Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caelumamittendum's Bootcamp!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Todd Simpson
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Todd Simpson
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

After that, you will proceed to play each example in each mission and submit them all for MISSION DEBRIEF!!!

Here is your link your personal training ground/HELL!

http://bitly.com/cmansbootcamp

Practice!
Todd
Storm Linnebjerg
Alright, Todd, here we go. This is just from having looked at the lesson shortly today. I wouldn't mind going even further back to 60 bpm, working my way up, but this was 80, 100, 120 and finally 130 bpm. There are some bumps in the road here and there, and with a little more practice I could surely be pushing it more:

Throw at me what you got, I don't mind harsh critique smile.gif

EDIT: I played it a bit higher up the neck and jumping around in a pattern, but if you want me to I can throw a video up of playing it with F and F# on the low E. Or a random jumps video. Your call.
Todd Simpson
BINGO!!!!!!! Soldier you just KRUSHED Mission One with a HIGH DEGREE OF PRECISION AND MALICIOUS INTENT!!!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Clean Strikes
2.)Even Pacing and Progression
3.)Good right hand position, planted on the bridge.

You Sir have just earned your first MISSION BADGE!!!!

In short Soldier, you just drew FIRST BLOOD and ...

!!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 8 2013, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright, Todd, here we go. This is just from having looked at the lesson shortly today. I wouldn't mind going even further back to 60 bpm, working my way up, but this was 80, 100, 120 and finally 130 bpm. There are some bumps in the road here and there, and with a little more practice I could surely be pushing it more:

Throw at me what you got, I don't mind harsh critique smile.gif

EDIT: I played it a bit higher up the neck and jumping around in a pattern, but if you want me to I can throw a video up of playing it with F and F# on the low E. Or a random jumps video. Your call.
Storm Linnebjerg
Very nice, Sir! What's my next mission?
Todd Simpson
Soldier, you will plow, fight and scrape your way through the examples in each and every lesson in my Bootcamp Training Series of Death.

You just completed MISSION 1, now on to MISSION (Lesson) 2!! These lower lessons have very few examples to master, once you reach a certain point much further on, you will need to master 6 or 7 examples for each Mission. But let's start small and work our way up!!!

All the Missions (lessons) can be found here.

http://bit.ly/twtgmc

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 9 2013, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice, Sir! What's my next mission?

Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 11 2013, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Soldier, you will plow, fight and scrape your way through the examples in each and every lesson in my Bootcamp Training Series of Death.

You just completed MISSION 1, now on to MISSION (Lesson) 2!! These lower lessons have very few examples to master, once you reach a certain point much further on, you will need to master 6 or 7 examples for each Mission. But let's start small and work our way up!!!

All the Missions (lessons) can be found here.

http://bit.ly/twtgmc

Aye, sir! Got it!
Storm Linnebjerg

Hit the wall at 230 bpm....or before probably.
Todd Simpson
You've got some really good precision/speed here soldier!!!!! I"m gonna push you a bit here and make you earn the crap out of it. Try this using DOUBLE PICK (slow down a bit if needed to keep it clean) and the DREADED (QUAD PICK - Four Strikes Per Note)

Knock this out and you've crushed it and will be ready to LEVEL UP!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 12 2013, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hit the wall at 230 bpm....or before probably.

Storm Linnebjerg
Fair enough. I'll take the challenge in full stride and get it done tonight!
Storm Linnebjerg
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you mean:

On the first round with single picking, I think I might have started not on the 1st beat with the metronome. Oops!
Todd Simpson
BINGO!!!!! Soldier, after seeing your playing in the Collab I have high expectation and you just met them!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Doubles!!! Quads!!
2.)Solid Techniques on all fronts, right hand, left hand, picking, synch, nice!
3.)Keeping Good right hand position, planted on the bridge.

You Sir have just earned your SECOND MISSION BADGE!!!!

and ...

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 13 2013, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you mean:

On the first round with single picking, I think I might have started not on the 1st beat with the metronome. Oops!
Storm Linnebjerg
Here's lesson 3, Sir, singled, doubled and quaded!

