Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Brown Four On The Floor Collab
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Cosmin Lupu
Cosmin Lupu
Since today we honor the birthday of the great funk master James Brown - The almighty godfather of soul, what better way to celebrate than jamming together in his memory on a groovy funk track!

The terms are simple wink.gif Use the E minor pentatonic or minor blues scale to come up with funky licks and tricks!

That being said, let's get down and dirty with this one, so here are the tech specs:

Tempo: 110 BPM

Time signature: 4/4

Chord progression: E7#9 mainly and in the first part there is a little formula which takes us through the D7#9 and Eb7#9. The last chord from the second formula is a D7#9.

Scales: pentatonic minor and blues

Material format:

Audio tracks - 1 .wav track with your solo only and an .mp3 track having both the solo and the backing

Video track - mp4 would be awesome smile.gif

Clothing style: AS FUNKY AS IT GETS!

Deadline: May 25th

Let's groove brothers and sisters!

Cosmin
jstcrsn
dam I wish I had a leisure suit after listening to that

Cosmin Lupu
laugh.gif

I laughed so hard! biggrin.gif

Yeah man! Leisure suit or not, jump in the collab and we'll have a blast!
Sensible Jones
Let me get up and do my thing!!
I'm in, I'm in, I'm in!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
gregc1
Haha, yes. Definitely going to try and work something up for this.

Nice backing and nice collab title Cosmin.
Cosmin Lupu
Alright gentlemen! Feel free to boogie with me on this one biggrin.gif Your presence honors me, as always!
tonyk
Hey Cosmin, just checking that I'm to solo over whole 1.47 minutes and not just one chorus.thanks
Cosmin Lupu
Alright man, very good wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Guys, two days left for the entries! No one wants to groove?
Sensible Jones
PC's crashed!!!! Not able to record video on my other one, the processor isn't fast enough!!
mad.gif

On the up-side I've ordered a new Solid State Drive!!
smile.gif smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Guys, I am extending the deadline 'till Tuesday evening!

Everybody is welcome of course!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ May 25 2013, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PC's crashed!!!! Not able to record video on my other one, the processor isn't fast enough!!
mad.gif

On the up-side I've ordered a new Solid State Drive!!
smile.gif smile.gif

Congrats on the new purchase smile.gif Guess there's no chance to fix the PC till Tuesday, eh? tongue.gif
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 26 2013, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats on the new purchase smile.gif Guess there's no chance to fix the PC till Tuesday, eh? tongue.gif

If I can get something done I will, but I can't guarantee it!
Cosmin Lupu
Alright man, no problemmo smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Looks like nobody wants to jam sad.gif Well, I guess I'll just do it on my own then smile.gif
Nimrandir
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 29 2013, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like nobody wants to jam sad.gif Well, I guess I'll just do it on my own then smile.gif

I want to jam Cosmin! smile.gif I haven't played for a week though, so I don't know if I'll be able to play anything meaningful sad.gif.
Cosmin Lupu
I'll wait for you man! We can be two biggrin.gif Just try to come up with something till tomorrow evening or Friday morning, deal?
Nimrandir
Deal! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Grrreat!
Nimrandir
Hi Cosmin!

I will record my take in about 10-12 hours. Sorry for the delay. sad.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey man, sure, it's ok smile.gif
Nimrandir
Oh wow, I just noticed it is actually a video collab huh.gif . Going to record video now, only need to remember what I played there biggrin.gif (no funky clothes though sad.gif ).

Here's audio. As always, tons of timing mistakes; it was partly improvised, and I am absolute zero when it comes to that smile.gif.

Click to view attachment
http://soundcloud.com/nimrandir/jbrown-nobt
Nimrandir
I didn't know where to upload the video, so I just uploaded it on youtube. It's not perfectly sinced with what I'm playing, there are places where it is easily seen that audio and video were recorded separately. Hope it is not a big deal.

Also my guitar is a bit out of tune, especially on low frets of G string. I had to tune open G about 15-20 cents higher so that the tuning is about right around 12th fret and up. I don't know if it is intonation issue or the string is just old (haven't changed it for months).

Anyway, hope the solo doesn't sound too terrible. I think it sounds pretty bad, but I have an excuse that I haven't touched the guitar for a while, and time was short tongue.gif. I will put more time in your next collab, I promise! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey man! I think it's pretty damn good! Thanks for joining! Will get this baby up by Monday I think! biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Curious about how pappa James would sound if his music would be pumped on steroids? Check this out:

Thank you Nimrandir for making this a nice team effort! Your playing is very good and tight, great articulation and ideas, especially on sucha a short notice. I have selected the part which I enjoyed the most and I tried to make a theme like, so called 'chorus part'

Well, this Wednesday I will start a new one, so stay tuned guys!

Cosmin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.