Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early 2000s College Rock Collab
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Cosmin Lupu
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Cosmin Lupu
Hey guys! It looks like our friend, Guitarrero's suggestion has inspired me to start a nostalgic collab based on the sound of the punk influenced bands contributing to the nice soundtracks of the early 2000s college comedies, such as the famous 'American Pie' biggrin.gif

Well then, here we go:

Tempo: 90 BPM

Key: E major

Material format: wav. or mp3 (one track containing both the backing track and your lead part and one track containing ONLY your lead part without any reverb/ wah/ delay or other effects, aside from distortion is it is the case)

Deadline: No later than September, 25th

So, GMC biggrin.gif Are you ready for a big dose of energy??!! We will discuss on the take possibilities in the video chat session happening this Thursday (September 6th)

LET'S ROCK THEN!

Cosmin
Marcus Siepen
The backing track sounds great! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Thank you Marcus!
Sensible Jones
I'll give it a go Cosmin!!
smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Great Neil! biggrin.gif
Saddlefall
Your backing tracks are always brilliant Cosmin. I hear a solo in my head, so I might wanna this one aswell biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Thank you mate, welcome onboard! biggrin.gif
Gitarrero
Since I inspired you, I should submit the first take laugh.gif

With a special guest...just for Grace.

Here we go!

Cosmin Lupu
Very authentic! biggrin.gif Thank you Christian, oh, provider of inspirational ideas tongue.gif
Cosmin Lupu
How are your takes brewing gentlemen? wink.gif
Grace
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 8 2012, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since I inspired you, I should submit the first take laugh.gif

With a special guest...just for Grace.

Here we go!

Wait...is that..BARNEY???!!!! biggrin.gif so cute!! <3
Cosmin Lupu
Grace smile.gif I think you should join us too wink.gif
Gitarrero
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 19 2012, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Grace smile.gif I think you should join us too wink.gif

For sure!

Grace, I guess Barney also wants you to join us biggrin.gif
Grace
Oh goodness you want me to solo??? X_X......that would take forever lol

Barney, I love you! biggrin.gif adorable
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Grace @ Sep 19 2012, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh goodness you want me to solo??? X_X......that would take forever lol

Barney, I love you! biggrin.gif adorable

C'mon Barney wants you to give it a try as well tongue.gif
Grace
Guuuhhhh I'll give it a try......just for Barney wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Goodeh! biggrin.gif
del-4fr53e3
Very cool backing track, Cosmin smile.gif Hope you get some more takers wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Sep 20 2012, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very cool backing track, Cosmin smile.gif Hope you get some more takers wink.gif

Thanks Sol, but why not yourself? smile.gif
Grace
So as embarrassing as this is, I am ONLY posting it for Barney, since he/she won't be able to tell if it's good or not....tongue.gif

Enjoy.

http://soundcloud.com/get-7-1/01-early-2000s-college-rock

Click to view attachment
Gitarrero
This is a great take, Grace!

Barney likes it wink.gif And I like it too!
Grace
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 23 2012, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a great take, Grace!

Barney likes it wink.gif And I like it too!

laugh.gif Thank you smile.gif yours is great!
Sensible Jones
Will post mine tomorrow mate!
biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Excellent! Thank you gentlemen! And Grace, your take is very good! Nothing to be shy about! biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know that the deadline is tomorrow! biggrin.gif Since my take is done, expect the final mix on Wednesday tongue.gif

Cheerios!

Cosmin
Nether
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 24 2012, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know that the deadline is tomorrow! biggrin.gif Since my take is done, expect the final mix on Wednesday tongue.gif

Cheerios!

