Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bone Nut Vs Plastic Nut
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Cosmin Lupu
My PRS Mike Mushok FINALLY arrived back home after going through a general setup at the luthier/ guitar tech.

At my friend and band mate's advice, I asked the tech to install a bone nut instead of the plastic nut that was initially found on the guitar. In the mean time I have read a lot of reviews and it seems that the sound is significantly improved by that little nut. Incredible huh?

It seems that if the nut is made out of bone, not only are the strings less prone to cut through it but as I said above, the sound is better, having more clarity and fullness. I am excited to try a recording with the guitar and compare it with the recording I did last year with it for the PRS demo.

Have you guys ever had any experience in this particular issue? Were you able to feel/ tell any difference?

Cosmin
vonhotch
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 3 2012, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My PRS Mike Mushok FINALLY arrived back home after going through a general setup at the luthier/ guitar tech.

At my friend and band mate's advice, I asked the tech to install a bone nut instead of the plastic nut that was initially found on the guitar. In the mean time I have read a lot of reviews and it seems that the sound is significantly improved by that little nut. Incredible huh?

It seems that if the nut is made out of bone, not only are the strings less prone to cut through it but as I said above, the sound is better, having more clarity and fullness. I am excited to try a recording with the guitar and compare it with the recording I did last year with it for the PRS demo.

Have you guys ever had any experience in this particular issue? Were you able to feel/ tell any difference?

Cosmin

I have read about the tone differences between bone and other materials I have never used one myself, I'll be curious to see if you can see/hear a difference. I like to read about things like this as I try to build a guitar now and then, and sometimes I think "what's better" for things like this is just what you prefer, or have gotten use to.
Sensible Jones
I've installed a few Bone nuts, you can notice the difference. As bone is more 'dense' than plastic it transfers a better vibration through the neck to add to the natural resonance of the guitar. This is also why Brass ones are used too!!
biggrin.gif
flamen
i think my strat has a bone nut.. don't even know. I hope it does tongue.gif

anyway, all i know is, the bone nut will probs keep the guitar in tune better than the plastic as there will be less friction or something. not sure though! I think the best kind of nut is the roller nut though. could be wrong.
derper
I believe that my Parker Nitefly has a graphite nut, and I absolutely love that guitar in every way.

Though I don't encourage people to go overboard or "overthink" it, I have personally experienced several "tone upgrades" over the years and I am now a firm believer that each individual should go on a "tone-quest" and try and find a setup that channels their individuality as a player.

For me, putting a gibson 335 pickup in my parker/getting into tube amps/getting a few choice, botique pedals/finding the right v-pick have all been crucial tone-upgrades, and each really wasn't THAT expensive.

So what I'm saying is....everyone that can, should explore upgrades like a bone-/nut, and more. You never know what LITTLE thing could make a LOT of difference in your playing!! biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Indeed, exploring and trying stuff that seems insignificant at first glance can lead to great results - it's just like Todd said about placing a TS 808 in front of Mesa Boogie or Engl and making it sounds way better! The screamer actually makes the sound shinier and more compact - I can literally feel it in my hands - the Mesa is an amp which is not particularly friendly when soloing and the TS 808 makes things a lot easier tongue.gif
thefireball
I never knew bone nuts existed. tongue.gif
Marcus Siepen
Actually I don't even know what nuts I have on my Gibsons, I never changed them so they are the original ones that Gibson uses, whatever that might be. I also have heard a lot about bone, plastic or graphit nuts, but to be honest I never saw a need to mess with mine, I like the way my guitars sound so I don't see why I should change anything.
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (flamen @ Sep 4 2012, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think my strat has a bone nut.. don't even know. I hope it does tongue.gif

anyway, all i know is, the bone nut will probs keep the guitar in tune better than the plastic as there will be less friction or something. not sure though! I think the best kind of nut is the roller nut though. could be wrong.

Standard Strat will be a plastic one. wink.gif

Roller Nuts are good, but only when used with Locking Tuners!
smile.gif

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 5 2012, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the way my guitars sound so I don't see why I should change anything.

