Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holdsworth
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Bands and Guitarists
Saoirse O'Shea
Probably my favourite player - great creative outside playing:
Allan Holdsworth - Funnels

Hope you like - a wonderful but sadly not very well known guitar player.

Best,
T
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 27 2007, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably my favourite player - great creative outside playing:
Allan Holdsworth - Funnels

Hope you like - a wonderful but sadly not very well known guitar player.

Best,
T

His reputation does precede him, but yes you are right he deserves more recognition, not least because his legato style is fairly unique!

Thanks for the link, I need to get some of his albums!
Smikey2006
Hes Pritty good smile.gif i hate that guitar tho.
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 27 2007, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His reputation does precede him, but yes you are right he deserves more recognition, not least because his legato style is fairly unique!

Thanks for the link, I need to get some of his albums!

If it helps Andy there was a recent 2 cd compilation that came out last year I think. I'll try to dig out the details for you.

Legato style - very pianistic, for pull offs he hammers on rather than pulls off if you get my meaning.

Cheers,
T
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 27 2007, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it helps Andy there was a recent 2 cd compilation that came out last year I think. I'll try to dig out the details for you.

Please!

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 27 2007, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Legato style - very pianistic, for pull offs he hammers on rather than pulls off if you get my meaning.

Yeah, I read somewhere that guitar wasn't his first choice, something else was - maybe sax? Anyway, he developed his legato style to make the guitar sound more like his chose instrument!
Resurrection
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 27 2007, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please!
Yeah, I read somewhere that guitar wasn't his first choice, something else was - maybe sax? Anyway, he developed his legato style to make the guitar sound more like his chose instrument!

I think you're on the money there Andrew. I remember reading that Holdsworth was inspired by a number of jazz saxophonists, particularly John Coltrane
Kristofer Dahl
Probably my all time favorite guitarist. smile.gif
And still I can't play any of his stuff...hm!

Apparently his dad couldn't afford to give him a sax - so he got an acoustic guitar which probably is five times cheaper... Lucky us!
Saoirse O'Shea
Think you are spot on about the sax for Holdsworth Kris - certainly he wanted (still wants) to emulate Coltrane and so on. The link for the compilation double cd - Against the Clock - is:

Alternity records

(Alternity Records
1001 Avenida Pico, C 177
San Clemente, CA 92673)

Alternity have some of his back catalogue as well (*sigh* I have early lp's - UK/Brufford/Metal Fatigue/Sand and so but on vinyl. Need to either cut them to mp3 or get the cds sad.gif to listen to them.)

There is however a great internet site that has digitised downloads of jazz concertsfrom the 60s/70s/80s. I ncluding Holdsworth from the late 70s (Tony Williams late 70s and also Allan Holdsworth circa Metal Fatigue.) Don't know if its legal rolleyes.gif . I can paste the address Kris if you are happy that I do...

Also Holdsworth is guesting on 3 (maybe 4) tracks on the forthcoming PlanetX album:

Planet X

should be good biggrin.gif .

Kris and Andrew - every now and again when I think my chops are getting ok I listen to Allan and realise how far I have to go ( I can play some, or bits, of his stuff)- but what a beautiful (if, for me) long journey. The guy is amazing and inspirational; as is this site. Keep up the good work - v much appreciated.

Cheers,
T
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 27 2007, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think you are spot on about the sax for Holdsworth Kris - certainly he wanted (still wants) to emulate Coltrane and so on. The link for the compilation double cd - Against the Clock - is:

Alternity records

(Alternity Records
1001 Avenida Pico, C 177
San Clemente, CA 92673)

Alternity have some of his back catalogue as well (*sigh* I have early lp's - UK/Brufford/Metal Fatigue/Sand and so but on vinyl. Need to either cut them to mp3 or get the cds sad.gif to listen to them.)

There is however a great internet site that has digitised downloads of jazz concertsfrom the 60s/70s/80s. I ncluding Holdsworth from the late 70s (Tony Williams late 70s and also Allan Holdsworth circa Metal Fatigue.) Don't know if its legal rolleyes.gif . I can paste the address Kris if you are happy that I do...

Also Holdsworth is guesting on 3 (maybe 4) tracks on the forthcoming PlanetX album:

Planet X

should be good biggrin.gif .

Kris and Andrew - every now and again when I think my chops are getting ok I listen to Allan and realise how far I have to go ( I can play some, or bits, of his stuff)- but what a beautiful (if, for me) long journey. The guy is amazing and inspirational; as is this site. Keep up the good work - v much appreciated.

Cheers,
T

Thanks for the info smile.gif

Probably best not to post the link if you are not sure its legal ...
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 28 2007, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the info smile.gif

Probably best not to post the link if you are not sure its legal ...

Thought so laugh.gif Good site though...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.