Cosmin

Here is my take. It's been very hard, but finally i got a take that i liked... sort of tongue.gif

With Backingtrack
http://soundcloud.com/jorge-fern-ndez/early-2000-collab

Without Bt
http://soundcloud.com/jorge-fern-ndez/early-2000-collab-wo-backing
Sensible Jones
Here's mine Cosmin, I really enjoyed actually 'composing' it rather than just improvising. It's not perfect but the best take I could manage due to time!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Grace
Cool stuff! I can't wait to hear Cosmin's!! biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
The take entries are officially over at midnight! And then....we'll have the final mix biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 24 2012, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's mine Cosmin, I really enjoyed actually 'composing' it rather than just improvising. It's not perfect but the best take I could manage due to time!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks Neil! It's always great to write music, man! You should make a habit out of it biggrin.gif The lines are very good - they have that bit of drama which I could see when this sort of music was mixed with a scene where 'she told him she will go to study in another city and they would better break up' sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif.
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 25 2012, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Neil! It's always great to write music, man! You should make a habit out of it biggrin.gif

It is, i always used to enjoy that part of things but it's having the time to just shut myself away and work on things that's the problem these days. Unfortunately I have quite a busy life and not a lot of time to myself/

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 25 2012, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The lines are very good - they have that bit of drama which I could see when this sort of music was mixed with a scene where 'she told him she will go to study in another city and they would better break up' sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif.

I was happy when I wrote these lines, now I'm sad she's going away to study too!!
sad.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 25 2012, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is, i always used to enjoy that part of things but it's having the time to just shut myself away and work on things that's the problem these days. Unfortunately I have quite a busy life and not a lot of time to myself/

I was happy when I wrote these lines, now I'm sad she's going away to study too!!
sad.gif

Oooh, didn't wanna upset ya mate sad.gif tongue.gif Well, my take is ready and I will post the whole thing later on today biggrin.gif Stay tuned boys and girls!
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 26 2012, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oooh, didn't wanna upset ya mate sad.gif tongue.gif Well, my take is ready and I will post the whole thing later on today biggrin.gif Stay tuned boys and girls!

I'm sure I'll be fine in a while!!
wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
....aaand here it is biggrin.gif The moment we've all been waiting for wink.gif

Lady and gentlemen, thank you very much for your participation on this one! All the takes have a good fresh spark and I found nice parts which fit together quite well, I'd say!

In the order of appearance:

Sensible Jones - mate, I have to say this: Polish your writing skills more and more as in this take there were some very coherent lines which I am certain that could've been even more developed, if as you said yourself, they would've received a bit more time wink.gif
It can't go anywhere but in the right direction!

Grace - congratulations on your first collab missie!! biggrin.gif Nice fresh lines on the chorus, which I have selected and there were also some good ideas that i have spotted in the verse part. My suggestion is to keep writing smile.gif Experience will build itself only if you allow it to, by writing and playing. I am here to support if you'd like to work on lead playing as well wink.gif

Cosmin - YOU! YOU hurried that bend there! laugh.gif

Nether - Mate, there were some nice lines there as well, but please pay attention on having the guitar tuned, on the bending - as there were some spots where you were a bit under the tone and also, the more you will work on writing lead lines in collabs, the more coherent you will be. There were certain moments when the lines were not flowing in a certain direction - you probably were thinking 'Where should I put my hand now?' That's not the way smile.gif Listen to what your mind tells you - When you join a collab, play the track without having the guitar in your hands and hum the melodies you hear in your head - then transpose them on the guitar smile.gif The result will be great, because it's YOU there biggrin.gif

PS: There was a very inspired bend which I liked a lot there biggrin.gif

Gitarrero - EPIC ending! Straight from the 'American Pie' movies tongue.gif My friend, aside from THAT RIFF laugh.gif we all know about, you have made a name for yourself out of the fact that you always come up with good endings in my collab - am I right? biggrin.gif

Congratulations to everyone and...what should we have for next week's upcoming collab? Let's hear some suggestions - what style would you guys like to play?

Cosmin
Ben Higgins
This is a beautiful sounding collab, what do you think Jim ?? smile.gif

(Not meant in the sarcastic way of Bruce in the movie though !!)

Fantastic playing by everybody !!! Really impressed.. brilliant tones as well on every take biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 27 2012, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nether

Yes, I heard that - just perfect !
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 27 2012, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a beautiful sounding collab, what do you think Jim ?? smile.gif

(Not meant in the sarcastic way of Bruce in the movie though !!)

