Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cool Plugins I Discovered + Tips For Newbies
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
sammetal92
Beware, long post tongue.gif

I came across a few very good plugins yesterday but I was too lazy to try them, so I was warming up (after getting the advice from my previous thread tongue.gif ) and I thought why not try some new stuff for my tone biggrin.gif So I tried them, and they sound awesome! And that's a pretty rare thing for me smile.gif

Oh and I also discovered something for myself; I don't really need Gain on my amps to get distortion... I was recording metal with my amp sims and I just put them on the dirty channel with the gain at 0 and I swear it was still distorted as hell but the hiss/noise was significantly less. So just as a tip for people just getting into recording, do not set the gain at full, just turn up the volume of the amp on the dirty/OD channel and see if it works for you, and if it doesn't, increase the gain slowly, never turn it all the way up, it'll just be a pain smile.gif This is especially true for rhythm guitar recording because (according to me) we layer our guitar tracks, so it makes them sound more full and more powerful. Adding more gain makes you lose your tone.

Onto the plugins then!

Before I start, some of the new people who are interested in some home recording and music production came to me for advice, and the common opinion among all of them was that the paid plugins are always way better than free ones. Not true. I use Guitar Rig, Amplitube 3 (paid) and Overloud TH2, and while they are of really good quality (especially TH2, I love it), any tone that paid plugins can give you, you can get that tone with free plugins. The only difference is, paid plugins come with a lot of presets, and some of them like the ones I discussed above, are all-in-one, amps, pedals, EQs, cabs etc. To be honest, I've gotten better tones with free plugins and less experimentation than using Guitar Rig. Feel free to comment if you disagree smile.gif

The Classic Tone Bundle - AcmeBarGig

If you're into classic rock and stuff, this thing comes packed with amp heads and is meant to provide tone similar to old school music. I'm into classic rock, so this was a treat biggrin.gif oh and its free, the whole bundle. Get it here: http://www.acmebargig.com/downloads/classic-tone-bundle/

Preampus Metal Bundle - AcmeBarGig

This bundle consists of all of AcmeBarGig's Preampus Metal amp heads (and weirdly, I'm using one of them and it doesn't require an impulse loader... hmm I don't know). I've only tried one of them, and its amazing! You have a separate "Drive Amp" with that amp, which colors the drive. Also comes with loads of presets to get you started. I'm expecting the others to be the same, will check them out once I'm home smile.gif again, the bundle is free. Get it here: http://www.acmebargig.com/downloads/preampus-metal-line

RedShift Pickup Replacer - AcmeBarGig

Okay this is the plugin that caught my eye. Pickup replacer? Really? But yes, it works amazingly well, it has EQ settings of 16 or so pickups that you can put at the very front of your effects chain. I love the Dimebag pickups and the "Invasion" one. I just put this on top, put a low pass at 100Hz or so, put an expander and then use one of the Preampus metal amps, and it works really well!. Free also! Get it here: http://www.acmebargig.com/downloads/redshift

Cabinet Enhancer - AcmeBarGig

This is an impulse loader with a lot of stuff that generally impulse loaders don't have (at least the ones I tried didn't smile.gif ). These features are supposed to "add a new dimension to Impulse Response files, adding back some of that live sound that gets lost in generation." Well, it does sound pretty epic and way better than some of the impulse loaders I've used, so I guess its great smile.gif Free! Get it here: http://www.acmebargig.com/downloads/cab-enhancer/

Aftershock (Delay) - AcmeBarGig

I'm not a huge fan of delay, I just use a subtle amount of delay just to round off my tone and to get that little filled up live sound quality. I haven't tried this yet, but since all of the other AcmeBarGig plugins are so wonderful, why wouldn't this be? smile.gif Free free free! Get it here: http://www.acmebargig.com/downloads/aftershock/

Pro-Q Equalizer - FabFilter

This is the only paid plugin, and they offer a trial version, which I'm using. This is like your regular EQ with some colors. But the thing that makes it special is it can isolate any amount of frequencies. Meaning you can put a boundary around the frequencies you want to hear, and it'll let only those frequencies through, all the other frequencies will be muted smile.gif Useful when you want to find a particular frequency range to be either made more prominent or less. Trial available here: http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q-equalizer-plug-in

