Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Advice On Recording
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
dcz702
ive started using a mic to mic my cab, im playing through a 212 rectifier and mini rec amp, into a m-audio profire610, using logic and a sm57. my sound doesnt seem good to me, ive recorded different tracks 2 dozen times to experiment.
whats the best place for the mic? and should my output levels not be clipping at all, or does it matter. i have been making the backing track not clip and my recorded guitar not clip, and tried both not clipping the output and clipping the output to make the levels match the volume of music in my library cause sometimes my recorded levels seem low if i dont boost the output.
any recording advice?

here is one of the recordings gabs skate punk lesson http://soundcloud.com/zygas702-1/skatepunk-no-vid-2
Cosmin Lupu
Hey buddy, already placed my thoughts in here: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry637461
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Mar 18 2013, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive started using a mic to mic my cab, im playing through a 212 rectifier and mini rec amp, into a m-audio profire610, using logic and a sm57. my sound doesnt seem good to me, ive recorded different tracks 2 dozen times to experiment. whats the best place for the mic?

You need to experiment with mic placement. Having said that the sweet spot is usually a little off centre on one of the speakers with the mic pointed towards the cone but with the mic held at an angle rather than straight at it. Also, you should try getting the cab off the flooror angled/tilted back. Forinstance, try putting it on a chair with a rug or something under the chair as this can help with bass issues and reflection.

and should my output levels not be clipping at all, or does it matter. i have been making the backing track not clip and my recorded guitar not clip, and tried both not clipping the output and clipping the output to make the levels match the volume of music in my library cause sometimes my recorded levels seem low if i dont boost the output.
any recording advice?

You should try not to clip at recording. Digital clipping isn't nice and is extremely difficult to remove/mask late. Volume is set at mastering, for recording and mixing you need to set your levels quite conservatively so that you have a good, clean signal. For recording the issue is a strong signal that makes good use of the SNR. Set your input to the recording device so that it never clips. Find the point where it clips on the loudest guitar strum and then back the input off some way so that when you play that bit again the meter stays away from clipping. In digital 24bit the noise floor is down at around -144dB. That means you have more than enough range without ever needing to approach 0dBFS. So set your signal in Logic so that it appears around -12dB peak for an individual track. The 2bus main should never exceed -3dB and preferably should stay at around -6dB peak level. If you want to know more you can check out digital gainstaging.

Us mastering engineers sometimes deliberately clip to get level but we do so knowing how our hardware responds. I know that I can drive our Orpheus in to the red quite some way wthout things getting nasty. My rig however is properly gainstaged and balanced. However, I think your m-audio needs to stay away from its clip level.

dcz702
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 18 2013, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to experiment with mic placement. Having said that the sweet spot is usually a little off centre on one of the speakers with the mic pointed towards the cone but with the mic held at an angle rather than straight at it. Also, you should try getting the cab off the flooror angled/tilted back. Forinstance, try putting it on a chair with a rug or something under the chair as this can help with bass issues and reflection.

You should try not to clip at recording. Digital clipping isn't nice and is extremely difficult to remove/mask late. Volume is set at mastering, for recording and mixing you need to set your levels quite conservatively so that you have a good, clean signal. For recording the issue is a strong signal that makes good use of the SNR. Set your input to the recording device so that it never clips. Find the point where it clips on the loudest guitar strum and then back the input off some way so that when you play that bit again the meter stays away from clipping. In digital 24bit the noise floor is down at around -144dB. That means you have more than enough range without ever needing to approach 0dBFS. So set your signal in Logic so that it appears around -12dB peak for an individual track. The 2bus main should never exceed -3dB and preferably should stay at around -6dB peak level. If you want to know more you can check out digital gainstaging.

Us mastering engineers sometimes deliberately clip to get level but we do so knowing how our hardware responds. I know that I can drive our Orpheus in to the red quite some way wthout things getting nasty. My rig however is properly gainstaged and balanced. However, I think your m-audio needs to stay away from its clip level.

thank you for your help. made sence of a lot of things for me, i was wondering if i should get my amp off the floor, had a feeling it would be a good idea. im gonna dive into some more recording tomorrow and start with your advice. thanks again
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! I found your other thread first and commented there!

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry637461

klasaine
+1 to everything Tony Miro says.

My personal methods ...

The two different speakers in your amp, even if they're the same make and model, will sound differently - especially to a microphone. Try each one separately.

I like to point that 57 half way between the dust cap and the speaker edge and at a 45ยบ (as TM mentioned). If I need more lows I'll angle it towards the edge. More highs - towards the center. You can also move the whole mic towards the edge or center for lows/highs respectively. I like it about 1 to 2 centimeters from the grill.

I 'personally' would use a little less gain and then double the part.
If/when you do that - switch guitars (if that's an option) or switch pickups or just roll your tone and or volume back a little bit. You can also use a dif OD pedal/patch/model.

If it's doable - two mics are awesome: dynamic close, condensor at a distance.

Do you have a decent mic-pre? It absolutely helps for rec live insts.
Darius Wave
You have already some great advices in here. As for You clipping part of question...

Sound should not be clipping. It's good to have a nice compressor plugged between the mic preamp and the interface. You can adjust hight ratio and set it only for cutting the ckips - do not do "mix-like" compression. It better to use it like limiter. With very high ratio value you can set the treshold at -1 or 0 dB. Very often freq like 80 to 160 Hz likes to clip while You palm mute. I prefer to use multiband compressor in the mix cause regular compressor will also hide the atak in the higher frequencies. But this You would rather do while mixing. Using "Real" compressor in the recording chain will help You to get better noise to signal level proportion. Otherwise You could pull down too much of the signal to avoid clipping.

As for the mix setup - to mics do the job but if there is only one I prefer to use it somewhere between the cone and the edge.

As for Your guitar tone someone said about less distortion and making double - +1 for this guy smile.gif

As for what You can do do with already recorded tone...You can get rid of a bit harshy high mid frequencies. I would suggest to cut very narrow but deep (-5 tp -8 dB) in 3900 Hz, 6000 Hz and 12.000 Hz) than You can add the Low Pass Filter and cut a little from the high end.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.