Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ibanez Rg350mdx
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
Pages: 1, 2
The Uncreator
Wiki link
Andrew Cockburn
Nice - I'm itching to pick up an Ibanez of one sort or another, really like the idea of a Jem, but ...
stratman33
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 10 2007, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've noticed that when alot of people make a thread about wanting to buy a new guitar, the Ibanez RG Series is brought up, and actually this specific model as well. so here is a in-depth review of it, as opposed to me just saying "I love it so much", here is why....

Weapon: Electric Guitar
Make: Ibanez
Model: RG350DX / RG350MDX
Playing Style: Metal, Blues, Rock N' Roll, Classical
Price: $399-$499 (varies on where you buy it)
Sound: Well lets just say this guitar is a VERY versatile piece of machinery, With the standard Infinity S3 and S4's in it, i can get a very Bluesy sound, a great Metal sound for sick ass riffage, an EXCELLENT clean tone, and anything else you can think of this guitar can do it. It works well with any amps, ive used it on Marshall's, Hartke's, Crate's, Fender's, and Line 6 Amps and it sounds great on all of them, it even works well with low tunings, the lowest ive gone one it is B Standard, and it still sounds Godly. If you like a guitar that can give you a wide variety of tones, and do an excellent job on all of them, here it is baby smile.gif

Feel: Great Great Great!!! i love the way this feels, it has a very fast neck and superb fret access, when i bought this guitar i was actually looking for the JEM 7VH, But since my local music store hasnt had one in 2 years, i picked this baby up, and WOW, i was like "man this is $1000 less and it feels just as great!!" , to me it feels and plays like the "Affordable JEM". I also love this guitar so much because it doesnt require those abstract alien like movements ive had to make to sweep on some other guitars, its very comfortable for all techniques, legato, tapping, sweeping, and 8 Finger Tapping as well.

Overall Impression: A Superb and affordable weapon that will give you what you need and never fail, from Metal Riffage to a down to earth clean and bluesy tone, this baby will give it to you, plus it looks beautiful.

Alternative Weapon: Actually i have yet to find a guitar in this price range that is even close to this, this guitar for me was an alternative to the JEM, And although ive probably only had about 5 hours behind a JEM, I find this guitar to suit me just as well, but if you can afford the JEM , Get it! smile.gif

Hopefully this gives you a bit more insight into the RG Series!

Thats the exact guitar im looking at getting! Great in-depth review.
The Uncreator
Glad you like it! its a great guitar and well worth the buy!

Hope the review helped!
VinceG
This was actually one of my choices when I was buying a guitar. It was either this or fender 60th anniversarry. Well I loved both but I have to go for the twangs of the fenders. I might get this one as a next weapon.
The Uncreator
Its is indeed a worthy weapon, its about a universe of difference between the fenders though! (atleast to me) smile.gif
FretDancer69
Uncreator, i am planing to buy an ibanez RG370DXGP1 which i think is the same as these ones you mentioned, ive never had an ibanez before so i wanted you to check it out and tell me what you think about it.

Here is the link: http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG370DXGP1

I still dont think im getting it soon, Probably until my birthday which is like 3 months sad.gif or maybe on christmas sad.gifsad.gif.

But anyways, please check it out and tell me what you think. Thanks
The Uncreator
Yes its the same, same neck, body, pickups, bridge, and frets and fretboard.

The only difference is the paintjob, they should play EXACTLY the same. smile.gif
FretDancer69
ok. thanks alot man.
sb81
I love my RG350... got an "exclusive" model from Music123 black with a black pickguard. Neck is very flat, very easy to do barre cords on.
The Uncreator
Yeah, isnt the black with black pickguard limited to only like few hundered models?

Either way i know it isnt even sold anymore, so hold on to it!
FretDancer69
what about the bridge of the guitar? can you tell me more about it please. thanks.
The Uncreator
I know some people really dont like the Edge Pro III, But the only downside is that you have to cut the ball end off of the string when you put new ones on, and every oncein awhile it MIGHT slip out, i say for me it happens...i dont know, once a year maybe.

Other than that, it works and performs great, almost no pressure is needed to Dive or do any other tricks with it, and it keeps your strings in tune for along time. Sure, its not as good as the EDGE Pro, the only difference bewteen those two is string changing (Having to cut the ball end off...)