Todd Simpson
This is GREAT SOLDIER!!! But I've seen you SHRED in our Collab!!! I know you have more AFTERBURNER in that right arm!!!! You've got the picking down cold, I want you to push it to the edge just before you lose control of it. See if you can take your DOUBLE and QUAD pick Metronome speed HIGHER!!! Keep it tight, but push it fast enough to be at the very edge of your ability!!!

SARGE

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2013, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's lesson 3, Sir, singled, doubled and quaded!

Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 18 2013, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is GREAT SOLDIER!!! But I've seen you SHRED in our Collab!!! I know you have more AFTERBURNER in that right arm!!!! You've got the picking down cold, I want you to push it to the edge just before you lose control of it. See if you can take your DOUBLE and QUAD pick Metronome speed HIGHER!!! Keep it tight, but push it fast enough to be at the very edge of your ability!!!

SARGE

+20bpm, at 240 bpm it begins to fall apart with the doubles and the quads. Just look at the face during the doubles!

Todd Simpson
Now your talking Soldier!! I can see by the look of outright PAIN on your face that you are EARNING THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF IT!!!!

That's what I like to see!!! I knew you could push it a bit more Soldier, I knew you could do it!!!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Killer Doubles!!
2.)Killer Quads!!!
3.)Keeping Good right hand position, planted on the bridge.

In short, your technique remains very solid. I"m glad to see you pushing the envelope. This is where real progress happens!! keep DRILLING AND KILLING Soldier!!!

You Sir have just earned your THIRD MISSION BADGE!!!!

and ...

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2013, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+20bpm, at 240 bpm it begins to fall apart with the doubles and the quads. Just look at the face during the doubles!

Storm Linnebjerg
Double trouble!

Todd Simpson
Good to see you earning the crap out of it Soldier!! I can tell from the look on your face that you are having quite the good time smile.gif Earning it!!!!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Look at those Doubles!!
2.)Check those Quads!!!
3.)Maintaining a good right hand position through the entire Battle!

Soldier, I saw you fall off the wagon a couple of times toward the end, but honestly, that was well after you had more than done enough to earn your next Mission Badge!!! I know how fun these MULTIPICK workouts can be! It's hard to stop once you start! I can tell that you LOVE these things so the good news is there are plenty more!!!

In short, ...

You Sir have just earned your FOURTH MISSION BADGE!!!!

and ...

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 21 2013, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Double trouble!

Storm Linnebjerg
Struggling at higher speeds sad.gif

Todd Simpson
Slow it down a bit Soldier!!! I just want to see you play near the edge of your ability. Take the speed back so that you can play and feel confident, but it should not feel "Easy". You should be focusing and playing near the edge of what you can manage.

But I DO NOT want you to play OVER that edge to where you are not confident in your ability. I just wanna see you earn it!! Whatever speed that is, will be just fine smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 26 2013, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Struggling at higher speeds sad.gif

Storm Linnebjerg
Todd Simpson
Well fought Soldier!!!!!!!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Pushing the edge!!
2.)Very Tight Multipicking!!!
3.)Blood on the fretboard!!!

This is what I like to see Soldier!! You really are earning it!! You are playing near the edge of your ability and still playing with confidence and skill. Very nicely done on the picking and the right hand palm mute. You are gathering all the bits together and really making strides in your playing!

In short, ...

You Sir have just earned your FIFTH MISSION BADGE!!!!

and ...

Click to view attachment

Storm Linnebjerg
A rough stretch of Danish autumn/winter time had loosing my grip a bit. I'm fighting back now though!

120, 140, 160, 180, 185, 180.

Todd Simpson
Welcome back to the fight Soldier!!! I continue to be impressed with your playing. You have some really solid technique and I think you are going to make HUGE strides in your playing as you continue to work!

I think you have this NAILED and from your playing in Vid Chat I must say I think you are ready for the DREADED, FEARED and LOATHED.......

DOUBLE PICKED VERSION OF THIS CRAZY LICK!!!!!!

