Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gmc United Video Collaboration
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Cosmin Lupu
The GMC United Video Collab

We have decided to start a new collab which pays tribute to us, students and instructors - the GMC Community! As usual, Cosmin, Darius and Gabriel are the hosts and guides, so if in any way along the take submission period you feel stuck, please post your feedback in this thread or send us a PM!

-------------------------------------------
BACKING TRACK

This collab is based on Gabriel's Snow Patrol Lesson:
Click to view attachment
Tempo : 100 BPM
Key : A Major
-------------------------------------------

In case anybody is wondering how to enter this collaboration:

1. Download the backing track and open it in your recording software
2. Record your part in the recording software and with your video cam (if you have the possibility to record video).
You can record anything - a short fill part, rhythm based ideas, or a full lead part (solo).
3. Render one track containing your recording only - 16 bit wave file 44,1 kHz
4. Render one track containing both solo and backing track in an .mp3 format
5. Send us your video (preferably in .mp4 format)

As before, you can send us the last 3 files mentioned, using a dropbox link, or any other transfer service you are used to, by posting them in this thread or attaching them to a private message.

If you can't submit a video, you can send us only the audio files and some pictures of you - it will work out great as well!
The more pictures you send, the better will it be for editing in the final video!

When attaching/sending the collab files, please include the source file of the video as well.

Needless to say smile.gif IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER/ ADVANCED/ PRO/ GOD - all styles, approaches and all levels are welcome and you can even play just a short fill if you feel like it!

Bringing your contribution to this track and tribute to the GMC community is what really matters!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collab tips:

As in the previous collabs, we want this one to be as strong as possible, as this will give your playing and progress maximum exposure. So here's what we suggest:

Making short but polished and detailed lines will always give you better results. If you focus on a short part of the backing track, then you will most likely amaze yourself and others! No explicit need to play over the full backing track length, pick any amount of bars you feel most comfortable playing over.

It is always better to come up with something short but catchy or memorable!

Check out these lessons for inspiration:

Major scale phrasing ideas :

Acoustic Solo C Major Lesson

C Major Phrasing

Scales you could use:

A Ionian

A Major Pentatonic

Remember - the only thing we require is that you participate and be yourself - there are no rules, and no limits!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: 28th of February

Participants: Cosmin Lupu, Darius Wave, Gabriel Leopardi, Taka Perry, Monica Gheorghevici, bleez, liveOASISforever, Ulrik, Todd Simpson, Mertay, Doug Lane, SlowFingaX, huargo, wollace03, tflava, Beat Zbinden, jstcrsn, Mertay, Sensible Jones, Palacios, DeGroot, Nava, wrk, WeePee, mroberts70, gregc1, Procyon

Collaboration final mix and comments: click here

Taka Perry
Count me in! Sounds awesome
Monica Gheorghevici

Very cool backing.......and of course I'm in smile.gif

Cosmin Lupu
Alright Taka and Monica biggrin.gif Welcome on board smile.gif
Darius Wave
So here we go with another one smile.gif We hope You all feel more comfortable with this backing track and it's mood, harmony. Feel free to ask for support smile.gif
bleez
wait, it's in 'A Major'? ..... I can only use the minor pentatonic ohmy.gif

Its madness I tell ya but I'll give it a go smile.gif
Taka Perry
QUOTE (bleez @ Feb 1 2014, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Easy, man, you just have to find the relative minor of A major. Count three notes down the scale: A, G#, F#.
So, A major and F# minor have the same notes, so you should be able over it in F# minor pentatonic. smile.gif
liveOASISforever
I really want to take part in these collaborations. I just need to get my confidence up. There is always something that puts me off getting involved whether it be my timing issues, theory knowledge, guitar tone, creating something good to play and recording. I always question what I am doing and make a excuse.I need to man up laugh.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (bleez @ Feb 1 2014, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

smile.gif This should be an interesting ear training exercise - why not start easy - on one string at a time - find the notes of the A major scale:

A B C# D E F# G# A right? And don't think in shapes smile.gif Try to sing a simple melody in the beginning - in your head - and then apply it on the guitar.

What say you?

