Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Peavey Valveking!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Asphyxia Feeling
curious about these. a cheap class A A/B tube amp!

if i ever bought a cheap half stack i was thinking of this. i've never actually played one though, so i'd like to know what anybody's thoughts are on them.
Rock
QUOTE (Asphyxia Feeling @ Jun 19 2007, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
curious about these. a cheap class A A/B tube amp!

if i ever bought a cheap half stack i was thinking of this. i've never actually played one though, so i'd like to know what anybody's thoughts are on them.

I have the ValveKing VK112 which is the 50W version 1x12. It's a great amp. I paid $430USD new. I spent $70 and changed out the tubes with high gain JJ preamp tubes ECC83S (three) and JJ poweramp tubes 6L6GC (two). I also spent another $180 and changed out the stock speaker with an Alnico Silver Bell. All from Eurotubes. Now don't get me wrong, this amp sounds great in its stock version, but to me for another $250 or total of $680USD I now have an amp that I would compare to something that would cost at least $1500+. For a combo amp under $700, this thing is absolutely amazing. You have to hear it to believe it. I basically use the clean channel and individual pedals to get the sounds I want, but I have to say that the distortion (LEAD) channel sounds excellent all by itself.
ruben_mcn
anyone tryed this peavey valve king head (is it good ??) ???? What would be a nice cab to go w/ it cause i heard the matching peavey cab isn´t very good ?

ps: I went to try one my self yesterday but they didn´t have one in store sad.gif
ZakkWylde
Great amp for the price you pay. Add a Framus 2x12 cab with Vintage 30 speakers and you got a great setup for small money!
ruben_mcn
thanks zakk but I was going to buy from dolphin music store in england , but i just checked there web site and they don´t have farmus cabs :S

THese are the cabs they have in store is anyone nice ?? ( for a nice price )

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/category/gui...uitar-amps/cab/

edit: btw can this amp do metal (without the use of pedals )?
ZakkWylde
What is your Pricerange?

(and yes 4x12 are certainly more awesome but also heavier and more expensive!)

As you see it can do Metal pretty well, if you need it even heavier then try the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo that's coming out next week (the head is too expensive for you I guess, it's more than twice what the valveking costs)
ruben_mcn
something like700 - 800 euro but the less the better tongue.gif ( I can stretch till 900 euro ) I would really like it to be a 4x 12

Nice vid smile.gif do you think the peavy correponding cab is nice ?? ( I bealive it is kinda cheap priced witch is nice tongue.gif )

Nice vid smile.gif do you think the peavy correponding cab is nice ?? ( I bealive it is kinda cheap priced witch is nice tongue.gif )
ZakkWylde
I don't know if that's the right approach; buying a cab that's more expenisve than the actual head... I would rather buy the best possible head and a small, good sounding cab for now (you can always upgrade later)...

To me it's: TONE>LOOKS

For 700 Euro you can get an Orange 4x12 cab (they are also avalable in black) or a Marshall 1960 AV cab, they bot sound great and are professinal cabs used on stages and in studios!
ruben_mcn
You are rigth smile.gif so would it be better to buy a difrrent better head ??
ZakkWylde
it's good for 500 Euro BUT it is only a 500 Euro amp, it won't sound like a 1000-1500 Euro amp, not even with the best cab you can buy!

What is you overall limit of cash you can spend and what kind of sounds do you want from your amps (styles, bands, etc)
ruben_mcn
I want to have a nice MEtal tone (pantera and MEtallica kinda thing ) and also would like to bring the gain down a bit to get a nice Hard rock tone (guns and roses tone ) ... and IF it had a nice clean channel it would be great ( to get some jimi tones out of it )
ZakkWylde
That still don't tells us what you are willing to spend on Amp+Cab together, so that we can gather some ideas for your future setup...
ruben_mcn
I bealive I´m willing to spende kinda 1000 euros for both (amp+Cab ) , that´s why o tougth of the peavey valveking ..
ZakkWylde
That leaves a tight budget for a quality 4x12 and a good tube head...
Best choice if it HAS to be a 4x12 cab is buying a used one with V30 speakers to save some money and pair it up with a newly bought Valveking head from the store...
ruben_mcn
what if it was a 2x12 ??
ZakkWylde
That would make this little baby (not the coolest look but great sound and awesome price/value ratio):
http://www.thomann.de/de/framus_fr212_cb.htm

Other amp suggestions besides the Peavey would be:

http://www.thomann.de/de/engl_e325_thunder_head_topteil.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/laney_gh50l.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/bugera_333_xl.htm

Problem is that most of the professional heads start at 1000 Euros and the good 4x12 cabs at atleast 600 Euros... You could get a far better setup if you were willing to save a bit more money!
ruben_mcn
thanks Zakk I will think about it smile.gif
Smikey2006
Im using a VK half stack atm. I absolutely love it. Great thrash tones and a super heavy low end. I never really could get great lead tones out of it but that might just be me. Great cleans, i absolutely love it overall. Although I don't have too much to compare it to. I actually just played a show last night using the VK and we have a video of it. Ill post the video in this thread as soon as i get it. you can use it as a sort of sample. All i use is a bit of compression.
ZakkWylde
Weren't you the Krank-Enthusiast Smikey?
ruben_mcn
Thanks smikey, what cab do you use ??

btw: do you think you can post the video tonigth ?? (cause if you can´t I will only be able to see it next week :S )
Smikey2006
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 21 2010, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Weren't you the Krank-Enthusiast Smikey?

biggrin.gif i love Krank, still have mine I've just stopped using it live lately. Mostly because i havn't been playing anything nearly as heavy as i used to. Mostly alot of postrock stuff lately, im actually thinking of downscaling to a quality combo instead of the krank.. guess time has changed me a bit haha
ruben_mcn
ruben_mcn
Would a LANEY GH50L w/ GROOVE TUBES EL34 or a Crate Blues voodoo 120 w be good for the kind of tones i want (better than the peavy ??) ( cause o found this deals -- » http://seixal-setubal.olx.pt/en/amplificad...vo-iid-81765900 http://almada.olx.pt/en/amplificador-de-gu...-iid-79969009)?? and would it match the framus cab nicely ??

ruben_mcn
?
ZakkWylde
Crate isn't a great company overall from what I heard and played: cheap quality and bad tone. Dunno about the voodoo series though.
The Laney might be better but how are we supposed to know what you will like more?!? Go out and play the amps!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.