I will post a clip of me using some of the plugins I discussed and their settings plus my effects chain after I get home smile.gif

Feel free to ask, disagree or agree with me tongue.gif I'm just a beginner in the music production field and I try to help all other new people out, so I can use all the help I can get smile.gif

EDIT: Here's the settings I used on the sample at the bottom of the post:

Lead Guitar:

Rhythm Guitars:

Here's the sample:

https://soundcloud.com/sam-ryan-stormrage/new-amps-soundtest
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Sam. This is a very interesting thread. I think that your comments about setting amps with not too much drive and the comparison between paid software and free ones are very precise and helpful for everybody here that wants to start experimenting but also for the ones that want to improve their tones in their recordings. Thanks for taking the time to make this helpful post. smile.gif
Darius Wave
Thanks for taking the time to post such a useful and detailed review smile.gif Seems like I need to spend some time on trying those smile.gif
Taka Perry
What a write up! Thank for this. I'm a big fan of AcmeBarGig too, if you're willing to pay $70 for their paid product, that's another great one smile.gif also it is very true that people use more gain than they need.
Mertay
Acmebargig made a lot of noise in the plug-in world when they first started, it was a place where amator or pro programmers shared their works for free.

After a short while the attention was so strong they started making more selected plug-in as the one's sammetal92 shared. They also started a payware program (headcase) that was very affordable and sounded very good (had a sound that was easy to blend in the mix).

The genius was that users could create and share amps by only using jpeg format biggrin.gif but as always when money starts to get serious the 2 partners had an ugly fight and today I have no idea if the product is continued.

I actually forgot about those while experimenting with newer chain, will try them again biggrin.gif
Timmy b
Nice work Sam!
I'm really interested in this topic! I've started experimenting with this for a while now and gotten pretty good results with the "Poulin" range along with a few others! Im excited to check these out!

Thanks for posting and thanks for going to the trouble of helping others getting started, as it can be quite daunting at first!

Tim
sammetal92
Thank you all so much for such an amazing response biggrin.gif I don't really get time for music related stuff during my uni. Since my semester just ended and there's a few days off before the next semester starts, I will dedicate this time to my music smile.gif specially since me and my friends are doing a classic and metal fusion cover of a pop song, so I'm trying to experiment as much as I can.

I wasn't active during my uni, and I'm trying to make up for it now, any experimentation I'm gonna do and anything I come up with, you guys'll be the first ones to know cool.gif as always tongue.gif

I'm still working on that little clip I promised, I forgot how to write lead melodies AGAIN laugh.gif so just a bit before I show you guys the clip smile.gif Thanks for not being mad at me for making so many topics tongue.gif
Todd Simpson
Great post wink.gif Post some recording samples and such to let us hear what you are doing with these! smile.gif Good advice also not to ROOF the gain right away. Especially on tube amp sims, it just wrecks the tone IMHO.

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jan 15 2014, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beware, long post tongue.gif

I came across a few very good plugins yesterday but I was too lazy to try them, so I was warming up (after getting the advice from my previous thread tongue.gif ) and I thought why not try some new stuff for my tone biggrin.gif So I tried them, and they sound awesome! And that's a pretty rare thing for me smile.gif

Oh and I also discovered something for myself; I don't really need Gain on my amps to get distortion... I was recording metal with my amp sims and I just put them on the dirty channel with the gain at 0 and I swear it was still distorted as hell but the hiss/noise was significantly less. So just as a tip for people just getting into recording, do not set the gain at full, just turn up the volume of the amp on the dirty/OD channel and see if it works for you, and if it doesn't, increase the gain slowly, never turn it all the way up, it'll just be a pain smile.gif This is especially true for rhythm guitar recording because (according to me) we layer our guitar tracks, so it makes them sound more full and more powerful. Adding more gain makes you lose your tone.

Onto the plugins then!

