Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where Do Your Family Come From?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Gabriel Leopardi
Hey guys! Yesterday has been a holiday in Argentina so I decided to go to visit to my Grandparents who live a bit far from my city. There are no words to describe how much I love them, how happy I feel when I see them and also how happy they feel when I go there.

I just wanted to share this nice feeling and this cool pic with my Grandfather that I always say that was born in Romania and after the second war had to emigrate to Argentina with an Hungarian lady that lived in Germany which is my Grandma Kataline. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Where do your parents and grandparents come from?
Patrik Berg
Family first, thanks for sharing Gab, I have one grandparent left alive, she lives in Norway, both my grandfathers died several years ago, my other grandmother died last year, the morning she died she visited me in my dreams and told me she was feeling much better as she was sick for quite a while. We all need to love our families with all our hearts smile.gif
I live in Australia and it's along and expensive trip to sweden and norway sad.gif
Grace
Awesome picture and family background Gabriel!! biggrin.gif

My family is...I guess very pure? All four of my grandparents were born in Puerto Rico and lived there their whole lives, therefore both of my parents are from Puerto Rico, as well as my siblings and myself, and the only sister in law and brother in law that I have are also Puertoricans laugh.gif I wonder if I will break this tradition! tongue.gif Family is definitely very important and special to me even more than my dreams smile.gif <3
Cosmin Lupu
Roots smile.gif Nice mate! One day, as I always tell you, you should come here and visit this place smile.gif
Timmy b
Thats a really nice pick of you and your Grandad. Looks like a top bloke!
As for me, All my grandparent come from The Czech Republic. Sadly Ive only got one left, But he's a great old fella! My Parents were also from there, but they decided to flee the country in the 70s during the height of the Communist regime, were refuges a couple years and somehow ended up out in Australia. So thats where grew up and call home.
As Patrik mentioned earlier, its such a long and expensive trip to europe, visiting family when we were kids just wasnt posible. I meet my extended family for the first time when i was 20. Im living in Europe now the last couple years so they're just around the corner now smile.gif
Saoirse O'Shea
My mother is Chinese and my father Irish and I also have an older sister who has two grown up children. My wife has 2 Irish grandparents and two English grandparents. Our daughter is part Chinese, part Irish, part English. Both my wife's parents died in the 2000s. All my grandparents died many years ago and my father died back at the very start of 2000. My parents divorced when I was 7 and I never saw my father again until shortly before he died. He had married again and emigrated to South Africa with his 2nd wife, who's English, lives in South Africa still. She also has two grown up children from a previous marrage.
Dieterle
My fathers part from germany / my mothers part before grandfather from france .

Dieter
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Nov 27 2012, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Family first, thanks for sharing Gab, I have one grandparent left alive, she lives in Norway, both my grandfathers died several years ago, my other grandmother died last year, the morning she died she visited me in my dreams and told me she was feeling much better as she was sick for quite a while. We all need to love our families with all our hearts smile.gif
I live in Australia and it's along and expensive trip to sweden and norway sad.gif

Awesome story about your grandmother mate.

QUOTE (Grace @ Nov 27 2012, 06:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome picture and family background Gabriel!! biggrin.gif

My family is...I guess very pure? All four of my grandparents were born in Puerto Rico and lived there their whole lives, therefore both of my parents are from Puerto Rico, as well as my siblings and myself, and the only sister in law and brother in law that I have are also Puertoricans laugh.gif I wonder if I will break this tradition! tongue.gif Family is definitely very important and special to me even more than my dreams smile.gif <3

Nice, I know very talented artists from Puerto Rico! There must be something magical there! do you also speak Spanish?

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 27 2012, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Roots smile.gif Nice mate! One day, as I always tell you, you should come here and visit this place smile.gif

yeah! I know that I will be there anytime!

QUOTE (Timmy b @ Nov 27 2012, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats a really nice pick of you and your Grandad. Looks like a top bloke!
As for me, All my grandparent come from The Czech Republic. Sadly Ive only got one left, But he's a great old fella! My Parents were also from there, but they decided to flee the country in the 70s during the height of the Communist regime, were refuges a couple years and somehow ended up out in Australia. So thats where grew up and call home.
As Patrik mentioned earlier, its such a long and expensive trip to europe, visiting family when we were kids just wasnt posible. I meet my extended family for the first time when i was 20. Im living in Europe now the last couple years so they're just around the corner now smile.gif

Australia! that was one of the options that were given to my Grandparents ... Canada, Australia or Argentina were the possibilities..

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Nov 27 2012, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My mother is Chinese and my father Irish and I also have an older sister who has two grown up children. My wife has 2 Irish grandparents and two English grandparents. Our daughter is part Chinese, part Irish, part English. Both my wife's parents died in the 2000s. All my grandparents died many years ago and my father died back at the very start of 2000. My parents divorced when I was 7 and I never saw my father again until shortly before he died. He had married again and emigrated to South Africa with his 2nd wife, who's English, lives in South Africa still. She also has two grown up children from a previous marrage.

Interesting mix mate. Thanks for sharing. smile.gif

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 27 2012, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My fathers part from germany / my mothers part before grandfather from france .