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Feb 1 2014, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really want to take part in these collaborations. I just need to get my confidence up. There is always something that puts me off getting involved whether it be my timing issues, theory knowledge, guitar tone, creating something good to play and recording. I always question what I am doing and make a excuse.I need to man up laugh.gif

I remember my old Physics professor in highschool - she had a very good saying. Stop thinking about it and get to DOING it smile.gif What do you have to lose? I think you only have something to win wink.gif Deal?
liveOASISforever
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 1 2014, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile.gif This should be an interesting ear training exercise - why not start easy - on one string at a time - find the notes of the A major scale:

A B C# D E F# G# A right? And don't think in shapes smile.gif Try to sing a simple melody in the beginning - in your head - and then apply it on the guitar.

What say you?

I remember my old Physics professor in highschool - she had a very good saying. Stop thinking about it and get to DOING it smile.gif What do you have to lose? I think you only have something to win wink.gif Deal?

You are right Cosmin.I will try and come up with something and see how I get on.Hopefully my fear doesn't get the better of me
Ulrik
Given a month I should also be able to conjure up something!
Todd Simpson
Sounds like fun!! Count me in smile.gif

Todd
Mertay
This backing sounds very good, I like it that you guys are squeezing the creative side of the community smile.gif

A bump from me and add my name to the list, hopefully this time I won't be lazy and enter the last minute biggrin.gif
Doug Lane
I'm also in! This track is simple and bright enough sounding that I think I will go for a more electronic and ambient approach with this one!
Todd Simpson
My video chat today focused on licks that would work with this backing. In case anybody wants to grab some examples or possible bits of chops to get going, here is the link to what we worked on smile.gif Sometimes just getting started on a solo can be the hardest part.

http://bit.ly/gmclesson253

Todd
Cosmin Lupu
Welcome gentlemen! Ulrik, Todd, Mertay and Doug - you are on the list wink.gif
Darius Wave
Bleez - don't worry man - as You already had been said - You can use relative minor scale. all notes from F# minor should work in A-major. Even most of the licks - they will just sound - more happy smile.gif))

Like You See - You will get some support for collaboration in our video chats smile.gif
SlowFingaX
Sounds fun wink.gif

I'm in (even some short part), because there's enough time to learn something more and this kind of things motivates even more wink.gif

I think that february is going to be great month for me and of course all of you guys and girls..maybe first REC and Collab for me....

Some problems with my PC lately, but I'm here and again and I think those windows issues are solved now (tons of bluescreens) wacko.gif maybe too many things at the same time...new drivers...softwares and testing ..how to make...video..audio...and crash bom bom smile.gif but installed everything from the beginning and it's alive again...(it wasn't so easy ....but after some days...). It's always so "fun" to reboot after reboot and thinking... maybe next one is last one....or next one and then everything is ok.... ohmy.gif

Back to this collab...I'm in at least with some short part...maybe some memorable part...amazing...it's possible with so many ways
laugh.gif but most important..it's fun and I'm going to enjoy for the process to find some sounds with my fingers on fretboard for this collab smile.gif (with some Gab's help...it's easier)

Of course everyone can give some nice tips for this one and Cosmin already gave good tips..thanks!

We're gonna ROCK!!! biggrin.gif
SlowFingaX
I already made my first test rec for this collab and I'm happy to get some honest feedback about it smile.gif
Tell anything you think about the sound, idea and everything. I'm a beginner, so I have many technical and speed limits for playing smile.gif
I'm in like I said before smile.gif this is my first collab so I have to ask few things..can I make a few different parts for same collab or just only one?
Still learning so many things at the same time with guitar training...recording (audio and video)...editing.. and try to find out some good sounds from my Boss GT-10..so many buttons and controllers.
Any tips and feedbacks are good for me cool.gif

https://soundcloud.com/slowfingax/firstversion-gmc-united-collab
Huargo
QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Feb 2 2014, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I already made my first test rec for this collab and I'm happy to get some honest feedback about it smile.gif
Tell anything you think about the sound, idea and everything. I'm a beginner, so I have many technical and speed limits for playing smile.gif
I'm in like I said before smile.gif this is my first collab so I have to ask few things..can I make a few different parts for same collab or just only one?
Still learning so many things at the same time with guitar training...recording (audio and video)...editing.. and try to find out some good sounds from my Boss GT-10..so many buttons and controllers.