Before I start, some of the new people who are interested in some home recording and music production came to me for advice, and the common opinion among all of them was that the paid plugins are always way better than free ones. Not true. I use Guitar Rig, Amplitube 3 (paid) and Overloud TH2, and while they are of really good quality (especially TH2, I love it), any tone that paid plugins can give you, you can get that tone with free plugins. The only difference is, paid plugins come with a lot of presets, and some of them like the ones I discussed above, are all-in-one, amps, pedals, EQs, cabs etc. To be honest, I've gotten better tones with free plugins and less experimentation than using Guitar Rig. Feel free to comment if you disagree smile.gif

The Classic Tone Bundle - AcmeBarGig

If you're into classic rock and stuff, this thing comes packed with amp heads and is meant to provide tone similar to old school music. I'm into classic rock, so this was a treat biggrin.gif oh and its free, the whole bundle. Get it here: http://www.acmebargig.com/downloads/classic-tone-bundle/

Preampus Metal Bundle - AcmeBarGig

This bundle consists of all of AcmeBarGig's Preampus Metal amp heads (and weirdly, I'm using one of them and it doesn't require an impulse loader... hmm I don't know). I've only tried one of them, and its amazing! You have a separate "Drive Amp" with that amp, which colors the drive. Also comes with loads of presets to get you started. I'm expecting the others to be the same, will check them out once I'm home smile.gif again, the bundle is free. Get it here: http://www.acmebargig.com/downloads/preampus-metal-line

RedShift Pickup Replacer - AcmeBarGig

Okay this is the plugin that caught my eye. Pickup replacer? Really? But yes, it works amazingly well, it has EQ settings of 16 or so pickups that you can put at the very front of your effects chain. I love the Dimebag pickups and the "Invasion" one. I just put this on top, put a low pass at 100Hz or so, put an expander and then use one of the Preampus metal amps, and it works really well!. Free also! Get it here: http://www.acmebargig.com/downloads/redshift

Cabinet Enhancer - AcmeBarGig

This is an impulse loader with a lot of stuff that generally impulse loaders don't have (at least the ones I tried didn't smile.gif ). These features are supposed to "add a new dimension to Impulse Response files, adding back some of that live sound that gets lost in generation." Well, it does sound pretty epic and way better than some of the impulse loaders I've used, so I guess its great smile.gif Free! Get it here: http://www.acmebargig.com/downloads/cab-enhancer/

Aftershock (Delay) - AcmeBarGig

I'm not a huge fan of delay, I just use a subtle amount of delay just to round off my tone and to get that little filled up live sound quality. I haven't tried this yet, but since all of the other AcmeBarGig plugins are so wonderful, why wouldn't this be? smile.gif Free free free! Get it here: http://www.acmebargig.com/downloads/aftershock/

Pro-Q Equalizer - FabFilter

This is the only paid plugin, and they offer a trial version, which I'm using. This is like your regular EQ with some colors. But the thing that makes it special is it can isolate any amount of frequencies. Meaning you can put a boundary around the frequencies you want to hear, and it'll let only those frequencies through, all the other frequencies will be muted smile.gif Useful when you want to find a particular frequency range to be either made more prominent or less. Trial available here: http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q-equalizer-plug-in

I will post a clip of me using some of the plugins I discussed and their settings plus my effects chain after I get home smile.gif

Feel free to ask, disagree or agree with me tongue.gif I'm just a beginner in the music production field and I try to help all other new people out, so I can use all the help I can get smile.gif

sammetal92
Yes, I was just working on that biggrin.gif was recording a few samples to show my mate, this is the best one, and this is the one I used my new plugins on smile.gif

I'll update the opening post with the samples and the settings. Here they are:

Lead Guitar:

Click to view attachment

Rhythm Guitars:

Click to view attachment

Also, please tell me if I'm making any errors in my effects chain, or if I can do anything to improve my effects chain. Maybe I'm not ordering my effects right smile.gif

Here's the sample:

https://soundcloud.com/sam-ryan-stormrage/new-amps-soundtest

Hope you like it and hope I've helped someone out a bit! biggrin.gif
Darius Wave
Yes Sam smile.gif You made a great work smile.gif
sammetal92
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 15 2014, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes Sam smile.gif You made a great work smile.gif

Thanks Darius tongue.gif I gained all my mixing training from you so you'd know better how it sounds like biggrin.gif it sounds pretty flat doesn't it? I didn't add the bass guitar yet tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.