavier song than the rest, but i like the riff after the short intro.

it's drop d tuning smile.gif what do you think?

Hi mate! I graded and commented your take at the REC thread. Check it out!

The idea for the album is fantastic! I love it! What's your idea? Do you want to do an instrumental song or something with lyrics?

manuh
thank you man!

it's a song for our band with lyrics. we worked on the song last thursday and it's nearly finish.
i'm going to record it tomorrow with my handy at the rehearsal.

finally we've got a video from our last gig last saturday.

i would like to get some feedback smile.gif

ah and before i forget. only 2 solo's of our songs are finished. can you help me to build a solo idea around a chord progression? this would be great smile.gif

Gabriel Leopardi
Hey mate! You guys sound really tight! Congrats! That musical section really needs some more work and also the singer could define a bit more the colour/use of her voice but you are on the right track!

Please post the backing for the solo that you want to work here and we will go for it! wink.gif
manuh
I've recorded the backing inclusive a drumsample from ezdrummer.
i've also recorded the basic idea which i play live. but every solo in our songs sounds like this biggrin.gif like typical pentatonic solos!

the chord progression: Em - Em - C5 (with open b and e string) - D5 (with open b and e string)

what do you think about it? how do you start to write a solo? smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (manuh @ May 5 2012, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've recorded the backing inclusive a drumsample from ezdrummer.
i've also recorded the basic idea which i play live. but every solo in our songs sounds like this biggrin.gif like typical pentatonic solos!

the chord progression: Em - Em - C5 (with open b and e string) - D5 (with open b and e string)

what do you think about it? how do you start to write a solo? smile.gif

Hi man! Your solo sound good because every note works perfect over the chord that is sounding. I think that some outstanding licks are lacking here, you know, those licks that we have listened lots of times but that with some little variation and played in the correct place everybody will love it. I compose most of my solos from improvisations but it took sometime to meto find the solo style that fits well over Cirse's songs. One thing that really helped me was to learn many rocker licks from guys that I think that play rock in a very clever way. One exapmle that comes to mind is Steve Stevens from Billy Idol. Yes, the style is different but check his album "Devil Playground", check the guitars, the solos and you will now what I'm talking about. We have to learn some rocker lessons, songs and licks, you have to make your guitar licks vocabulary wider.

this is the album... check the solos!

manuh
yeah, asskicking songs. i think this help a lot. i have another question, i like those riffs like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ocbZ1bAdqE and misery business from paramore. how do you write your basic riffs? are you jamming a lot and waiting for the perfect moment? i've finished my job apprenticeship now and i can start to conentrate on improving my guitar skills!

i have basic theory skills.
your skate punk lesson was a hard lesson for me, but i think i can master a little harder lesson too. suggestions? smile.gif

things i want to learn:
faster alternate picking
sweeping
break out of pentatonic scales (using modes ..)
fingerpicking (im very bad in it)
hybrid picking

cheers
manuh smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Manuh!

How I write riffs? I have basically two modalities. The most common is just jamming over a drum loop for some time until I get one that I really like. In this modality I just choose one key and start trying ideas. The other way that I use is starting from a riff that I like and repeat it doing variations for some time until I get something fresh and original. I use this second way mostly for the lessons "In the style of..." and also when I want to compose a song in a specific style. Learning and playing many riffs from songs that you like is very important.

Regarding working on technique,,, here I will suggest you some lessons to start working on those techniques. Let me know if the level is ok.

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-lesson/

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Acoust...icking-Rhythms/

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Chicke...dness-Beginner/

manuh
hey!

i think i can master the lessons.. but the sweeping lesson need some hard work :)but i try it!

my account requires in 10 days..i've currently no money to extend it. but i hope at the end of june or july im back.
i've downloaded the guitar pro tabs and now i start to practice hard.

when I come back i show you my results. i give everything i have to rock your socks off!

much thanks gabriel!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (manuh @ May 18 2012, 03:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey!

i think i can master the lessons.. but the sweeping lesson need some hard work :)but i try it!

my account requires in 10 days..i've currently no money to extend it. but i hope at the end of june or july im back.
i've downloaded the guitar pro tabs and now i start to practice hard.

when I come back i show you my results. i give everything i have to rock your socks off!

much thanks gabriel!

Ok mate! Keep on practicing until then! I will be waiting for you here. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.