Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Behringer V-amp 2?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Todd Simpson
I picked up a BEHRINGER V-AMP Version 2 for U.S. $30 just to check it out and see what they are like. Anybody else have one? In short,

PROS
1.)Good Delays, Reverbs, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser. LIke having a bunch of decent stomp boxes in one Midi foot controlled package.

2.)Very Inexpensive.

3.)Built in Tuner.

4.)Functions as USB audio interfaces to computer.

CONS

1.)Distortions are (IMHO) WEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAKKKKKK

2.)Gain saturation turns to mush past 6 o'clock.

3.)Minimal Pick articulation on lead settings.

Click to view attachment
Jouve
That's nice one wink.gif . Can you use the FX without the amp emulation?
Gitarrero
I had the V-Amp 1 and now have the V-Amp 3 which I only use for the video chats.
Gotta agree with the pros and cons you listed.
The V-Amp 1 had two bigger switches so I could use it live with my band, and it worked really great since I really just needed 5 presets.
Rammikin
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 8 2013, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2.)Very Inexpensive

That pretty much sums up the VAmp smile.gif.

If you're in the mood to experiment with older amp simulators, do yourself a favor and pick up a Johnson J-Station on ebay for about $50. The J-Station was years ahead of its time and has some awesome modeling, especially the dual rectifier.
Todd Simpson
Yes smile.gif You can bypass the preamp section and just use the FX. Which is handy. You can then save that as a preset. Any midi footswitch can control it. For the price, the delay and modulation fx are hard to beat.

Todd

QUOTE (Jouve @ Feb 8 2013, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's nice one wink.gif . Can you use the FX without the amp emulation?

Tough to beat for the price!! The only place it falls down it high gain palm muting/djenty stuff. For regular rock guitar it sounds pretty darn spiff. smile.gif

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 8 2013, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had the V-Amp 1 and now have the V-Amp 3 which I only use for the video chats.
Gotta agree with the pros and cons you listed.
The V-Amp 1 had two bigger switches so I could use it live with my band, and it worked really great since I really just needed 5 presets.

Todd Simpson

Only one I saw was $150 but I"ll keep an eye out! Always up for trying out cheap gear smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Feb 8 2013, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That pretty much sums up the VAmp smile.gif.

If you're in the mood to experiment with older amp simulators, do yourself a favor and pick up a Johnson J-Station on ebay for about $50. The J-Station was years ahead of its time and has some awesome modeling, especially the dual rectifier.

PosterBoy
We use the bass version at church
Sensible Jones
I have one. It was my first venture into Amp Modelling etc. I really liked some of the clean sounds, especially the 'American Blues' and 'Tweed Combo'!
I agree with you that the FX side is very good, especially live! I used to use mine with a FCB controller.
The Amp modelling sounds from one of these I found to be much better:-

biggrin.gif
Bossie
I almost forgot i have a Vamp2 too...it was very cheap then! I was pretty amazed with it when i hooked it up to a speaker..for the small price ofcours
MHD Pickups
Funny i was just looking at the rack version of this for like 100 bucks.
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (MHD Pickups @ Feb 9 2013, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds pretty reasonable. It has very usable clean tones which can be dirtied up with Pedals quite nicely!
smile.gif
Todd Simpson
Not a bad price!! But BEWARE THE DISTORTIONS they were pretty underwhelming compared to the VST stuff I"m used to. They would work for power chords and such though. The real strength of the VAMP seems to be the FX on clean channel. So if you get one, I'd think about adding something else for the distortion. A distortion pedal, or some rack unit perhaps. The options are limitless until the budget comes in to play, and at that point things slim down quick.

Todd

QUOTE (MHD Pickups @ Feb 8 2013, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rammikin
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 8 2013, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only one I saw was $150 but I"ll keep an eye out! Always up for trying out cheap gear

fyi, it looks like there's a few J-Stations available this week on ebay.
Todd Simpson
Theres a Johnson pedal board too smile.gif May have to wait a bit, but it's on my list.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Feb 12 2013, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fyi, it looks like there's a few J-Stations available this week on ebay.

Gabriel Leopardi
Talking abot cheap gear... have anybody tried these ones?

Sensible Jones
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 21 2013, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Talking abot cheap gear... have anybody tried these ones?

I've tried all of them Gab, except the Acoustic one.
I can highly recommend the Joe Satriani signature one!!
Splinterhead
I have the rackmount version as well.
Its a fun unit and I was able to get a slightly overdriven tone out of it that worked quite well on a song or two.
Its so amazing how the prices drop so much when gear like this is around for a few years.
Todd Simpson
I actually did a youtube vid/gmc post featuring the plug and the micro cabinet you can get for it smile.gif I did have to use a metal muff in front of it though for boost. But even by itself it's not bad smile.gif The Joe satrianni model has a bit of delay/echo built in as a bonues.

and the thread

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.