Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amp Heads And Cabs
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
JesseJ
Hi everybody at GMC smile.gif

I Have a Mesa Boogie mini rectifier and a mesa 2x12 cab . And I was wondering how it would sound if I were to play an orange tiny terror head through my mesa cab ? I checked and the tiny terror has a 8ohm out which matches my mesa cab . I have heard some people say that it sounds much better when you run a head through a cab of the same company . So does anybody hear Rub Heads and Cabs of different brands ?
Gabriel Leopardi
Does your cab include Celestion V30 speakers?

Mudbone
It doesn't matter if the cab is by the same company. In fact, many manufacturers use cabs that are almost an exact copy of the Marshall 1960 cab. All that matters is the quality of the construction and the quality of the speakers. The Mesa cab you have now is top notch, you'll be hard pressed to find a better 212 cab.
Nihilist1
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 9 2012, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't matter if the cab is by the same company. In fact, many manufacturers use cabs that are almost an exact copy of the Marshall 1960 cab. All that matters is the quality of the construction and the quality of the speakers. The Mesa cab you have now is top notch, you'll be hard pressed to find a better 212 cab.

+1

Especially when it comes to 2x12's. If you use a 2x12 for example an open back makes a WORLD of difference in bass depth and tonal characteristics. It adds a lot more 'headroom' that you otherwise would not have. That, wood, and quality speakers are the only things I would worry about in a cab of that size.
Todd Simpson
MESA 2x12 cabs are pretty killer on their own and the ORANGE TINY TERROR is also pretty awesome. It's a custom combination but a Match made in Heaven smile.gif

Todd
SpaseMoonkey
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 9 2012, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree to this as well. I run a Mesa head on a Marshall 1960s cab, I also have it mixed with GT12T-75 and V30s. I have no issues with it all other than I am glad I tossed the 2 V30s in the cab helped my tone a ton.
JesseJ
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 9 2012, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does your cab include Celestion V30 speakers?

Yup smile.gif You hit the nail on the head !
Sensible Jones
Can't add much more than everyone else has already mentioned. Mixing Heads and Cabs is not an issue. For example, I have an old '67 Selmer which I was running through the original 2x12 Cab (Fully enclosed) and it always sounded 'muddy' so I took the back off the cab to help. This ended up making it sound a little too 'thin' so I ended up cutting a new, undersized back for it to just act as a Baffle Board and this evened it out nicely, for larger places I use an extra 2x12 Closed Back Laney Cab which seems to be a great pairing.
biggrin.gif
JesseJ
Awesome you guys are such a big a help !! Thanks for all your input. All my questions got answered smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.