Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Choosing A Guitar Wood And Tones
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
MHD Pickups
Thought this might pretty interesting topic. When you buy a guitar do you plug it in prior to playing it. If so why. I do not think I have in hell 5 years or so. When I am looking at specific guitars it is the acoustics of the guitar I listen to and the playability.

So lets hear what you guys think and do.
Fayeed Tan
QUOTE (MHD Pickups @ Feb 23 2013, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thought this might pretty interesting topic. When you buy a guitar do you plug it in prior to playing it. If so why. I do not think I have in hell 5 years or so. When I am looking at specific guitars it is the acoustics of the guitar I listen to and the playability.

So lets hear what you guys think and do.

In my opinion I usually ask the seller what type of wood was used on the neck. Or by simply looking at the neck you'll know if it's either maple or rosewood. I'm more of a rosewood type of guy simply because (based on experience) I find it hard to EQ the guitar if you use different amps on different gigs.

Bottom line is reading about the type of wood and the type of sound it gives really does help. I have this article copied from the net about different types of wood used in guitars and their sound, that's where I learned everything about wood.
klasaine
I play it un-amplified first. If I dig the way it feels and responds only then will I plug it in.
MHD Pickups
QUOTE (Fayeed Tan @ Feb 23 2013, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my opinion I usually ask the seller what type of wood was used on the neck. Or by simply looking at the neck you'll know if it's either maple or rosewood. I'm more of a rosewood type of guy simply because (based on experience) I find it hard to EQ the guitar if you use different amps on different gigs.

Bottom line is reading about the type of wood and the type of sound it gives really does help. I have this article copied from the net about different types of wood used in guitars and their sound, that's where I learned everything about wood.

While reading about tone woods it is not always cut and dry. I have 4 Alder guitars all are Fender from the same year and all are inherently different. A true test of the lumber you are buying for me is acoustics. It is very difficult t liven up a dead sounding piece of wood. Mahogany and maple are not always the same. PRS and Gibsons sound completely different.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.