Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sweep Picking
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
dcz702
so im on a new lesson
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-lesson/
ive had a go at sweeping in the past but let it go for another time. i can see in this video wich made the technique alot clearer, hes letting off the notes as the string is being passed by the pick, so the fluid movement looks like it has to be very precise with fret hand and picking.
any tips suggestions, im at this real real slow right now
Cosmin Lupu
I remember when I first encountered this technique and had the same question somehow - it's about having patience and making sure that the notes stay clear and have good flow and timing. I will make a video and debate this idea a bit wink.gif
Darius Wave
For me sweep picking always worked best with some thin picks like 0,73. Pushing the pick inside the string for getting higher signal level and more clarity. Also...I always use completely straight pick (no angle cause by thumb and 1st finger of the right hand). I've learned sweeps while being on a vacation and had only the acoustic guitar. This was my Malmsteens period.
dcz702
Cool thanks fellas.
I look forward to the vid cos smile.gif
This is a technique I'm going to have to put a lot of time into I'm gonna work hard on this till I get it, after watching the lesson vid I think I can get it down.
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! Cosmin is right about this. This is not a difficult technique since the movements is more natural and if you try doing the sweep just with the right hand, you will notice that you are already able to play it fast. The difficult parts are, the synchronization between both hands and making everything sound clean (no unwanted noises) and clear. I remember that when I was starting with this technique, I practices around 2 hours everyday 2, 3 and 5 strings sweeps slowly and one day, magically I could do it fast. It seems that our mind does a click and suddenly you can play this fast.

One thing that you will note on Muris video and also on most of the players that play Sweep is that we do a circular movement among the strings with the right hand. It's very slight but it's there. Check Malmsteen and Kotzen for more examples. Try to emulate that movement.

My suggestion is to be patient, practice using metronome, concentrate on timing and on making it sound clean and clear. Also, learn many different lessons based on this technique to practice different arpeggios and combinations.

And finally enjoy it! That's all. smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey there my friend. here ya go:

Britishampfan
I`ve always used a 3mm stubby or thicker pick for sweeps, I turn the pick to a 45 degree angle to the strings, a couple different methods to the string dampening, I use my palm but more offten it`s the way I strike the strings so they are clear and less ringy, it works way better and faster on the fly especially when using a 3 note per string going up DUD DUD DUD.... And UDU UDU coming back down the neck.
dcz702
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 29 2013, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there my friend. here ya go:

Thanks for the video. Ill be practicing this a lot ill let you know how its coming along
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 30 2013, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the video. Ill be practicing this a lot ill let you know how its coming along

That's exactly what I'd like you to do man smile.gif
dcz702
Hey still on this diligently. I'm able to play cleanly at I'd say half tempo of the lesson. I can speed it up a little but start missing notes here and there and it feels like my pick gets hung up a lot. Do you guys play sweeps using the thumb movement? I'm trying to get a clean fluid movement with my pick hand, I know it's gona take time but did anyone else have a problem with feeling like your pick gets hung up. I'm gonna post a vid in a few days of my progress.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 4 2013, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey still on this diligently. I'm able to play cleanly at I'd say half tempo of the lesson. I can speed it up a little but start missing notes here and there and it feels like my pick gets hung up a lot. Do you guys play sweeps using the thumb movement? I'm trying to get a clean fluid movement with my pick hand, I know it's gona take time but did anyone else have a problem with feeling like your pick gets hung up. I'm gonna post a vid in a few days of my progress.

Hey mate, I think it's all about how deep you sink the pick between the strings. A lighter touch on the strings would probably help smile.gif At least that's how I try to play, this and trying to sync the hands in an optimal way.
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! Great to see you working hard! I do a small thumb movement when I reach the higher note in order to do that small cirular movement that I explained earlier at this thread. I'll be doing a Vchat session tomorrow, I can show you my way of playing sweeps if you assist there.
dcz702
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 4 2013, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be doing a Vchat session tomorrow, I can show you my way of playing sweeps if you assist there.

im going to try to make that! my work schedule keeps me from getting to most vchats dry.gif , bummer. but i work late tomorrow so hopefully my girl doesnt make me do stuff wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.