I could tell you wanted to volunteer for this Special Op but needed a bit of a push, so here it is!!!!!

1.)Play this lick at Speed using DOUBLE PICKING (every note, every single note, doubled)

You on the verge of DRILLING AND KILLING Soldier!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 29 2013, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A rough stretch of Danish autumn/winter time had loosing my grip a bit. I'm fighting back now though!

120, 140, 160, 180, 185, 180.

Storm Linnebjerg
This is not the face of boredom, it's the face of extreme concentration. I start to lose it around 120 bpm, if not before. Right now after having played it a hundred times, I lose it around 110 bpm already. This video is at 115, 117, 119, 121 bpm.

Todd Simpson
Well fought Soldier!!! I can tell you played this until your fingers bled!!! I can see you played this so much in fact your brain stopped feeding information to your face!!! That's earning it!!!! You had a couple of small blips here and there but that's small potatoes Soldier!! You KRUSHED IT!!!
Let's Debrief!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)GoodClean Strikes
No SLOP, pure KILL
2.)Double Pick
The downfall of many a bootcamper!
3.)Great hand synch
Right and Left in Perfect Killing Grace!

In short you just.....

!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!

Click to view attachment

Fight On Soldier!!!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 30 2013, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is not the face of boredom, it's the face of extreme concentration. I start to lose it around 120 bpm, if not before. Right now after having played it a hundred times, I lose it around 110 bpm already. This video is at 115, 117, 119, 121 bpm.

Storm Linnebjerg
Here's the next lesson at 130 bpm with singles, doubles and quads. That is the highest I've been able to push it to.

Todd Simpson
NICE!!!! This is some fine playing Soldier!!! You have great precision, your picking is very synched up, and some brisk speed!!

I think you are ready to spread your wings a bit Soldier!!! Take everything you are doing and move it around the neck. Try playing this bit very low on the fretboard to force our pinky to come in to play and feel the stretch!!! Then play in the middle, etc. In short, bounce around the neck to show you can "stick the landing" leaving no gaps in between each run through of the bit. Make sense? Play it at 12th, then 5th, then 1st fret, etc.

And you will then be ready to LEVEL UP!!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 13 2013, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's the next lesson at 130 bpm with singles, doubles and quads. That is the highest I've been able to push it to.

Storm Linnebjerg

Apologies for the low volume!
Todd Simpson
Nice one Soldier!!! You continue to impress with your blood thirsty aggressive playing style!!!

Let's debrief!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)All Over The Neck!!
2.)Never Misses a Beat!!
3.)Earning It, Pushing the Edge!!

I knew you could do it Soldier!! You are heading in to the tall weeds here in a bit. Prepare yourself!!

In short, ...

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 18 2013, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apologies for the low volume!

Storm Linnebjerg
Something stirs in the midst of a battlefield laden with nothing but death and destruction...

Todd Simpson
There he is!! I thought the war had claimed you, but it's good to see you back in the fight!!! I'll give this mission and debrief!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 22 2014, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something stirs in the midst of a battlefield laden with nothing but death and destruction...

Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 22 2014, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There he is!! I thought the war had claimed you, but it's good to see you back in the fight!!! I'll give this mission and debrief!

I have arisen from the dead and am not giving in without a fight!
Todd Simpson
Welcome back Soldier!!! Been sharpening your teeth for the final assault it seems!! Let's debrief.

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Aggressive style and tone
2.)Precise Picking and fretting
3.)Multi-picking like there is no tomorrow!

Great to see you have unleashed the beast!!! Wolfman, in short, you just....

Click to view attachment

Congrats!! Now this is no time to rest on your laurels and eat the kill, it's time to take on the ritual hunt and draw fresh blood!!!!!

Sarge
Todd Simpson
LEVEL 8 is a serious achievement in BOOTCAMP Soldier!! You are ready for MISSION 9!!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 22 2014, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have arisen from the dead and am not giving in without a fight!

Storm Linnebjerg
I'm back for blood with a new weapon of mass destruction!