Great advice Marcus!! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
biggrin.gif
Marcus Siepen
Exactly Jones. After all changing a nut is not something like changing a pickup, I can't change the nut myself, I would have to give my guitars to the custom shop, wait... doesn't sound tempting. But I am curious about Cosmins opinion about his new nut.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 5 2012, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly Jones. After all changing a nut is not something like changing a pickup, I can't change the nut myself, I would have to give my guitars to the custom shop, wait... doesn't sound tempting. But I am curious about Cosmins opinion about his new nut.

Cosmin likes it a lot biggrin.gif Honestly speaking, there is a slight difference in the depth of the lower registers - it's more clear somehow.

Of course, I must experiment more and see what is there to observe!
Marcus Siepen
Hmmm now you made me curious, after all my Gibson Customshop is only 20 minutes away from where I live... but maybe I should find out first what kind of nuts Gibson is uing anyway wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 6 2012, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm now you made me curious, after all my Gibson Customshop is only 20 minutes away from where I live... but maybe I should find out first what kind of nuts Gibson is uing anyway wink.gif

I think it might be graphite, now that I come to think about my band mate's Les Paul smile.gif
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 6 2012, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends on how your guitar is Marcus. If it's less than 10 (ish) years old it's fitted with a nut made from 'Corian'.

For replacement I can recommend Tusq nuts, similar to bone but synthetic!
biggrin.gif
Marcus Siepen
Corian??? Never heard of that ^^ well, some of my Les Pauls are older, some are within this 10 years, I guess I will just ask Gibson wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 6 2012, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Corian??? Never heard of that ^^ well, some of my Les Pauls are older, some are within this 10 years, I guess I will just ask Gibson wink.gif

Hmmm, never heard about Corian myself - it sounds like a GREAT name for a band though biggrin.gif
Marcus Siepen
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 7 2012, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, never heard about Corian myself - it sounds like a GREAT name for a band though biggrin.gif

Hehe, true, it doesn't sound bad ^^ If those nuts sound as good we should give them a try
Sensible Jones
From Wiki:-
Corian is the brand name for a solid surface material created by DuPont. It is composed of acrylic polymer and alumina trihydrate (ATH). Corian can be thermoformed by heating it to 300 °F (150 °C), allowing unique shapes to be created. Its primary use is in kitchen countertops, bathroom vanity tops, and wall cladding in showers.

I do remember it being mentioned in a review of a Les Paul when they first started using it!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
PosterBoy
I've a really nice japanese Martin D 42 clone, which is my 'beater' acoustic guitar, I had a bone nut and saddle put on it and you could definitely tell the difference.

On electrics I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the material of a decently cut nut, though I'm sure the sustain would be better with bone than plastic.
zoom
Talking about nuts I use just play an acoustic and the amount of strings I broke. If I didn't change strings before a gig then I was going to brake a string ever time and always on the bridge. The worst I ever did was 3 strings. I tried every type of string and got my guitar looked at and nothing worked. I think it came down to playing to hard and also because I was the lead singer I didn't pay enough attention to my playing. Now I don't sing much and when I play acoustic I'm freaking out not to break a string. So Annoying. I wanted to try bone and graphite nuts but never have. Mine is was and still is plastic. Current acoustic guitars Yamaha LSX36C and Ovation Standard Balladeer.
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (zoom @ Sep 7 2012, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I didn't change strings before a gig then I was going to brake a string ever time and always on the bridge.

Current acoustic guitars Yamaha LSX36C and Ovation Standard Balladeer.

Check the edges on the Bridge, make sure they're nicely rounded and not sharp. Then check the String Grooves the same way, any sharpish edge will create a pressure point on the string and gradually cause it to break at that point!

Nice pair of guitars! I have a Balladeer also and it's never broken a string in anger!! This is quite surprising really as it's had a hard life and been bashed about a bit!!
biggrin.gif
zoom
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 7 2012, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check the edges on the Bridge, make sure they're nicely rounded and not sharp. Then check the String Grooves the same way, any sharpish edge will create a pressure point on the string and gradually cause it to break at that point!