I rate the bridge a 99.9%, the other 0.01% is that one time when the string slid out, all i had to was put it back in, tighten it a bit more than the last, and WA-LAH!! Hasnt done it since then, one year ago. smile.gif
sb81
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 13 2007, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, isnt the black with black pickguard limited to only like few hundered models?

Either way i know it isnt even sold anymore, so hold on to it!

Not sure how many were made, but I bought it at music123.com... it was on a closeout so I got it for $270 to boot tongue.gif
FretDancer69
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 15 2007, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know some people really dont like the Edge Pro III, But the only downside is that you have to cut the ball end off of the string when you put new ones on, and every oncein awhile it MIGHT slip out, i say for me it happens...i dont know, once a year maybe.

Other than that, it works and performs great, almost no pressure is needed to Dive or do any other tricks with it, and it keeps your strings in tune for along time. Sure, its not as good as the EDGE Pro, the only difference bewteen those two is string changing (Having to cut the ball end off...)

I rate the bridge a 99.9%, the other 0.01% is that one time when the string slid out, all i had to was put it back in, tighten it a bit more than the last, and WA-LAH!! Hasnt done it since then, one year ago. smile.gif

and is it quick to put the string again? would it take alot of time to put it back if the string slides during a gig? unsure.gif mellow.gif
The Uncreator
Once you get string changin down, once youve developed a routine that works for you, it doesn take long. A complete restring and retuning takes me about 15 minutes, although my uncle can do his in like 5 minutes.

If only one string breaks, it takes about 1 minute to change it, assuming you have spares on hand, since the strings are held in tune by a balance between bridge and string tension, when one breaks it will cause the rest of the strings to be raised in pitch, and its only noticaebale if the Low E Breaks really, sa when you replace the string, you might have to lower the pitch with the fine tuners on the bridge, takes about 20 seconds to do.

Hoep this helps smile.gif
JOhn
iv been thinking about getting this guitar as my seconds, would it be worth it?
The Uncreator
I would say so, and i would second, thrid, fourth, and fifth it as well.

It plays as good as any prestige ive played, at half the price. the RG350 could be sold for $1500 and i would still buy it.
lespaulrocker
the uncreator is right i have this guitar and i love it
The Uncreator
Thats right smile.gif
JOhn
thanks for the info i should be getting this guitar at the end of term if i do well in school smile.gif
The Uncreator
Then keep them grades up!!
Kevin98497
wait a min, the edge 3 is the same way as the floyd rose one, gotta cut the ball off, no big deal! its not like u arent gona use a plyer anyway
AIB234
Can you tell us some more about the pickups?

I know the guitar has the Infinity pickups that you mentioned, but what does that mean? I know that there are two humbuckers and then a single coil in the middle, but that's it.
sb81
Pickups are pretty good, and it has a 5 way selector switch.

Bridge Pickup is good for lead and picks up pinch harmonics nicely.

Middle settings are nice for clean guitar, neck pickups have a real heavy sound, the last setting is almost "muddy"

I get pretty good clean, crunch rock, twang, metal from the pickups through my Line6 gear. Only thing that seems lacking is blues, but maybe it's just me.
The Uncreator
I got a pretty good blues tone actually, But most of it comes through my amp i think, i got a tad bit of overdrive and i use either just the neck or just the bridge, neck give me a smooth bluesy tone, and the bridge gives me a bit dirtier one smile.gif

Its more proficient in Metal i would say, it sounds good under high gain smile.gif
The Uncreator
Just for the record, i added "Cons" to the review, since i didnt cover them smile.gif
Owen
Ah, I've heard the Edge Pro III bridge is a real pain.

Does it keep in tune fine with excessive use of the whammy?
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Owen @ Jul 12 2007, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have it on my Jem, works great for me (hot weather throws it a little but what you gonna do?). ALl things being equal it stays in tune really well with very aggrssive whammying.
ibanezkiller
Thats funny i was at a store and i played ... its a little chunk of heaven and im getting it Aug 15TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Uncreator
QUOTE (Owen @ Jul 12 2007, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, once its in tune it stays there, And when i "Abuse" my whammy bar, which means whenever i play a Steve Vai song to its fullest, it might fall like 1/4 of a whole step out of pitch on one string, and even then, i just turn the fine tuners about 90-180 degress and all is well.