Todd Simpson
NICE!!! Not only did you freaking KRUSH the Mission, you brought in the DOOMSLAYER 8 String Just for extra Blood!!! Nice smile.gif

I applaud your aggressive approach and playing Soldier! let's debrief!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Blitzkrieg Speed and Steadiness
2.)Planted Right Hand
3.)All around aggressive approach and style while not sacrificing precision.

to put it simply, you just.....

!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!

Soldier you really killed it!!! You are more than ready to face MISSION 10!!!!
Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 12 2014, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm back for blood with a new weapon of mass destruction!

Storm Linnebjerg
Here's a go at the next level:

Todd Simpson
NICE!!!!! Soldier!! This stuff is TOO EASY For you!!!!! Tell you what. Let's RAISE THE BAR!!!

Take this lick and MARCH IT UP THE NECK!!!

Also, do one pass with ..........

QUAD PICKING!!!!!!!!!

and you will be ready to BADGE UP!!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 19 2014, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a go at the next level:

Storm Linnebjerg
Aye, Sir! It's on! I shall return from the battle in victorious style!
Storm Linnebjerg
Here's a go at it:

Todd Simpson
DRILLING AND KILLING!!! Soldier you are EN FUEGO!!!!!!!! As a bonus, you are playing an 8 string guitar with a long scale length, making all of this more challenging. WELL DONE!!!! Let's debrief.

I applaud your aggressive style and playing Soldier!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Nice Streeeetch!!
2.)Perfection on the picking
3.)Aggressive style and tone

!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!

*Bonus Honors: In recognition of your effort, you have been awarded the "Precision" mark with cluster (Legion of Honor) on your Badge.

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 20 2014, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a go at it:

Storm Linnebjerg
Man, I did not and do not enjoy this one on the 27"!

Todd Simpson
Nicely Done!!!! Soldier, you are simply on a rip and shred mission from beyond!!!! I love it!! Keep it going!!

That had to be a challenge on thhat 27 in scale neck!!!! But you pulled it off with flying colors!!!

Let's Debrief!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Perfect Timing!
2.)Aggressive Picking!
3.)Solid Palm Muting!

!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!! Solder, you are ONE LEVEL AWAY FROM THE DOUBLE CHEVRON!!! Very, Very, Very few folks have made it this far. Usually Soldiers fall away right at mission 12. I have high hopes that you will fight through it Soldier!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 23 2014, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, I did not and do not enjoy this one on the 27"!

Storm Linnebjerg
Here's the next one:

Todd Simpson
Well fought Soldier!!! This is a CRUCIAL lick in the BOOTCAMP process and you've got it NAILED!!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)DOUBLE PICKING!!!
2.)Tight Hand Synch
3.)Great right hand muting and control

Soldier!!! You have just .....

!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 30 2014, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's the next one:

Todd Simpson
You've got great momentum SOLDIER!! DON"T STOP NOW!!

Storm Linnebjerg

Here we go again!
Todd Simpson
There is a STORM coming!!!!! Pun intended smile.gif Well fought Soldier!!!! Big props for throwing in the DOUBLE PICKING!!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)DOUBLE PICKING!!!
2.)MILITARY PRECISION
3.)IMPRESSIVE SPEED

In short soldier, YOU NAILED IT!! Palm Mute is perfect and your timing is spot on. You just CRUSHED IT!!!

Soldier!!! You have just .....

!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 10 2015, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here we go again!

Storm Linnebjerg
Really struggling with this one as an avid alternate picker:

Todd Simpson
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!! ECON PICKING can be a serious struggle of the damned at first. But it's worth it!! You've got really good technique here and really good timing and I like your guitar too smile.gif

However, I know you've got WADS of fight in you that we are not seeing in this video so in addition to the ECON version, I want you to DOUBLE and yes TRIPLE PICK this to show your AGGRESSIVE STYLE!!!!! You've got the ECON bit nailed!!!! ONCE MORE IN TO THE BREACH!!!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 4 2015, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really struggling with this one as an avid alternate picker:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.