Nice pair of guitars! I have a Balladeer also and it's never broken a string in anger!! This is quite surprising really as it's had a hard life and been bashed about a bit!!
biggrin.gif

I did check that out (sharp edges) but really I seemed to break strings on any guitar. So it must have been my strumming technique.
SpaseMoonkey
I had a Gibson LP not to far back but far enough! laugh.gif

I could never keep the g-string in tune. I could stretch the string all day long still would go out. I took it to a friend of mine who is a luthier. He worked on the nut and it still did it for me. So he told me the only way to fix it was either use graphite or get a new nut which he recommended a bone nut.

He claimed that it would increase sustain, keep the strings in tune longer/better, and also that bends wouldn't cut out as fast because of how smooth they are made.

I used the graphite trick till I traded it for a better guitar tho.
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (zoom @ Sep 7 2012, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did check that out (sharp edges) but really I seemed to break strings on any guitar. So it must have been my strumming technique.

Ah, fair enough! I guess we should call you 'Lead hand' instead of 'Leadbelly', eh??
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Guys, I am really happy - I have compared the feeling of my bone nut with the same model today at the dealer, having the plastic nut. Less sustain indeed and less depth indeed!
derper
Such a small, "insignificant", and rather inexpensive upgrade can make quite a difference!

I know that many (and some GREAT players) lean towards the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra.... yet your story is one of many reasons that I encourage players to explore gear upgrades within their budget/means. When you get that tone that vibrates with your particular style, and you just connect to the tone, the end result is pure magic. Unfortunately, in most cases, that magic costs $$$$$. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 7 2012, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys, I am really happy - I have compared the feeling of my bone nut with the same model today at the dealer, having the plastic nut. Less sustain indeed and less depth indeed!

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 8 2012, 06:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Such a small, "insignificant", and rather inexpensive upgrade can make quite a difference!

I know that many (and some GREAT players) lean towards the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra.... yet your story is one of many reasons that I encourage players to explore gear upgrades within their budget/means. When you get that tone that vibrates with your particular style, and you just connect to the tone, the end result is pure magic. Unfortunately, in most cases, that magic costs $$$$$. tongue.gif

Thank you mate! Well, I have a friend that uses a Russian made device, which he operates with a little piece of paper and some crayons - DON'T ask me how laugh.gif and he uses it as a power amp biggrin.gif

He also modded a VERY OLD and CRAPPY guitar which still looks crappy but has the EXACT tone of a telecaster laugh.gif

So, yes, sometimes, magic can be achieved without that much $$$ biggrin.gif
Marcus Siepen
Now I am REALLY getting curious about bone nuts...
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 8 2012, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I am REALLY getting curious about bone nuts...

Marcus will be trying bone nuts and going Musashi style, after reading Gorin No Sho in the airplane on the way towards USA! biggrin.gif
AK Rich
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 3 2012, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've installed a few Bone nuts, you can notice the difference. As bone is more 'dense' than plastic it transfers a better vibration through the neck to add to the natural resonance of the guitar. This is also why Brass ones are used too!!
biggrin.gif

Would an Ivory nut have similar characteristics as a bone nut I wonder?
Cosmin Lupu
I've also heard about tusq nuts - I HOPE they are not made out of ivory, as I would be very much against killing elephants for having their tusks on my guitar... sad.gif
wish to shred
this may be dumb but how do the steel locking nuts of floyd roses compare? i imaginge they would transfer most of the sound through the neck.
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Sep 10 2012, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would an Ivory nut have similar characteristics as a bone nut I wonder?

They do indeed, in fact very early Guitars/Lutes etc had Ivory ones.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 10 2012, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've also heard about tusq nuts - I HOPE they are not made out of ivory, as I would be very much against killing elephants for having their tusks on my guitar... sad.gif

No they're not actually Ivory, it's a composite material that is hard like Bone or Ivory and has the same kind of properties.
smile.gif
Fear not, no living Tusq animals were harmed in the making of these nuts!!

QUOTE (wish to shred @ Sep 10 2012, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this may be dumb but how do the steel locking nuts of floyd roses compare? i imaginge they would transfer most of the sound through the neck.

Not dumb at all and a very valid question! They do transfer a lot of resonance through the neck, BUT because the bridge end is free floating it loses at that end.
The idea of these replacements is to help increase tone and sustain therefore they're meant for fixed bridge guitars.
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.