Dieter

Nice to know it. Thanks Dieter. smile.gif
Gitarrero
Pretty much a pure german here. Both my parents came from the Northwestern Part of Germany, Westphalia to be precise. Westphalians are said to be very stubborn and talk/communicate very little. Uhm...sounds like me...totally.
However, my last name "Driever" is very common in the netherlands, so it could be that my grandgrandgrandparents came from the Netherlands. Which might also explain why I get alsong so well with Opetholic and Snackajacks laugh.gif
All my grandparents died a long time ago, unfortunately. And my dad also died more than 9 years ago. He taught me to play guitar in the first place and was my first inspiration...he also used to record his own songs in his little studio. Funny enough, I just started writing and recording my own material long after he died. But I know he would be proud of me smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Nov 27 2012, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty much a pure german here. Both my parents came from the Northwestern Part of Germany, Westphalia to be precise. Westphalians are said to be very stubborn and talk/communicate very little. Uhm...sounds like me...totally.
However, my last name "Driever" is very common in the netherlands, so it could be that my grandgrandgrandparents came from the Netherlands. Which might also explain why I get alsong so well with Opetholic and Snackajacks laugh.gif
All my grandparents died a long time ago, unfortunately. And my dad also died more than 9 years ago. He taught me to play guitar in the first place and was my first inspiration...he also used to record his own songs in his little studio. Funny enough, I just started writing and recording my own material long after he died. But I know he would be proud of me smile.gif

Nice story mate, he is surely proud of you. smile.gif
gregc1
I'm pure Floridian/American. My dads family is from Miami and my moms family is from a small coastal town in north Florida called Port St. Joe. The only thing interesting in my blood line is my great great grandmother on my dads side was 100% Cherokee Indian so I have a sliver in me. Could be where my love of outdoors comes from.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Nov 27 2012, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pure Floridian/American. My dads family is from Miami and my moms family is from a small coastal town in north Florida called Port St. Joe. The only thing interesting in my blood line is my great great grandmother on my dads side was 100% Cherokee Indian so I have a sliver in me. Could be where my love of outdoors comes from.

Cool! I'm finding this thread really interesting guys! Keep the posts coming! smile.gif
Grace
Nice, I know very talented artists from Puerto Rico! There must be something magical there! do you also speak Spanish?

Well our ancestors were a mixture of 3 very different races and cultures so I guess that does make it magical smile.gif
My first and main language is Spanish smile.gif I was 8 years old when we moved to Florida and it was a bit hard for me to start speaking in English and have people not understand me when I spoke in Spanish x_x but it's all good now I speak Spanglish lol and me and my family always speak Spanish smile.gif I'm really happy I learned English too though smile.gif

Andre Nieri
Awesome pic, Gabe.

My family is mixture of italian and portuguese people. That may explain my giant nose LOL
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Andre Nieri @ Nov 28 2012, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome pic, Gabe.

My family is mixture of italian and portuguese people. That may explain my giant nose LOL

I knew there was something Italian about your name, Andre - Nieri, Satriani, Vai... you got my point I think tongue.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Grace @ Nov 27 2012, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well our ancestors were a mixture of 3 very different races and cultures so I guess that does make it magical smile.gif
My first and main language is Spanish smile.gif I was 8 years old when we moved to Florida and it was a bit hard for me to start speaking in English and have people not understand me when I spoke in Spanish x_x but it's all good now I speak Spanglish lol and me and my family always speak Spanish smile.gif I'm really happy I learned English too though smile.gif

Cool Grace!! Saludos amiga! smile.gif

Grace
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 28 2012, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool Grace!! Saludos amiga! smile.gif

Saludos desde Florida! smile.gif
PosterBoy
My Dad is Irish and my mother is English, most of my life has been spent in England, though I live in Ireland now.

I don't particularly feel at all Irish.

My wife is Brazilian, so if we ever make a baby it will have a nice mix.

I'm waiting for André to start my Intermediate Brazilian Portuguese Mentoring thread Lol
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 29 2012, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Dad is Irish and my mother is English, most of my life has been spent in England, though I live in Ireland now.

I don't particularly feel at all Irish.

My wife is Brazilian, so if we ever make a baby it will have a nice mix.

I'm waiting for André to start my Intermediate Brazilian Portuguese Mentoring thread Lol

Nobody wants a Beginner Romanian Mentoring Thread? biggrin.gif We have a very colorful language!
Timmy b
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 29 2012, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nobody wants a Beginner Romanian Mentoring Thread? biggrin.gif We have a very colorful language!

Ive already got a romanian language tutour! My Little nephew! smile.gif
My brothers wife is Romanian, and their4 year old son doesnt really speak much english yet. He skypes me sometimes at random and tells me all about his day, Of which I understand next to nothing. smile.gif It is a really interesting sounding language though! Maybe one day I'll take real laeesons form him! tongue.gif
PosterBoy
Romanian is a strange language for the location of the country as it is a lot closer to Spanish and Portuguese than the Slavik and East Slavik language families.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 29 2012, 05:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahah that would be cool! We should have learning languages threads!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.