Good take! you can make some different parts for the collab if you want, or only one, maybe in the video edit don't appears all your take for editing reasons but let us listen to all your creativity if you want.
I remember my fights with imovie and still working in the tone and sound. Amazing trip!! i'll post my take soon!..............................................................

Ok! my take is here!
i use my brand new copy of scuffhamamps for a fast and simple records.
i hope you like.

the files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1btxsg7xmpn5vpd/0B1FXXEkGI

https://soundcloud.com/david-vico-2/the-gmc
https://soundcloud.com/david-vico-2/the-gmc-guitar
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Feb 2 2014, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome first Collab take mate! It's great to see you evolving so fast in different aspects! I think that your take is very promising and we can use it this one and it would be ok! It sounds melodic and fits good with the backing. Now let's go with some suggestions to improve this one or the next ones. I think that you could continue working the melody, doing variations, improving the parts that are less defined if you want to experiment more with this backing. You can also give your playing more feeling, focus on vibrato, and some other techniques like slides, legato and bending. These ones gives our playing more life.

Regarding your tone, it's ok but I would experiment a bit more with EQ, to make it sound "bigger", it sounds a bit weak. You can experiment adding a tube screamer or sustainer to the tone before the amp simulator, and set the "amp" with less drive. Adding some delay to make it sounds bigger can also help.

As you can see, I give you some guidelines but the key is "experimenting".

Thanks for joining this one and congrats for your great job! smile.gif
bleez
Thanks for the scale tips dudes biggrin.gif Im almost turning into an internet meme:
" I dont always play in A major............ but when I do I play in f# minor' smile.gif
Hey Darius, y'know the happiest thing I currently play is your alt picking 2 lesson, I really like playing it but if you do a follow up lesson may I suggest a much sadder / colder version cool.gif
Todd Simpson
BINGO!! smile.gif Adding a boost of some kind in front of nearly any guitar sim can really make it PUNCHY and MEAN. I use a ProTone Bulb Deluxe Overdrive with very little gain, mostly volume and the attack switch. Any overdrive pedal will do. Tube screamer is always a great choice smile.gif

Adding a pinch of delay is another great tip. Just a pinch, maybe set to 120milliseconds or so, and a touch of reverb can really spiff up a given patch. Great tips!!!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 2 2014, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome first Collab take mate! It's great to see you evolving so fast in different aspects! I think that your take is very promising and we can use it this one and it would be ok! It sounds melodic and fits good with the backing. Now let's go with some suggestions to improve this one or the next ones. I think that you could continue working the melody, doing variations, improving the parts that are less defined if you want to experiment more with this backing. You can also give your playing more feeling, focus on vibrato, and some other techniques like slides, legato and bending. These ones gives our playing more life.

Regarding your tone, it's ok but I would experiment a bit more with EQ, to make it sound "bigger", it sounds a bit weak. You can experiment adding a tube screamer or sustainer to the tone before the amp simulator, and set the "amp" with less drive. Adding some delay to make it sounds bigger can also help.

As you can see, I give you some guidelines but the key is "experimenting".

Thanks for joining this one and congrats for your great job! smile.gif
wollace03
I will definitely give this one a try!!

the backing sounds awesome...
Darius Wave
ups...the file is gone ...
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 2 2014, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BINGO!! smile.gif Adding a boost of some kind in front of nearly any guitar sim can really make it PUNCHY and MEAN. I use a ProTone Bulb Deluxe Overdrive with very little gain, mostly volume and the attack switch. Any overdrive pedal will do. Tube screamer is always a great choice smile.gif

Adding a pinch of delay is another great tip. Just a pinch, maybe set to 120milliseconds or so, and a touch of reverb can really spiff up a given patch. Great tips!!!

thanks master! smile.gif
Timmez
I'm also inn smile.gif

We will see what it would be this time.

