Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Reviews
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Wiki and Reviews > Gear Reviews
Smikey2006
Hey GMCers
I'm on a quest to start reviewing more equiptment and bringing GMC some quality reviews on the products they are looking for or weren't looking for.. but will know after i review it biggrin.gif. I am looking for suggestions to make my reviews better, ideas for reviews. Things to include all that jazz smile.gif. So far ive reviewed a couple of couple of guitars and mesa amps but before i do anymore id like some sugestions so that i can bring the best possible reviews to GMC. Thanks guys!
bmh1109
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jul 4 2007, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey GMCers
I'm on a quest to start reviewing more equiptment and bringing GMC some quality reviews on the products they are looking for or weren't looking for.. but will know after i review it biggrin.gif. I am looking for suggestions to make my reviews better, ideas for reviews. Things to include all that jazz smile.gif. So far ive reviewed a couple of couple of guitars and mesa amps but before i do anymore id like some sugestions so that i can bring the best possible reviews to GMC. Thanks guys!

I was thinking about updating my review with a numerical style scoring system like Layzer did with his Showmaster review. I think if we all stick to a 0-10 scale with 10 obviously being the better rating, It could help make referencing different reviews alot quicker. However this will really only be helpful if all reviews are done objectively. That way after get enough review we could possibly pool them into some sort of database/ chart that can be referenced by scores in each area. Just some ideas for now.
The Uncreator
We need an outline basically, something like this.

--Picture Of Equipment
--Make
--Model
--Playing Style (What you suggest its good for)
--Price

_ _ _ _ _ _

--Sound: (0-10) Then right where youre reading this, have the review for the sounds

--Feel: (0-10) The here you would have the review for the sounds

And that woudl continue for all the subjects you would like to cover, if you want to get real into with a guitar, you could have seperate "Review Sections" for the neck, pickups, feel, sounds, Versatility and whatever else you think of. and that can apply to pedals, amps, mics ect.
MickeM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 5 2007, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We need an outline basically, something like this.

--Picture Of Equipment
--Make
--Model
--Playing Style (What you suggest its good for)
--Price

_ _ _ _ _ _

--Sound: (0-10) Then right where youre reading this, have the review for the sounds

--Feel: (0-10) The here you would have the review for the sounds

And that woudl continue for all the subjects you would like to cover, if you want to get real into with a guitar, you could have seperate "Review Sections" for the neck, pickups, feel, sounds, Versatility and whatever else you think of. and that can apply to pedals, amps, mics ect.

I wonder if Henrik can make a template to use for each subject? Or just keep the template as a sticky to copy and paste.
I think it's a good suggestion, so everyone keep the same format and cover the same areas.
Smikey2006
That would make it alot easier biggrin.gif if we had like a sure template.. perhaps a different template for guitars and amps and then effects, cables? picks? and then just a general template... anyone got any requests for reviews too.. i wanna write 1 but im not sure what on ohmy.gif
MickeM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jul 6 2007, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would make it alot easier biggrin.gif if we had like a sure template.. perhaps a different template for guitars and amps and then effects, cables? picks? and then just a general template... anyone got any requests for reviews too.. i wanna write 1 but im not sure what on ohmy.gif

You could write a couple that I think would be interesting. biggrin.gif On your Krank and your Jackson Soloist
Hardtail
The only problem with a template is that there is no way it can cover everything. For instance a Solid state amp isn't going to have the same things reviewed exactly as a Tube amp would. Would we have a template for SS Amps, Tube Amps, Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Effect machines, Pedals, Miscellaneous (like tuners etc.), Rack systems, Power Blocks, etc.... It could get crazy and each of those categories require different aspects to be reviewed.

I have read thru all the reviews in this section and some are Very good and others are practically just opinions from people who haven't really played anything else (no offense) or even played it AT ALL!

I think pure opinion reviews are excellently Cataloged at Harmony-Central and there isn't really any need to add to that here. I'd like to see reviews that are of a higher quality and actually tell you something or better yet TEACH you something about the instrument you may not have learned from review sites like Harmony Central.

Good Reviews that fit this criteria are:
Smikeys Schecter C-1 Review
bmh1109's Ibanez 2570e Review
Andrew's Jem 7vwh Review
Hardtail's Line6 Flextone II Review Yeah I know.....

So by analyzing reviews like the ones I mentioned you come across some distinct similarities and I think these similarities should be present in ANY review that is done for this site to achieve the highest quality possible. They are:

1) Reviewer owns the device being reviewed. It would also be okay if say a friend owns the device but you have borrowed it for an extensive period of time and have had at least a few days to seriously learn and explore it. No more reviews on what you THINK it would be like please. wink.gif

2) Reviewer reviews a device that is used within his or her style. In other words, they are writing from experience with that style. Instead of say a blues person trying to review a Flying V with hot EMG's.

3) Reviewer provides ACTUAL photos. This is very important to me because manufacturer photos are always airbrushed up and brightened and don't really reflect what it will look like in real life.

4) Reviewer provides price paid.

These should be guidelines for every reviewer in my opinion. I will review my Fender Stratocaster this coming week and will try to review it with what I would like to see from other reviewers. And remember, it's just my opinion. biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Hardtail
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jul 7 2007, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem with a template is that there is no way it can cover everything. For instance a Solid state amp isn't going to have the same things reviewed exactly as a Tube amp would. Would we have a template for SS Amps, Tube Amps, Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Effect machines, Pedals, Miscellaneous (like tuners etc.), Rack systems, Power Blocks, etc.... It could get crazy and each of those categories require different aspects to be reviewed.

I have read thru all the reviews in this section and some are Very good and others are practically just opinions from people who haven't really played anything else (no offense) or even played it AT ALL!