The only time it will fall out of tune is when a string breaks that is either E A D or G, since when the string breaks more tension is put on the other strings, if B Or the High E Breaks, since they dont hold up a large portion of the bridge, there isnt to much of a change.
AIB234
After having this guitar for a week or so now, I have another pro to add: the jumbo frets.

I love them because it forces you to stay relaxed and not kill your hand pushing down on the frets or you'll put the strings out of tune.
lost-jgs
gotta say ive been enjoying my rg370dx

hated changing the strings on it
failed at switching to 11 gauge but it was also my 1st time changing strings on a floyd rose style bridge
went back to regular 9s

rg series is great , but i might be trading mine in for a sz720 since i dont use the whammy anyway
mattacuk
Get Down! I always wanted to know more about this model and now i know - thanks! biggrin.gif
The Uncreator
Im glad you all like this guitar as much as i do, and yes, the jumbo frets kick ass.
Sergeant_Ant
i just bought this guitar smile.gif i love it, sounds great, its low and fast, i cant get enough of it, only con is changins strings, tuning the bridge, and for me i dont like the input being down on the bottom cuz im always scared im gonna damage the input jack
Pavel
2 days ago i was changing strings on JEM. Took me 1 hour straight to restring it and it doesn't go out of tune! smile.gif So it's just a matter of practice! After you restring it 15 times it won't be a problem any more.
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 28 2007, 06:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 days ago i was changing strings on JEM. Took me 1 hour straight to restring it and it doesn't go out of tune! smile.gif So it's just a matter of practice! After you restring it 15 times it won't be a problem any more.

Sounds like fun - can't wait to see how long my first restring will take laugh.gif
The Uncreator
I must say this, it goes alot easier if you change strings one at a time, well, only as long as there the same gauge. if you change them one at a time, start with the high e, it works best for me, takes me 15 minutes to restring a retune it.
jacmoe
WooHoo! laugh.gif

I just picked up my RG350DX today! tongue.gif

I was planning on getting a SAS32, but the feel of this guitar got me hooked on it.
Jumbo frets and an easy to play neck with both twang and tone.
Well, I'm sold! biggrin.gif

I am totally flying now!
I find it quite easy to get pinch harmonics - and my fingers just got a lot faster.. laugh.gif

As an added bonus, I saved $61,54 compared to the SAS32. wink.gif

This guitar is snappy! biggrin.gif
Trond Vold
Great review smile.gif

Edit: Oops, noticed it was 1 year old! .. but it's still a great review smile.gif
Pablo Vazquez
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jun 22 2008, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review smile.gif

Edit: Oops, noticed it was 1 year old! .. but it's still a great review smile.gif

+1! Great review across the years!
superize
This is a great rewiev and i might buy one of these when the time comes to buy a new guitar
Lian Gerbino
it´s a great axe!!!! is not very expensive ....
thx for the review!
jacmoe
If you don't have much money and you want the best guitar for the best price, RG350 cannot be beat! Hail Ibanez! laugh.gif
The Uncreator
This is definitely one of the best guitars for the price, And since then Ibanez has dropped the price considerably (I pad a lot more when it first came out laugh.gif ), Its well worth the price and even more so when you see how easy it is to play, Its an extremely good guitar, Stays in tune all the time, sounds great, and is just phenomenal, very versatile as well smile.gif
superize
Now i really want to buy this guitar but i am not sure yet if i should buy a new guitar..... What should i do laugh.gif laugh.gif

Paul Coutts
I use this guitar on EVERYTHING I do and that ranges from punk to ska to country to blues to metal, all over the spectrum, and it is a fantastic guitar. I added a little correction on your wiki article saying that THIS GUITAR IS ONLY AS GOOD AS YOU SET IT UP TO BE. You have to know what your doing with a Floyd Rose, etc... in order for it to play at it's best.
Cheers
snackajacks
yeah totally , the only reason I didn't but it is that I could get a second hand rg550 for the
same price but now im looking to buy that yellow rg350
The Uncreator
Weird to see this old thing back up, I still have this thing. Unbelievable guitar for the price. Been awhile since I did anything crazy on it, I used to have it tuned to Drop B for almost a year or so, now its back to good ol' E Standard.

I'd also like to add this guitar lends itself extremely well to customization.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.