Grtzz Tim
Darius Wave
Great Tim smile.gif You can post Your very first idea at first so we could give You some feedback smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (huargo @ Feb 2 2014, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good take! you can make some different parts for the collab if you want, or only one, maybe in the video edit don't appears all your take for editing reasons but let us listen to all your creativity if you want.
I remember my fights with imovie and still working in the tone and sound. Amazing trip!! i'll post my take soon!..............................................................

Ok! my take is here!
i use my brand new copy of scuffhamamps for a fast and simple records.
i hope you like.

the files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1btxsg7xmpn5vpd/0B1FXXEkGI

https://soundcloud.com/david-vico-2/the-gmc
https://soundcloud.com/david-vico-2/the-gmc-guitar

Wow, seems like this one is already booming with you guys! biggrin.gif Very nice take man - good dynamics, articulation and melody!

QUOTE (tflava @ Feb 3 2014, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm also inn smile.gif

We will see what it would be this time.

Grtzz Tim

hello Tim - as Darius said - let's go for a first draft and we will be happy to help you from that point forward wink.gif

QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Feb 2 2014, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very nice man smile.gif As Gabi said, you should keep adding elements so that you will gain more dynamic in your playing. A short and sweet solo can make wonders so experiment with this one and let's see what things you can bring in smile.gif Add one technique at a time - for instance, slides - focus on adding then in the take and we will see what stays and what goes, ok?
SlowFingaX
Thanks to everyone for good tips and encouraging words wink.gif I'm going to test something today and then we'll see if it's better or just different smile.gif

Nice one huargo! Few questions: Which Jackson model is your guitar..just curious... wink.gif What's the purpose for that band on Guitar head near on the nut? Less noise or something like that or some other purpose?

How to get stronger and louder sound from GT-10, without needless humming smile.gif especially..if my fingers isn't on the strings..when I use PC or anything else biggrin.gif and of course something else than volume totally down...I mean the sound itself...or it's just the nature of this kind of multieffect way to make sound "stronger" wink.gif
Beat Zbinden
I'm in! Nice backing track!!
Huargo
QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Feb 3 2014, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks to everyone for good tips and encouraging words wink.gif I'm going to test something today and then we'll see if it's better or just different smile.gif

Nice one huargo! Few questions: Which Jackson model is your guitar..just curious... wink.gif What's the purpose for that band on Guitar head near on the nut? Less noise or something like that or some other purpose?

How to get stronger and louder sound from GT-10, without needless humming smile.gif especially..if my fingers isn't on the strings..when I use PC or anything else biggrin.gif and of course something else than volume totally down...I mean the sound itself...or it's just the nature of this kind of multieffect way to make sound "stronger" wink.gif

Hi Slow! my guitar it's a Jackson Sl3 it's a soloist made in Japan, nice guitar.
The band it's a velcro to prevent noise contained within this type of guitar ... see that video, it's in french but you can understain because it's very graphic..
Maybe you need a noise gate to reduce the humm.. see in your effects list of the gt-10.... if you are recording the take in a pc some daws have this kind of effect too...
seeyou!

Darius Wave

Seems like the track is very inspiring! smile.gif Great one smile.gif
Huargo
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 3 2014, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, seems like this one is already booming with you guys! biggrin.gif Very nice take man - good dynamics, articulation and melody!

Thanks Cosmin!
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 3 2014, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You you are very kind, I had a lot of mini mistakes in that take... maybe i can post a better one in some days...
thanks a lot!.
SlowFingaX
[quote name='huargo' date='Feb 3 2014, 09:09 PM' post='673512']
Hi Slow! my guitar it's a Jackson Sl3 it's a soloist made in Japan, nice guitar.
The band it's a velcro to prevent noise contained within this type of guitar ... see that video, it's in french but you can understain because it's very graphic..
Maybe you need a noise gate to reduce the humm.. see in your effects list of the gt-10.... if you are recording the take in a pc some daws have this kind of effect too...
seeyou!

Looking good guitar rolleyes.gif , I have much cheaper Jackson DX10D Dinky, but it's not a bad guitar for beginner cool.gif

Thanks for video (it was ok) and it tells more to me than just if it's french text smile.gif

I find out something like noise gate (Noise suppressor) options at least it filter out the noise when I'm not playing....with nice freeware software for GT-10 (FxFloorBoard).