I think pure opinion reviews are excellently Cataloged at Harmony-Central and there isn't really any need to add to that here. I'd like to see reviews that are of a higher quality and actually tell you something or better yet TEACH you something about the instrument you may not have learned from review sites like Harmony Central.

Good Reviews that fit this criteria are:
Smikeys Schecter C-1 Review
bmh1109's Ibanez 2570e Review
Andrew's Jem 7vwh Review
Hardtail's Line6 Flextone II Review Yeah I know.....

So by analyzing reviews like the ones I mentioned you come across some distinct similarities and I think these similarities should be present in ANY review that is done for this site to achieve the highest quality possible. They are:

1) Reviewer owns the device being reviewed. It would also be okay if say a friend owns the device but you have borrowed it for an extensive period of time and have had at least a few days to seriously learn and explore it. No more reviews on what you THINK it would be like please. wink.gif

2) Reviewer reviews a device that is used within his or her style. In other words, they are writing from experience with that style. Instead of say a blues person trying to review a Flying V with hot EMG's.

3) Reviewer provides ACTUAL photos. This is very important to me because manufacturer photos are always airbrushed up and brightened and don't really reflect what it will look like in real life.

These should be guidelines for every reviewer in my opinion. I will review my Fender Stratocaster this coming week and will try to review it with what I would like to see from other reviewers. And remember, it's just my opinion. biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Hardtail

Great post Hardtail - I agree with all your points, especially the one about the reviewer owning the device to be reviewed. Also some good points from the other posters.

Any other poimts anyone? I think this makes a good basis for the reviews, and maybe we should write a sticky for the reviews forum.
Resurrection
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 7 2007, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great post Hardtail - I agree with all your points, especially the one about the reviewer owning the device to be reviewed. Also some good points from the other posters.

Any other poimts anyone? I think this makes a good basis for the reviews, and maybe we should write a sticky for the reviews forum.

I'm just thinking that guitar magazines and the like often list alternative equipment for the item being reviewed. I often find this useful to know what other equipment to research and compare against the reviewed item. Similarly if there are add-ons, accessories or other equipment that is compatible or "works well" with the reviewed item, then that's often good to know too.

I don't know if it should be mandatory for reviewers to make these lists in their reviews, but perhaps making it a recommendation in the "reviewers guidelines" might be useful?
MickeM
Very good Hardtail, but complicating things too much will also lose the fun and render reviewing difficult.
I'll comment a few of your points which I think are good point in general but maybe not always reasonable.

QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jul 7 2007, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree on that point. I think it's great information to know that Flying V with hot EMG's don't fit blues. As long as I know the reviewers preferences and what he or she tries to achive.
In general I find too many reviews being too positive but since we're not a magazine depending on manufaturer ads we dare to.

I could review stuff I've used before but no longer own. And I don't have actual photos of them either and this is a point where the fun is lost on my part. I think it's a hassle with cameras and to transmit photos to the computer and for that matter, if I were to review my present stuff I'd have to go to the rehearsal rooms to take photos... nah. I will upload my own picture if possible, if I never come to that I will use one from the manufacturer.
The reason I havn't made any reviews on my stuff is because I wanted to apply sound clips of the H&K Switchblade and also the Peavey but I haven't come to that yet.... also a hassle with miking things up.
But I'm not objecting to real photos, I'm just saying don't make too many demands on a review since at least I will think it loses it's fun.

These should be guidelines for every reviewer in my opinion. I will review my Fender Stratocaster this coming week and will try to review it with what I would like to see from other reviewers. And remember, it's just my opinion.

Just be aware prices will differ a LOT between the one side of the puddle and the other. There can be a 100% increase of price for something made in the US and sold in the US compared to Sweden. And the other way around (but not 100% in that direction) with ENGL f.ex which americans find expensive.
So entering a price will not say that much unless you're aware, when reading it, that it can differ a lot and you have to know which brands differ more and which differ less.

So, I still think templates are good, DON'T complicate them (like separating solid state amps from tube amps) but leave some space for the reviewer instead of keeping a strict form.
Kristofer Dahl
Good points here!

I actually agree both with hardtails points - but also with MickeM's statement that you shouldn't complicate things (less is more, I live by that!). I hope this doesn't make me schizophrenic! blink.gif

Looking forward to some great reviews!

Kris smile.gif

Good points here!

I actually agree both with hardtails points - but also with MickeM's statement that you shouldn't complicate things (less is more, I live by that!). I hope this doesn't make me schizophrenic! blink.gif

Kris smile.gif
JVM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 8 2007, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good points here!

Kris smile.gif

Good points here!

Kris smile.gif

I'm having a hard time telling if that was meant to be a joke about your schizophrenia or just a typo tongue.gif
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 9 2007, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm having a hard time telling if that was meant to be a joke about your schizophrenia or just a typo tongue.gif

Jee this is a sign! blink.gif I'm doomed!
KloCkWorXx
im gonna do a review on my talkbox.. everyone should have one!! lol
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (KloCkWorXx @ Jan 26 2008, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im gonna do a review on my talkbox.. everyone should have one!! lol

Ahhh,you shouldn't say that,now I must login into eBay laugh.gif laugh.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Well, I use harmony Central review questions as a general guideline, and and some of my own stuff on it, including a picture. It always came out decent. Try and experiment, and you'll get the hang of it.
My trouble is that I don't have much gear left to review, so I'll slow down a little. laugh.gif
KloCkWorXx
QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 25 2008, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahhh,you shouldn't say that,now I must login into eBay laugh.gif laugh.gif

haha i begged my girlfriend for one for my birthday, haha she did good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.