Fantastic playing by everybody !!! Really impressed.. brilliant tones as well on every take biggrin.gif

Yes, I heard that - just perfect !

Thank you Ben! biggrin.gif So I am not the only one hearing the bend tongue.gif If I knew you would listen to it, I could've bet my money on the fact that you heard it too cool.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 27 2012, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you Ben! biggrin.gif So I am not the only one hearing the bend tongue.gif If I knew you would listen to it, I could've bet my money on the fact that you heard it too cool.gif

It sounded like one of those amazing moments that just happen naturally and you go 'Wow, did I do that ??'

Nether can tell us if that was the case ! smile.gif
Nether
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 27 2012, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nether - Mate, there were some nice lines there as well, but please pay attention on having the guitar tuned, on the bending - as there were some spots where you were a bit under the tone and also, the more you will work on writing lead lines in collabs, the more coherent you will be. There were certain moments when the lines were not flowing in a certain direction - you probably were thinking 'Where should I put my hand now?' That's not the way smile.gif Listen to what your mind tells you - When you join a collab, play the track without having the guitar in your hands and hum the melodies you hear in your head - then transpose them on the guitar smile.gif The result will be great, because it's YOU there biggrin.gif

Thank you for the tips Cosmin, i'll try to follow them the next time. I'm almost sure that i tuned the guitar before playing, but as i did a lot of takes some string might have go out of tune. I'll try what you said about thinking the melody before, i've been improving my ear training so i might be able to do it.
I've a lot to learn but i think that doing these kind of things helped a lot. At least it's very funny, and hearing the final result it's great.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 27 2012, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It sounded like one of those amazing moments that just happen naturally and you go 'Wow, did I do that ??'

Nether can tell us if that was the case ! smile.gif

Hahaha i don't know which bending are you talking about.

Almost every thing is improvised so it's probably good luck, except the prebend-release at 0:35. I did that in one take and then I keep doing it in every take, and as I wasn't very inspired i ended doing it a lot of times laugh.gif

Sensible Jones
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 27 2012, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sensible Jones - mate, I have to say this: Polish your writing skills more and more as in this take there were some very coherent lines which I am certain that could've been even more developed, if as you said yourself, they would've received a bit more time wink.gif
It can't go anywhere but in the right direction!

Congratulations to everyone and...what should we have for next week's upcoming collab? Let's hear some suggestions - what style would you guys like to play?

Cosmin

Thanks for the kind words mate!! Much appreciated!
Congrats to everyone else and also to you for such a great mix!!
biggrin.gif

PS. I also noticed Nether's bend and also YOUR rushed one!!!
wink.gif

PPS. I've come to terms with her going away to study!! biggrin.gif

Not sure what to suggest for the next one...... huh.gif
Gitarrero
Thanks Cosmin!

Awesome collab as usual...and yes, I try to get well know for something else now than THAT CERTAIN RIFF laugh.gif and I think delivering epic endings to your collabs is a thing I'd like to be recognized for biggrin.gif

I wonder...should I give you some inspiration for another collab?

Maybe it is time for an acoustic ballad รก la Oasis? smile.gif
Grace
Grace - congratulations on your first collab missie!! biggrin.gif Nice fresh lines on the chorus, which I have selected and there were also some good ideas that i have spotted in the verse part. My suggestion is to keep writing smile.gif Experience will build itself only if you allow it to, by writing and playing. I am here to support if you'd like to work on lead playing as well wink.gif

It was a special experience!! biggrin.gif Thank you Cosmin smile.gif I should definitely take some time to write (and practice more) music, I love music and I know it will always be a big important part of my life so I want to get better and better at it and all of this helps me do just that smile.gif so thanks again and your solo rocked! Also congrats to everyone else it was fun playing with all of you!! biggrin.gif wink.gif

PS: I noticed that when my part comes in the song it sounds like it started too early and it's out of rhythm but I wasn't sure if that's how it's supposed to be or if it doesn't sound like that to anyone else?
Grace