I made something wrong with quote and editing...but it's maybe not a big problem smile.gif

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Feb 3 2014, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey mate - I think there should be a Noise Gate in the GT10 - I had the GT6 and GT8 but that was 6-7 years ago and I don't really remember the settings and such...

QUOTE (huargo @ Feb 3 2014, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Cosmin!

You you are very kind, I had a lot of mini mistakes in that take... maybe i can post a better one in some days...
thanks a lot!.

Nothing to it man! I loved it smile.gif

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Feb 3 2014, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in! Nice backing track!!

Welcome man!
Darius Wave
Hurago - no worries man but if You feel You can do better and You really want to make some changes that would be awesome as well smile.gif
Beat Zbinden
Here is my idea for the theme! Not the finished version.
Mertay
QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Feb 4 2014, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like it smile.gif
Huargo
QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Feb 4 2014, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good ideas here!

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Feb 4 2014, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey there mate - nice and melodic take here! If you want to make it shine even more, I suggest you to try and link the main ideas in a smoother way - they sound like they are not that well tied together. I mean, think up some passing phrases that connect the main phrases without creating a sensation of just rushing into them wink.gif
Darius Wave
Beat - man...that was cool! smile.gif You tone nicely cut's throug the mix. It's also a profit of the solo arrangement You made smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 3 2014, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is beautiful mate! I love the energy on this take and composition. Great job! smile.gif
SlowFingaX
QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Feb 4 2014, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good ideas and I'll think that the final version going to be very good! cool.gif
jstcrsn
every one has been saying how much this track is inspiring and I got nothin, just when I was about to give up,Bamm , in a big way

so it looks like I am in
and maybe I will get to record on a new T3I dslr that I am giving my wife for her birthday in 2 days
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 5 2014, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
every one has been saying how much this track is inspiring and I got nothin, just when I was about to give up,Bamm , in a big way

so it looks like I am in
and maybe I will get to record on a new T3I dslr that I am giving my wife for her birthday in 2 days

So what's the moral of this story?
jstcrsn
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 5 2014, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

a, um, take some loritabs and start playing with the backing track
Todd Simpson
Great question!! The more of this story is one simple thing PERSISTENCE!!!! smile.gif

That one thing is THE KEY To soooooo much in life.

WITH AND WITHOUT PAIN KILLERS:Crsn mentioned taking some pain killers and playing to the backing track. hmm. Well, there's that smile.gif But essentially what you are hopefully trying to work towards is being able to get in that relaxed, "in the zone" state without the use of drink/drugs. Not just crsn of course, I mean everybody. Once you can find that place in your mind where your not doubting yourself, not judging what you are playing before you play it, just letting it happen. You are on your way smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 5 2014, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great question!! The more of this story is one simple thing PERSISTENCE!!!! smile.gif

quote name='Gabriel Leopardi' date='Feb 5 2014, 12:24 PM' post='673747']
Mertay
Not sure if this helps but sometimes if I can't find a start I think of an ending and use it as a start, its actually a simple mind game rather than musical approach biggrin.gif

I mean, imagine as if this backing track is an outro rather than intro so you're only giving the finishing touches for a dramatic ending smile.gif just hit the few notes or scales and there, you've already started smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
I like the the way in which this discussion is going and to add my two cents:

1) To answer Gabe's question - the moral of the story is: buy your lady a video camera in order to have an excuse to make guitar movies laugh.gif

2) To get in the zone with music, is a matter of getting in the zone with everything you do smile.gif As long as you can empty your mind and hear the music coming from inside you, you can do a great job. It sounds like a bunch of philosophical mumbo jumbo, but it's actually not.

The more you become aware of the 'mental noise' blocking your awareness to your inner voice, the more you will be able to push it away and create the silence needed to hear what you have to hear. It's like being in a crowded summer town and having a wide window opened. You hear ALL the sounds outside, but not your lovely girl who speaks to you in the room. Close the darn window and listen to the lady - ahaa, you can hear her clear now, right? smile.gif

Here's Papa Het talking about getting in the zone: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry673756
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.