Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Theory Chops?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > THEORY
The Professor
Just so we can get an idea of where everyone is theory wise, here's a question for everyone.

What is the one part of your theory knowledge that you would most like to improve in 2013?
DeGroot
My main goal going into this year was learning modes and applying it to music. I've been jamming to a lot of different backing tracks to get more familiar with each mode and its color.

Now I'm learning how to build chords that work with each mode. I'm going to be creating my own simpler jam tracks using chord combinations for each mode. Your tutorials have been insightful with explanations and learning how to build chords!

Still have a long way to go with learning all of this. Hopefully after I get the major modes down more solid, I'll can start exploring Melodic minor and Harmonic minor modes. smile.gif
TreyDeschamp
I am a complete beginner in theory so for me all I care about is learning theory and applying it to the fretboard.
The Professor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 7 2013, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My main goal going into this year was learning modes and applying it to music. I've been jamming to a lot of different backing tracks to get more familiar with each mode and its color.

Now I'm learning how to build chords that work with each mode. I'm going to be creating my own simpler jam tracks using chord combinations for each mode. Your tutorials have been insightful with explanations and learning how to build chords!

Still have a long way to go with learning all of this. Hopefully after I get the major modes down more solid, I'll can start exploring Melodic minor and Harmonic minor modes. smile.gif

Cool those are good goals. Glad you are digging the major mode stuff, I'll move on to the Melodic Minor modes next.

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Mar 7 2013, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a complete beginner in theory so for me all I care about is learning theory and applying it to the fretboard.

Cool, sounds like a good plan!
PosterBoy
Applying complex chords, either in original composition or reharmonising. Also creating more interesting progressions into a pop/americana/rock genre composition
The Professor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 8 2013, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Applying complex chords, either in original composition or reharmonising. Also creating more interesting progressions into a pop/americana/rock genre composition

Cool! Always good stuff to explore in the theory practice room.
klasaine
A cool thing would be for people to post a chord prog they'd like to embellish or spice up and have you (prof) or any other forum participant offer suggestions.
The Professor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 8 2013, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A cool thing would be for people to post a chord prog they'd like to embellish or spice up and have you (prof) or any other forum participant offer suggestions.

Sounds cool. If you have one in mind feel free to post it and we'll kick it off!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.