Ben, you killed me with this one...PERFECT choice laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Cosmin Lupu
biggrin.gif Indeed biggrin.gif Grace! About your question - I felt that the lines fitted that way and that's why I placed them like that - if you want, I can do a remix and place them in conformity with your indications biggrin.gif
Grace
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 28 2012, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif Indeed biggrin.gif Grace! About your question - I felt that the lines fitted that way and that's why I placed them like that - if you want, I can do a remix and place them in conformity with your indications biggrin.gif

Oh no don't worry about it! I just wasn't sure if it was that way on purpose or not since I didn't remember doing it like that but it's cool I don't mind it smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Grace @ Sep 28 2012, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh no don't worry about it! I just wasn't sure if it was that way on purpose or not since I didn't remember doing it like that but it's cool I don't mind it smile.gif

weeeeell biggrin.gif Now that I come to think of it, in your NEXT collab take tongue.gif I will follow your exact indications in regard to where and how to place your lead part - deal?

QUOTE (Nether @ Sep 27 2012, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for the tips Cosmin, i'll try to follow them the next time. I'm almost sure that i tuned the guitar before playing, but as i did a lot of takes some string might have go out of tune. I'll try what you said about thinking the melody before, i've been improving my ear training so i might be able to do it.
I've a lot to learn but i think that doing these kind of things helped a lot. At least it's very funny, and hearing the final result it's great.

Hahaha i don't know which bending are you talking about.

Almost every thing is improvised so it's probably good luck, except the prebend-release at 0:35. I did that in one take and then I keep doing it in every take, and as I wasn't very inspired i ended doing it a lot of times laugh.gif

biggrin.gif I guess that's the one tongue.gif Yeah man, the stuff with the tuning will happen all the time - come join the following collabs and I promise to offer you occasions to hone your writing skills wink.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 27 2012, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the kind words mate!! Much appreciated!
Congrats to everyone else and also to you for such a great mix!!
biggrin.gif

PS. I also noticed Nether's bend and also YOUR rushed one!!!
wink.gif

PPS. I've come to terms with her going away to study!! biggrin.gif

Not sure what to suggest for the next one...... huh.gif

Well, we'll let Guitarrero name the topic tongue.gif He always gets it right, right? laugh.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 28 2012, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, we'll let Guitarrero name the topic tongue.gif He always gets it right, right? laugh.gif

It's very brave to let Christian make any decisions !! If I let him choose the topic of my next collab he would probably come up with something like German Lederhosen Disco Party or something !! tongue.gif

Actually, now that I've thought of that... that might work.... ph34r.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 28 2012, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's very brave to let Christian make any decisions !! If I let him choose the topic of my next collab he would probably come up with something like German Lederhosen Disco Party or something !! tongue.gif

Hmmm, he actually inspired me with good ideas biggrin.gif No lederhosen here, mate tongue.gif
Gitarrero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 28 2012, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It totally would! Do it Ben, do it!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 28 2012, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, he actually inspired me with good ideas biggrin.gif No lederhosen here, mate tongue.gif

Thanks Cosmin, right answer biggrin.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 28 2012, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It totally would! Do it Ben, do it!

Ok ! I might need to consult your German expertise though ?? What should I do to get myself in the right frame of mind to compose such a collab ? Listen to Kraftwerk ? Nenah ? Oompah bands ?
Gitarrero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 28 2012, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok ! I might need to consult your German expertise though ?? What should I do to get myself in the right frame of mind to compose such a collab ? Listen to Kraftwerk ? Nenah ? Oompah bands ?

You asked for it! Here is some inspiration...you might wanna type in "Wiesn Hits 2012" on youtube for more stuff like this. But beware! I've watched 5 videos now and am at the edge of my sanity. You might lose your mind after 2 or 3 videos.

Nice vibrato at 3:24 laugh.gif

Grace
weeeeell biggrin.gif Now that I come to think of it, in your NEXT collab take tongue.gif I will follow your exact indications in regard to where and how to place your lead part - deal?

Is this only a nice way of pushing me to do more collabs?? tongue.gif lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.